Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

18000 miles in a year on a Chinese 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

symonh2000
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:46 - 28 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to get an update.

Hobgoblin
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:43 - 13 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamWise72 wrote:
His last message

Almost 2 months ago.

Hope the worst hasn't happened this was getting to be an read.

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:49 - 07 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody drew my attention to the fact this hasn't been updated. Long story short, the darker and rainier it got, the less I was able to cope with the 2.5 hour ride. There's a long, dark, narrow section of road on the way home where on a rainy night, I could literally see nothing but the oncoming lights, and all I could do was go slow and steer to the left of them. I was getting home massively stressed, so I decided to knock it on the head and commute by car til I could afford to do a direct access test. That should be fairly soon!

In the meantime, the bike continues to be very reliable, and with a coat of ACF50 has neither dissolved into a pile, nor become horribly scruffy looking in the meantime. So, DA course soon, then it'll be up and down the motorway for the little beast. I'll probably use it all summer, and see how I feel come October; I suspect that on the relatively well lit motorway, with the traffic going the same way as me, I may be just fine. Equally, I may have saved up some pennies and bought a BMW K75RT by then.

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 07 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

upgrade the headlight. gs500 light with a hid kit..

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:34 - 07 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would help, but honestly, I think it was more the dark and the rain and grime on my visor. I wear glasses, and the combination was something fierce!

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 07 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was starting to wonder if you were still alive. I don't blame you a bit for taking a break...it's been a bloody horrible winter.

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:25 - 07 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the reason I'm not easy to kill is that I'm reasonable at spotting when I might be about to do it Wink

I have money on the way in the next few weeks for a test. I've also just bought a Jag XJ6 4 litre Sport, so driving is currently more of a pleasure than usual....

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 07 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamWise72 wrote:
That would help, but honestly, I think it was more the dark and the rain and grime on my visor. I wear glasses, and the combination was something fierce!

Take the glasses off and just keep your visor clean then? If you ride fast enough the wind pushes the rain off your visor anyway.

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:35 - 07 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I take the glasses off, I might as well just close my eyes Smile I did try everything I could to keep the visor clean; washing it carefully every night, using polish to make the water bead off better, wiping it with my glove.

If it's not a problem for you, brilliant, but just to be clear, whatever I tried, I couldn't see shit in those conditions.

i.p.phrealy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 09 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

the head light on most chinese bikes is pretty dire, I know it is on mine. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:05 - 09 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamWise72 wrote:
Part of the reason I'm not easy to kill is that I'm reasonable at spotting when I might be about to do it Wink

I have money on the way in the next few weeks for a test. I've also just bought a Jag XJ6 4 litre Sport, so driving is currently more of a pleasure than usual....

Bludy hell.... you buy the cheapest nastyest 125 going, to 'save money' on the basis it would pay for itself inside a year.......

And end up in a JAG!

Crikey it must have save you an effing fortune!!!! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thosoneill
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 07:00 - 11 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

suppose he could let us know how reliable a jag is Wink

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:55 - 11 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
SamWise72 wrote:

Bludy hell.... you buy the cheapest nastyest 125 going, to 'save money' on the basis it would pay for itself inside a year.......

And end up in a JAG!

Crikey it must have save you an effing fortune!!!! Wink

I don't like to do things by halfs! It's not as expensive as you'd think; drive steadily and it'll return 30 mpg on the motorway, which isn't bad for a 4.0. My other car is a 1 litre Hijet, which is fantastic for all sorts of things, but on the motorway it's slow, noisy, and struggles to get 40mpg at 55 mph. Mine has 110k miles on it, and doesn't need the abuse. The Jag is frankly an expensive treat, and part of my thinking is that the bike will help me keep my fuel bills down once I pass my test. When I'm not perched on a Chinese 125 struggling to do 60mph, I'll be cossetted in a gentleman's club of a motor, resisting the temptation to floor it (it goes like a train). Nice to have options Smile

Efes123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 12 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamWise72 wrote:
I don't like to do things by halfs! It's not as expensive as you'd think; drive steadily and it'll return 30 mpg on the motorway, which isn't bad for a 4.0.

30mpg, I'd kill for that. I get around 9 in town, and 20 if I'm really lucky and drive like a girl on the motorway. Which, sadly, is one of the reasons I don't drive it any more Sad

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:56 - 12 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Efes123 wrote:
SamWise72 wrote:
I don't like to do things by halfs! It's not as expensive as you'd think; drive steadily and it'll return 30 mpg on the motorway, which isn't bad for a 4.0.

