Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

18000 miles in a year on a Chinese 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

jetski
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:30 - 05 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems the only legitimate argument for not getting a brand new Chinese is that you can get a second hand Japanese for the same price. I never had that option so I bought a second hand Chinese. a kaisar xtr, also known as a lexmoto. it's a cbr copy. it's 2 years old and I have had it for about 6 months. I use it every day and obviously it's still young but I have never once had any problems. it starts perfectly every time, I really couldn't be happier with it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 05 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetski wrote:
it seems the only legitimate argument for not getting a brand new Chinese is that you can get a second hand Japanese for the same price. I never had that option so I bought a second hand Chinese. a kaisar xtr, also known as a lexmoto. it's a cbr copy. it's 2 years old and I have had it for about 6 months. I use it every day and obviously it's still young but I have never once had any problems. it starts perfectly every time, I really couldn't be happier with it

Chances are it will go & break down now Laughing

Look after it & dry the frame after a wet ride as their prone to Rust
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

flumpy7
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:19 - 05 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qwiktune wrote:
Just to add my 2 cents, i did just under 16k miles in about 8 months on my chinky 125, still going strong. It is however a shell of its former self. The clocks removed due to them packing up, starter motor dieing and being removed so it kick start only.

Its actually been reliable.

Funny definition of reliable Confused

Bigond
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:27 - 06 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

symonh2000 wrote:
Kymco are Korean IIRC and have a decent reputation.

It's from Taiwan, there's only one factory not in china which is in Jakarta.

ruck bodgers2
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 03:16 - 07 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamWise72 wrote:

Badgers be already dead! Maybe I should now aim for a live one? Not gonna litre though, that incident made me shit my pants, maybe I'm not cut out to be am animal culling stunt rider.

i took a hedgehog out tonight sam .........not for a drink

. sorta seen him a bit late and swerved round him
in the middle of the road so i raced round the island to pick him up and take him out the road . had to stand in the middle and stop the traffic but someone had already splatted him . so i took him out the road and stuck my finger up at the taxi driver who had just passed him .

r.i.p sonic

whats the miles upto so far on your mission

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:44 - 07 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deal in chinese bikes all the time and I had one of these not long ago, it had 957 miles on the clock and it was hanging so your already beating that!

Having said that I bought a Chituma cg125 clone from a courier in london with 58,000miles on the clock, still on its original engine, the guy had changed the oil every 2000miles from new and covered it in thick grease from new, it was minging and tatty as hell but still rode pretty well.

Things I would sort out from my experience of chinese bikes:

If its chrome protect it, fork gaiters are good and grease everything.

the paintwork will also need similar looking after although tank and panels usually survive fine.

Take every electrical connector apart, grease and waterproof them.

take every bolt out and copperslip it.

replace anything rubber as and when it fails with something better quality.

change the spark plug and cap for NGK, do regular oil changes.

whenever you replace consumables ie chain/sprockets/tyres/brake pads use better quality jap parts!

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 07 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of these engines ain't bad to be fair and can run with the jap equivalent bikes whilst in good nick. I've yet to see a set of clocks last on chinese bikes last more than 10,000 miles so interesting to see if you do better! Keep posting Wink

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 07 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spotted this. Good on you for trying it. I'm not going to debate the choice of bike because you've got it already...so it's all academic and been discussed 100 times before on BCF.

Maybe consider a set of Tucano Urbano muffs. I never got on with heated grips last winter as my finger tips still froze. I'm getting myself a set imminently.

I live in Southampton myself (Bitterne) and can't help wondering what route you take to Windsor to avoid the M3? Passing your test just to be able to take that route seems like a very good investment to me.

Good luck and let me know if you need a mechanical hand. If I can't work it out I have a couple of mates who probably can. Karma

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

beechbone wrote:
Just spotted this. Good on you for trying it. I'm not going to debate the choice of bike because you've got it already...so it's all academic and been discussed 100 times before on BCF.

Maybe consider a set of Tucano Urbano muffs. I never got on with heated grips last winter as my finger tips still froze. I'm getting myself a set imminently.

I live in Southampton myself (Bitterne) and can't help wondering what route you take to Windsor to avoid the M3? Passing your test just to be able to take that route seems like a very good investment to me.

