Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Waterproof Sprays

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Waterproof Sprays Reply with quote

Hi

Are those waterproof sprays any good?
How long do they usually last?

Which product would you recommend?

I've only just got dry from this morning
Crying or Very sad

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I use nikwax

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikwax-Tech-Wash-TX-Direct-300ml-Waterproof-Twin-Pack-/190727421374?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE&hash=item2c683d7dbe

Did my jacket last year and been in quite a few monsoons and its still fine. You also get one for the tent. I have just did this for my trip next week so half hoping it rains so i can say that its good stuff but yes its recomended for the jacket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:00 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thompsons water seal is MUCH cheaper and suitable for use on canvas. Thumbs Up

Just make sure you do it on a hot, sunny day because it's thinned with white spirit which takes a while to evaporate. I use it on my tents.

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

...Just make sure you do it on a hot, sunny day....

This could be a problem Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:09 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Thompsons water seal is MUCH cheaper and suitable for use on canvas. Thumbs Up

Random intarduber wrote:
Thompson's Water Seal used to be widely recommended for tents, tarpaulins and so on even though intended for brickwork, and the small print on the can used to mention canvas, but now "new improved formulation" water based version says on the tin "do not use on artificial fibres."

Tried the new potion on cordura? Thinking

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:49 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Tried the new potion

Oh for fuck sake. Have they gone all green on this too?

You can't get anything fucking decent any more. I had to SCOUR the DIY shops for proper eggshell paint to do my kitchen units. Nitromorse doesn't work any more and I can't buy nikwax in a tin.

Never mind the whole fucking living room door fiasco where I bought a tin of "Dulux indoor white gloss paint", painted three, eight glass panel doors with it, only to find it peeled off because it was latex based and not actually proper gloss paint at all. Meaning I had to strip all three down to bare wood with a heat gun then prime, undercoat and gloss them again. You can imagine how pleased I was about that!

This volatile organic compound embargo is a joke.

You'd think there weren't millions of motor vehicles with vented fuel tanks merrily discharging tonnes of VOCs into the atmosphere every second of every day the way they're worrying about the fumes from a can of brick waterproofer...

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the mistake of washing my textiles in normal washing powder, I was soaked next time it rained.

I used the nik nax wash in stuff, worked a bloody treat Thumbs Up

tsmith
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:37 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use Grangers Fabsil spray on my textiles.

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh forgot to say. The Nikwax spray for your tent. I had some left over and did my ruck sack and soft luggage and it worked great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:39 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
This volatile organic compound embargo is a joke.

If it stops one kitten from sneezing, it'll be worth it. Folded arms

The lulz about nitromors is that they took the dichloromethane out of it, which just means you have to buy it neat off of eBay. Doh!

stinkwheel wrote:
You'd think there weren't millions of motor vehicles with vented fuel tanks merrily discharging tonnes of VOCs into the atmosphere every second of every day the way

I hate to tell you, but that's also on the Brussels radar now. "Anti evaporation fuel systems" is on the list for bikes.

Back OT, I tried the NikWax stuff, both the wash in and spray on, and found that they did the sum total of fuck all (YMMV). My RST jacket still seeps through at the elbows. I'm pondering a duct tape solution.

Gavster88
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:16 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got the Nik Wax twin pack (wash+waterproofer) and done my gear in it tonight.

Will post some results once their all dried out and im out and about in the wet stuff!

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried nikwax spray on my textile jacket which W's waterproof last year.

The spray did absolutely shit all. Expensive waste of time

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinigami wrote:
Tried nikwax spray on my textile jacket which W's waterproof last year.

The spray did absolutely shit all. Expensive waste of time

Give the washing machine stuff a go next time. Thumbs Up

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a spray bottle of the Nikwax stuff too, but I have no idea if it works effectively, cos I've failed to get myself organised and actually use any of it yet

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 25 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Back OT, I tried the NikWax stuff, both the wash in and spray on, and found that they did the sum total of fuck all (YMMV). My RST jacket still seeps through at the elbows. I'm pondering a duct tape solution.

Duct tape...why didn't I think of that
I also am a suffer of wet elbows, I thought, how the fuck am I collecting water there?!

My trousers still fucked from first BCF BBQ, crotch all ripped up the middle, don't think any amount of nikwax will fix it Laughing
Duct tape however....

https://2.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/e/3/collegehumor.994f00ee35eb813e92328cf3e8565701.jpg in no time

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought nikwax, 2 types

Techwash - Guy said it'd bring my white bits up like new, didn't. Came out the exact same as it went in, waste of a fiver.

The waterproofing stuff - Did this afterwards, seemed to have taken to the coat, left weird jizz marks on it, yet to test it in the rain Thumbs Up

Sure I wont have to wait long for that though Rolling Eyes

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:05 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Bought nikwax, 2 types

Techwash - Guy said it'd bring my white bits up like new, didn't. Came out the exact same as it went in, waste of a fiver.

The waterproofing stuff - Did this afterwards, seemed to have taken to the coat, left weird jizz marks on it, yet to test it in the rain Thumbs Up

Sure I wont have to wait long for that though Rolling Eyes

Aha. That explains the good weather this weekend. That and me forgetting my sunglasses.

Codemonkey
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:26 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done my trousers & jacket with the wash in Nikwax stuff. Recently they were completely useless in rain (probably due to being washed in normal detergent). Used the techwash stuff first then the tx direct wash in stuff (got a twin pack off amazon).

Not had chance to try it in the rain yet fortunately but I stuck the leg of the trousers under the tap to see if it had done anything and now the water just beads off, no soak in at all unlike beforehand where they acted like a sponge, let the water soak through which then ran down my legs & started to fill my boots!

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wash in / spray on is only a replant coating and won't make no-waterproof items (lacking a membrane) waterproof.

They allow the material to bead off water, but this is pretty useless with the rain being driven into the fabric. They will help the material to dry out quicker though..

Put the clothes in the airing cupboard / warm tumble dryer after washing to bring out the water resistance properties the best.

Nikwax for myself, or Grangers. It's not really worth £5/wash though. Confused

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:58 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the nikwax tecwash and spray every 18months or so on my non-goretex lined berghaus walking jacket. Works great for me. I've yet to require any for my bike jacket though, but I have no reason to use anything different Smile

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used the Nikwax "tent and gearproof" stuff on my bike cover. Made the water bead off for about 5 seconds. Also left the weird jizz stains that alpha-9 mentioned. It also says it's UV protective. Is it buggery. The south side of my bike cover is grey, the north side is black. Waste of money imo.

Sir Black Pig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 09 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used that tech 7 stuff in the past, worked just fine. Got some nikwax in the cupboard too, never used it yet.

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 09 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noxious89123 wrote:
Used the Nikwax "tent and gearproof" stuff on my bike cover. Made the water bead off for about 5 seconds. Also left the weird jizz stains that alpha-9 mentioned. It also says it's UV protective. Is it buggery. The south side of my bike cover is grey, the north side is black. Waste of money imo.

Perhaps the stuff was actually a sachet of semen all along Thinking

i.p.phrealy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 12 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:

Perhaps the stuff was actually a sachet of semen all along Thinking

they'd need a lot of wankers working at the factory to fill that many bottles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 316 days between these two posts...

Andy9934
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 25 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump an old thread, any developments here? I have goretex trousers which let in minimal moisture and an FT jacket which lets in a little more but I'd like to ride through the winter and I don't want to be wet and cold!

Is nikwax still the one to get or is there something equivalent or better?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 217 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2