Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

18000 miles in a year on a Chinese 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:13 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: 18000 miles in a year on a Chinese 125 Reply with quote

So, I decided to take up motorcycling partly because I just wanted to, and partly because I got a new job. I live in Southampton, the job is in Windsor, and I need to be in the office 3 days a week. It's a 120 mile round trip (actually a little bit more, but that's close enough), so 260 miles a week, or 1500 a month, roughly. I know people say "You won't save money by motorcycling", but actually, my fuel costs so far are about £30 a week, whereas by car it would be £70 or more, plus £36 parking. That means I'm saving almost £400 a month, so the purchase cost of the bike, the gear, and my CBT and tests will be covered in less than half the year.

Now, I've had a lot of naysayers, from those who think I'll find it too cold (I've cycled year round for 3 years), to those who think I'll find the bike to slow and uncomfortable, and most of all, those who think my Lexmoto Arizona will fall apart in short order. Now on the one hand, the Arizona was a poor choice; with hindsight, I'd rather have the Arrow for more nippiness and better riding position, but on the other hand, the Arizona is made by one of the manufacturers who are considered more reputable, so swings and roundabouts.

My plan here is to document the year, how it goes, any issues I have with the bike, the maintenance I do, and any mods I make. One way or another, we should establish whether there are chinese bikes worth having; I think if it gives me those 18k miles without undue trouble, people will have to start giving it a bit more credence. If it gives me big problems, well, here will be the evidence.

Here's the bike. As you can see, I've fitted a large topbox, and also a screen which gives a certain amount of wind protection to my hands.

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/Samuelw72/20120816_101638.jpg

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened this thread thinking you had completed 18k in a year on a Chinese but it turns out that is what your attempting.

I think this could be a short thread. 6 weeks. Wink
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Redoko
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groove wrote:
I opened this thread thinking you had completed 18k in a year on a Chinese but it turns out that is what your attempting.

I think this could be a short thread. 6 minutes. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:26 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the bike for a month, and these have been my adventures so far.

Picked it up, and 4 days later, did my first ride. To Cambridge. I figured 141 miles would make a good shakedown for both the bike and me! No problems on the way there beyond a sore arse; satnav on my phone guided me, and I took about 5 hours including coffee stops etc. Whilst in Cambridge, I had a nightmare, got flu and had a good friend die, so wasn't in the best of moods for my ride home. Got as far as Bedford before the bike unexpectedly died on me. My calculations told me I had plenty of fuel, and a glance in the tank appeared to confirm it, so after messing around for a bit, I called the RAC. It took over 2 hours for anyone to rock up; they somehow felt that a single cylinder carbed 125 wasn't something they could fix at the roadside and sent a guy with a special recovery truck. He was amazed they hadn't tried, asked me to describe the symptoms, and gave me a funny look. Then he switched to reserve, turned it over, and the bike started just fine. I felt like a total noob. He followed me to the nearest petrol station, where we confirmed that the 16 litre tank I thought I had was a figment of my imagination, and I was on my way. The bike isn't exactly keen on hot starts, but it does get going, and despite still shaking off the flu, and my 2 hours by the roadside, I get home fine.

First week in the new job, and I ride too and from Windsor 3 times with no issues. Week 2, and we have a change of plan. I have to go to Hamburg, and I'm delighted to learn that Gatwick has free parking for bikes. I spend the day at the office, then head across London. I quickly discover that my Satnav's estimate of time to get there was optimistic, and have to improve my filtering sharpish. I park up, get out of my gear, and have to lock my helmet to the rear wheel, as it won't fit in the top box with my textiles. I make it to the departure gate just as the other passengers are boarding.

On the way home, passport control is interminable, and by the time I've worked out how to get out of the car park with my bike, it's midnight and pouring with rain. What follows is a truly horrible 3 hour ride; my trousers leak, my boots leak, it's all twisty, unlit single carriageway, my visor continually steams and my lights are feeble, so I'm struggling along at 40, feeling on the ragged edge even at that speed, given the visibility. I get home at 3 am, knowing that I've started to taste the tougher side of motorcycling.

On the way to the office in the morning, I suffer my first issue with the bike; the speedo packs up. I've done about 1200 miles, and it's a small thing, covered by warranty, but annoying since the bike was serviced the day before, and I'll have to go back. Waterproof overtrousers are keeping my legs dry now, and I've ordered sealskinz socks, a 55w bulb and a Fog City visor insert, as well as a can of ACF50. A much happier ride.

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:27 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I fitted the brighter bulb. Also on the way are £4 heated grips from China, and next weekend, I'll thoroughly clean the bike and ACF50 everything.

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/Samuelw72/20120929_155559.jpg

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/Samuelw72/20120929_160235.jpg

More updates as they occur!