30mpg, I'd kill for that. I get around 9 in town, and 20 if I'm really lucky and drive like a girl on the motorway. Which, sadly, is one of the reasons I don't drive it any more Sad

Yeah, but you've got a V12. Is it a Series 3? Mines an X300, so I've got the AJ16 4.0. Apparently for £60 I can get a modified crank sensor bracket that will get me a couple of mpg more, and a little quicker off the line too. Seriously considering LPG, though. It would pay for itself within a year, even if I ride the bike regularly, because of the long trips I end up on.

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:03 - 12 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, an XJS. I'm slow off the mark today. Anyway, you don't have to kill for 30 mpg, you can get it for about £600 Smile (mine was more but it's rust free, waxoyled, and generally in very very good nick. And it's black. Which is the right colour). The temptation to floor it to hear the muffled roar and feel it haul the horizon towards you unfeasibly quickly is always there, though.....

Efes123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 12 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, this is my third Jag, although the missus say it has to go now I have three bikes Sad I did have a series 3, and actually drove it to Turkey, and back, that was a holiday and a half Very Happy Got it to 120 on the autobahn, but bottled it after a few minutes, it was 20 years old after all. I think I was getting about 3 mpg at that point, but a great smile factor

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:27 - 12 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

LPG never 'pays for itself'...

I have two LPG'd Range-Rovers, neither kit has clambered out the car with a wallet and offered to pay for a fillup!

You dont 'Save' money by spending money... you save money NOT
spending money!

Woman's logic; buys three times as much shampoo as she needs, becouse its on a 3 for 2 offer, and claims to have 'saved' almost two quid for the free bottle, when in fact she's actually spent almost two quid more than intended to buy the second bottle, she didn't need; in order to get yet a third bottle she doesn't need even more!

At best, you buy an LPG kit, and it improves the saleabilty of the car if you want to punt it on at any point. Some-times it may add a bit of value to the resale, but don't bank on it.

Meanwhile the primea-facia estimates that at 90p/l compared to £1.35/l, you are going to 'save' 30% dont work out.

Unless you buy effoff expensive sequential injection gas system; you still need full-price fuel for warm up. On a big engine, that can be a long time, and anything under perhaps, five miles, you are often gong to be where you want to go, before the thermostat reckons the evaporator is hot enough to start boiling gas and let you switch over to the cheap stuff.

MPG will also tend to drop slightly on gas; again depends on the system how bad the drop off may be, but its in the order of 5%.

Engine will hapily burn full-price petrol, or cheap gas, but to get the best out of either fuel, the mixture has to be spot on and the ignition timing optimised, and if you want ultimate LPG performance, best burrowing into the engine and re-tuning it; they can handle and like a lot more compression, and a bit of camming, to get the 'bulk' charge into the motor and squash the heck out of it.

Running 'Duel-Fuel' its always going to be a compromise; there are a few widgets that can improve things a bit; ignition advance by retard units; closed loop gas mixture valves etc... but you wont get the best out of either fuel, and power will drop and mpg go up one one, other or both depending on set up.

It is noticeable; on one 30mph road near me, if I'm on FPF, then the Rangie will drive up its mild incline like its not there; but if I'm on gas.... its 'just' steep enough that the Auto-box down shifts to make up the extra oomph.

While on gas, while the engine is not significantly less powerful.... we're talking the power of a couple of lawn mowers of a clapped out CG125 over a couple of hundred ponies..... it IS significantly less responsive, the effective fuel mapping of the 'bulk' gas being a lot less precice, and having quite a bit more 'lag' when you want to shift a big chunk of it in a hurry.

Think about it; Rangie is quoted at 15mpg. Thats a third of a litre, a coke can quantity of liquid fuel, every mile, or at 60per, every minute..... I'd struiggle to down a can of coke in a minute..... but that's the flow rate of fuel at highway speeds. Now boil that coke to about 25 times liquid volume, and its STILL a compressed gas!

On gas, car feels decidedly lazier, both because of the lower response, and the small power loss. Ecconomy you get from the stuff, is then flattered by it disenclining you to drive it very hard... and as some-one once suggested to me.... why have a V8 if you ENT going to make it howl? Might as well have an Aga engine in there! He has a point! One probably more pertinant to a sporty saloon or exec coupe.