Good luck and let me know if you need a mechanical hand. If I can't work it out I have a couple of mates who probably can. Karma

I'm around Southampton-ish area too, and have many hammers and cable ties. Mr. Green Thumbs Up

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:25 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I'm at around 1700 miles, not completely sure as the speedo cable wants replacing. I ACF50'ed the thing to within an inch of its life this weekend. I also binned it on a roundabout entry, minimal damage, but mullered the screen. New tyres are on the menu after that.

As far as route, through Chandler's Ford to Winchester, then from there, up the A31 to Farnborough, then across to Camberley, and across to Windsor from there. After my off today, my boss is very keen for me to take a few days off and do my test Smile I've got Hein Gericke Pathan gloves now, which seem good, but fluffy muffs, heated grips and HiD are on the menu.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread, please keep it up Thumbs Up

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamWise72 wrote:
Thanks guys! I'm at around 1700 miles, not completely sure as the speedo cable wants replacing. I ACF50'ed the thing to within an inch of its life this weekend. I also binned it on a roundabout entry, minimal damage, but mullered the screen. New tyres are on the menu after that.

As far as route, through Chandler's Ford to Winchester, then from there, up the A31 to Farnborough, then across to Camberley, and across to Windsor from there. After my off today, my boss is very keen for me to take a few days off and do my test Smile I've got Hein Gericke Pathan gloves now, which seem good, but fluffy muffs, heated grips and HiD are on the menu.

Sorry to hear about the crash. Hope the screen doesn't cost you too much to replace. Even if you don't upgrade the bike, using the M3 is going to cut a LOT of time off your journey.

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:57 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screen was cheap as chips, only £35. Bike is due in for a service anyhow, so I've asked them to put a new one on, and a pair of Michelin Pilot Sporty, since it was a slipping front wheel where I REALLY don't feel it should have happened that caused the crash. Gonna stay off it til then.

The M3 ought to take an hour or more out of the journey, which will be bloody lovely.

Hobgoblin
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:52 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested on a cost total as you go on.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was clearly the tyres that caused the crash... Rolling Eyes

Also bare in mind that these speedos over read by about 20%, so bare that in mind when you're totting up the 18k.

Mine lasted around 18k in my first year and I stopped riding it because the monkey metal frame snapped in half on an A road. Never crashed into anything, lowsided it once at low speeds and a couple of drops, but that's it.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:

Have you ever ridden a bike on chinese rubber in the wet? The RXS came with some of those plastic tyres on and it was alright in the dry but when it rained... Shocked
mattsprattuk This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:14 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:

*shrug* think what you like. Lots of people seem to find they lack grip in the wet. Clearly it would have been possible to come through that situation without falling off, but I suspect with an ordinary amount of grip, such as most people would expect, it wouldn't have happened. You may disagree, and I won't really care. I guess I'll find out when I have new tyres on it.

jetski
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:26 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Speedo on my kaisar xtr125 is spot on accurate... up to 30mph lol. when it says 40 it's actually doing 35. when my GPS says its doing 50 the Chinese speedo says all kinds of figures. I was hoping to use my GPS once and mark using a white paint pen on 10mph increments on the black plastic of the clock. but it wasn't as simple as that. riding steadily at 50mph the needs just keeps rising and doesn't really settle until it says 70. then when I punch it to 60 it says 80. that's it maxed then. bloody pain but as it is accurate up to 30 its not too bad.

the tyres are god awful and the back wheel has tide up many times, luckily I have been able to keep it up, it's never been dropped. I was going to buy some real tyres but I would rather spend the money on the test instead and buy a bigger bike. I'm very happy with this one mind, nothing has died on it, starts first time everytime, although I guess it should as it's only 2 years old

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:30 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I'm well aware that my off was caused by a combination of the tyres, the conditions, and my inexperience, but guess which one of those I can address instantly?

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
beechbone wrote:
Have you ever ridden a bike on chinese rubber in the wet? The RXS came with some of those plastic tyres on and it was alright in the dry but when it rained... Shocked

Read the rest of my post, fool. You can't do 18k in a year without riding every day of the year really.
No problems with the rubber. Admittedly, they wouldn't put up with the same stuff my ZX6r ones do, but they're fine for a 125.

Fair enough. I guess it depends on the brand you get. But my personal experience of chinese tyres is not good.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:45 - 09 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the tyres, I'd vouch for Mitch M45's as opposed to the pilots.
Its a more 'all-round' tread pattern & possibly a bit better in the wet.