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:28 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, I've already done 4 weeks and 1200 miles. You don't think I'll last a bit longer?

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't think anyone really cares... 18k is nothing for any bike other than a chinky POS.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 2500 miles in a month last month. Cool Keep up on the mileage, I'm sure that bike will last long enough. Few years at least. Thumbs Up

TimNorwich
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:29 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much was the bike may I ask?

If it was say... £1200, wouldn't you have been better buying a used Honda 125? I had bought an XR 125 at 17 for a similar price and it never skipped a beat in a years commuting and daily riding. When it came to selling it I got £2-300 less than I paid after a years ownership.

Your bike cost a lot to buy, will cost a lot to constantly fix and will sell for £500 in less than a years time when it falls apart. Then you have the constant ball ache of being late to work, late home and being stuck on the side of the road for hours waiting for recovery.

No brainer really Shocked
Speedshite 50cc > Honda XR125L > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 02 Honda Hornet > 05 Honda CG125 winter hack > 04 Kawasaki ER-5 > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > 05 Honda CBR600F > 01 Honda Hornet

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:49 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's the test really, isn't it? If you're right, then yes, I'd have been better off with a used CG125. If it actually behaves itself, rarely lets me down, and doesn't fall apart after a year, then maybe the blanket "all Chinese bikes are shit and a waste of money" will need to be revised in favour of "some of them are shit, but some are pretty decent." If it lasts me the year, it'll have paid for itself, and even if i have to admit I'd have been better with a used Jap, it won't be too painful.

Nick 50
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Lexmoto is as bad as some other Chinese firms.

That being said, the price they sell for new, is ridiculously cheap. They must find a way of keeping costs down to sell them so cheap. Invariably that usually means lower quality parts are used.

You might get lucky and get a good one and with good maintenance it might make 18k miles in a year.

There is a lot of chrome on the bike, make sure you protect it over winter. Salt will eat through it pretty quickly and then the rust will set in. Look after the swing-arm, and rear springs, they tend to rust quickly and badly.

Good luck Thumbs Up

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinese bikes are cheap for a reason and their reputation is not unwarranted. That being said, if you regularly maintain and literally check every nut and bolt - then you should catch any problems before they occur and prevent them.

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are scared about rust on the chrome, just lacquer it all.

Redoko
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a lot of ACF50.

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:13 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redoko wrote:
Buy a lot of ACF50.

This is what i have done, gonna ACF it within an inch of it's life next weekend

Hobgoblin
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:15 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamWise72 wrote:
I park up, get out of my gear, and have to lock my helmet to the rear wheel, as it won't fit in the top box with my textiles.

Just pondering on the variables here, length of time you helmet was locked to your wheel outside, weather conditions it endured, state it was in when you returned, what it was like to wear up return. I'd of been more tempted to haul it with me.

Good luck with this btw.

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:13 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike was under cover, didn't get cold, lining didn't get wet. I didn't like leaving it, but there's no way have let me take it on the plane.

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:15 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was only there for 30 hours, and showed no signs of damage.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:19 - 29 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamWise72 wrote:
It was only there for 30 hours, and showed no signs of damage.

I know its habit of drunk people to piss against bikes parked near my flat...

If a helmet was there... free piss pot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jasond
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:18 - 30 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

karma for doing it dude, & why not? How boring would life be if you never had any issues with anything....don't post on here about the "problems" you've had, tell us about the "interesting things that happened to me today" instead. Smile

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 30 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redoko wrote:
Buy a lot of ACF50.

+1

symonh2000
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:51 - 30 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of looking for another bike, yeasterday I had a look at a couple of YBR125's.

Both were a couple of years old and I was shocked at how bad the finish on them was.

Exhaust and frames were rusting, and they just felt fragile compared compared to Yamaha 125's of old.

After seeing the YBR, with its poor finish, made in China lable and made in China embossed wheels I am sort of Tempted by a new Lexmoto street once funds allow, I haven't seen one in the metal yet to decide though.

My brother has had a couple of Chinese scooters, generally they were pretty reliable, just a few niggles like rusting bolts, loose fastners, steamed up headlights and stuff like that.

I am interested to see how you get on. Wink

Acemastr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 30 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My heated grips and 55w bulb on my YBR125 caused it to cut out mid way through filtering through traffic..

They simply can't handle the electricity they require.

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:42 - 30 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not the YBR, but Rogerborg had this same bike, and found it handled heated grips and a 55w lap fine. Maybe not SO inferior? As far add passing drunks, there are few of those in an airport car park. Also, I had no choice.

GREENI3
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 30 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you have wanted an Arrow instead?

The Street is bigger and faster.
Probably the best Chinese bike on sale at the moment.

P.S - Lovin the 'Showa' stickers on the forks. Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6