So... yes, gives you that option to make it shift when you want; or sit back, relax and enjoy cheap motoring.... but when you do want it to bustle, you have to flick the switch, let it clear its pipes, then it will go.... with a nagging thought in the back of your mind... "This is costing me a fortune!"

Which it is anyway... becouse very unlikely you will EVER see any of that 'saving' from bunging in 90p gas instead of £135 FPF.... you will still fill up, and probably more often given the small capacity tanks you can fit in a saloon...... "Oh, only costs £30 to fill! What the heck"... so you will simply drive to whatever your budget will allow...... which is fine..... you sort of forget the 'this has to pay for itself' suggestion from the beginning, and start making excuses like "Yeah, but think how much I would have to spend if I was buying Full-Price-Fuel for ALL these miles I HAVE (suddenly they are all essential hourneys!) to do!"

Until, one evening, you find yourself, miles from home, in an LPG 'black-spot', where you have just driven ten miles to find the petrol station in the LPG guide.... to discover that it stopped selling the stuff three years ago, when the franchise changed... and chap behind the counter knows of no other place that does it, and casually comments "Yeah, get a lot of people asking for that!" and you have a dilemah, do you fill with FPF? Do you go hunting the next LPG outlet in the book, another 15miles off your route? Do you go home on FPF and take the hit, and fill up at your regular LPG place on Monday!

At which point, suddenly LPG has not saved you anything; encouraged you to carry on spending, and worse, dropped you in the shit having to spend MORE than you had intended....

Great stuff, and is nice to run cheap fuel; but you have to look at it as a 'Bonus' when you can run on it, rather than expecting to.

If you really want to save money.... don't drive! Ask yourself WHY you need to go some-where, and get the miles down!

Rangie oiffers good example of how much its not the car that effects ecconomy, but how you drive it.

If I get on the Motorway for a long haul down to a Landy-Meet, and cruise at a considereate 55mph, I can get the fuel consumption up over 25, nudging the 30 mark. Especially if I have the road tyres on, and pumped up. Muds, at lower pressure, and getting a husstle on, that can drop back into the low teens... or out of them... while round town, single figures are not hard to see.

That's almost 90% varience either way, depending on driving conditions & style; or +/- 50% fuel costs, whichever fuel its running on.

But, average annual mileage is around 15K miles a year, for average car. Average commuter, travels eight miles to and from work five days a week, forty five weeks a year; that;s only 3,600 miles. Less than 1/4 of the annual mileage put on the car, the 'essential' road miles. Rest is cranked up going to the shops, popping round to see freinds; "Social Domestic Pleasure' as the insurance companies class it. Of all that mileage, three times the miles used going to and from work; aproximately 2/3 is shear convenicence miles, becouse the car is there.

IF you thought about your journeys; and didn't waste miles poping frivilousely to teh shop for a pint of milk or whatever, you could probably halve your annual mileage and more than halve your annual fuel spend, as well as the maintenence costs......

Lots of ways to find ecconomy... and as said, best way to save money is not spend it in the first place!

Works for me, at least! If only because I rarely have it to spend in the first place! V8 Range-Rovers plus motorbikes, and low rate mobility allowance to pay for them does not leave a large margin for inneficiency!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:28 - 13 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well, in counter to that:

My commute is three days a week, 62 miles each way, 50 of them motorway, so warmup is not an issue. There's an LPG station on the motorway en route, so fillup won't even take me out of my way. Furthermore, when I'm doing a big programme of workshops (5 months out of the year), then I'm driving to Leicester, North Derbyshire, Newcastle, Plymouth, all over the place. I'm sure I'll have to use full price petrol some of the time, but even if I just have one fill of LPG for each of those trips, the saving will be significant.

Yes, it's fun to put the boot down and hear the big cat roar, but the main reason I bought it was for quiet, comfortable motorway cruising, and when I do that, it returns 30mpg on petrol, and should be approaching 40mpg cost equivalent on gas. I have a 1 litre Hijet, a 125 motorbike, and a wide selection of bicycles (including one that will carry both kids and a whole week's shopping) for those around town trips; given that the Jag is like parking an oil tanker, there's no temptation to use it for that.

Bottom line, I HAVE to do a lot of miles for my job. I could have bought a little diesel hatchback, I could have bought a diesel luxobarge, and either would have given me better fuel consumption, but I didn't want to, I decided I wanted a car that I'd love getting into. At £1250, it's not going to lose a lot of value; it's waxoyled and dead straight, and the engine has been looked after.