Cheaper, and longer lasting, but still more than grippy enough for a commuter. Run them on the 125 super-dream and they were confidence inspiring enough for me to deck the pegs, when I get the devil in me. Seems more than 'adequate', hence suggestions pilots might be a tad 'over-kill' and not give same 'value'.

As for three factors in crash; tyres; skill; conditions; good idea... BUT... yes weather conditions we have no control over, other than not going out in it. Tyres? Yeah, quick easy 'upgrade' improving your riding? Yes harder and takes longer...... but track mechanic joke....want a quicker bike? Fit a better rider!

£120 for a pair of tyres; how long they going to last? 10K miles? And what they going to do for you? How many 'offs' MIGHT they save in that time?

Same money, could (round here) buy you a complete rider training course to test standard; 12 two hours lessons, once a week.....

Makes you that better rider; fits any bike; never wears out; gets better the more you use it; more likely to save you more 'offs' in the same time you might have a set of decent tyres, and more still in all the years to come. And does more than a pair of tyres helping you go round corners; helps every aspect of your riding, for ever.

Very hard to put value on, the accidents we DONT have, but think about it; it IS something you can have almost straight away; and it is something that will do FAR more, FAR more often, and long term deliver SO much more value, and so much more confidence, and so much more safety.

Get on a bike with hoirrible bakerlite tyres? Those skills will let you get the most from them and help avoid having an off becouse of them.

Upgrade to good rubber? THEN that training delivers double whammy; tyres aren't a quick fix problem patch; and you can use those skills to either ride with even more margin for error and safety or exploit them to the max and for the same margins get so much more from the bike.

Think about it; if you can have BOTH great, but if you can only have one, or have one before the other..... my cash goes on SKILLS.... sooner you have them, sooner you can put them to work, more value you get from them.

On topic of speedo vs mileage.... we had this debate a little while ago, and G I think came up with some accuracy data, as to whether 10% over on the speedo meant that oddo readings would also be 10% up on 'true' mileage.

Speedo and odometer are both driven off the cable from the front wheel.

Basic answer was, that the oddo is direct drive click counter counting wheel revs, and as such, provided the tyre is the right size and the right pressure, the accuracy of them tends to be pretty high, as in +/- 3%.

Speedometer needle however records speed by having two magnets on a metal disc on the end of the speedo cable, and another disc with a couple of magnets on the end of the speedo needle shaft, and a big watch-spring. As driven disc rotates, magnets try and drag the needle dis round, but that winds up the watch spring. So faster the driven plate turns more often it passes the needle plate, harder it drags it round against the spring, so higher the needle moves up the scale. And its no where near as accurate as the oddo.

Lore says speed accuracy is about 10%+2 towards over reading; and they have to be within limit at 30, so true 30 could be reading 35..... but take that to true 120, and spedo likely to be showing around 135.

But basically speedo accuracy tends to be poor, oddometer accuracy actually not so bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 06:48 - 09 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with training is finding the time, not the money; very hard to find anyone who will do 2 hour lessons here, never mind for £120. However, me coming off has encouraged my boss to offer me unpaid extra time off to do an intensive course, so that's now the plan.

As far as speedo readings vs distance, I ignored that because I don't care. My intention here is to show how a chinese bike copes with around that sort of distance; the precise distance isn't important; it'll be about 120 miles a day, 3 days a week, all year, and that's the important part - it's hard use compared to what most 125s get.

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:55 - 12 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

New boots and panties!

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/Samuelw72/20121012_093820.jpg

Conti-go tyres, which just from touch feel grippier than the Shingko ones. Had a new screen fitted too, plus the service done, and it turned out that my clutch lever was flapping around due to a sheared bolt from the crash. They couldn't drill out the bolt end, but the nice thing about a Chinese bike; the replacement was only £22. So, all shipshape and Bristol fashion again, uncomfortable bill, but such is life. (oh, no argument about the warranty replacement of the speedo drive)

In other news, definitely taking the time off to do an intensive course; having driven up the motorway (I drive my tiny Daihatsu HiJet at about the same speeds my 125 will do), I am now certain that I'll save 2 hours a day commuting time, plus have much better lighting and generally a more pleasant ride to do in the rain and cold when I can ride the bike on the motorway. At that time of day, 60 mph is plenty fast enough without holding ANYONE up, so I want my license ASAP!

BigJoe78
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:21 - 12 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long does your journey currently take on the 125?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6