I might decide on something different in 6 months; what I'm not going to do is spend the money on an LPG kit until I'm sure I'm going to keep the Jag. There's part of me that thinks I should have gone with a Daimler (even more toys, walnut picnic tables, and most important, cruise control. Can't believe mine doesn't have cruise!), there are other parts of me that think in a year's time, I might decide to go for a diesel Peugeot 106, and get 60+mpg. For now, I'm doing this, and getting my bike test. Everything else has yet to be decided. I want to be able to 125 it to work before too long, and maybe then I'll save for a BMW K75RT, maybe not. Life is full of happy choices Smile

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:32 - 13 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Efes123 wrote:
Aye, this is my third Jag, although the missus say it has to go now I have three bikes Sad I did have a series 3, and actually drove it to Turkey, and back, that was a holiday and a half Very Happy Got it to 120 on the autobahn, but bottled it after a few minutes, it was 20 years old after all. I think I was getting about 3 mpg at that point, but a great smile factor

I saw 110 on the motorway the other day; I just wanted to see what happened if I nailed the throttle at 70. Took seconds, and was still pulling strong (I rapidly returned to the limit (I need my license)). I'd love to give it the whole hog on the autobahn Smile

I have also driven to Turkey, and on from there through Iran, Pakistan and into India. All of it in a 1971 Bedford bus. Good times Smile

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:36 - 13 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Efes123 wrote:
Aye, this is my third Jag, although the missus say it has to go now I have three bikes Sad

Tell her you agree... but can you keep it until you can afford an XJ12 pillerless coupe....
https://jaguar.fiboy.com/images/Daimler_Sovereign_and_Double_Six.jpg
You can keep your E-types; Play-Boy-Toys, them. XJS? Bit of an old man's toupee, really. But THAT... That... well? Its just shear class, isn't it? Four year model run. One of the rarest models made. Subtle, understated, yet elegant, and unique. Beautiful car. Almost hand built Brown-Hills Hot rod REALLY! Parts bin special of the first order; built on a budget to avoid tooling costs... but we shall call it 'coach built', shall we Smile.. if not on the line, then between union meetings in the re-work bay!
OK, it was probably one of the WORST built Jags EVER. And that's got to be saying something! But Oh! Its gorgeous!
Jag-Fan I once knew, and I have known a couple; living within spitting of the factory; had an XJ-C on ramps, for five years to my knowledge vexing his welding skills! Remember a few headless chicken rants and lobbed welding masks accompanied by wails of "There's nothing to bludy weld to! Its all rust!" or... "Nothing lines up! No two panels match!" Wonderful car!

Or in short - don't get rid of the Jag!

SamWise72 wrote:
Ok, well, in counter to that:

Jup, if you do enough miles, and can bank on being able to do enough of them on gas, LPG can save money, for sure.
Only reason I can afford to run a Rangie... or perhaps more accurately, I cant afford to run a Rangie.... but gas makes it more believable I might!
On a sub £1500 car though? Cost of conversion will be hefty, in relation to the motor. And a big chunk to try clawing back.
I don't know if they have come down any in price lately; but last time I looked, a sequential system, pro-fitted to a four-pot motor, like a Nissan Cabstar, was around two and a half, three grand. They ent cheap. They need a duel control engine management system.
DIY kits, for 'analogue' systems, for four-pots tended to be around a grand.
And big cost is in the tanks. Cheap kits use simple 'internal' or boot-mount tanks... 'torpedo' tanks; basic gas cylinders, and they aren;t very space efficient. I have one in the back of my Rangie; sits across the back seats; means I cant drop the seats for boot-space, and it takes up about 1/3 the boot floor area. (always meant to swap it out TBH)
Other one has underslung external tanks. These are viable on a 4x4 with almost a foot of space under the floor next to the chassis; though not so wonderful if you actually use the thing off-road like wot I do! These are about three times the price of internal tanks, and three times the weight as they have to be made of thicker steel, to resist corrosion and puncture. You can get slim-jim under-slung tanks for lower clerance saloons; but they are even more expensive, per litre of volume; and tend to have to be 'banked' maybe two tanks per side to get a decent tank capacity, and even then you may be looking at as little as just 50l.... twin sill tanks on my Rangie only offer 90l... single boot-mount 110l.
Alternative, is tricoidal space-saver tanks, and the common one is a spare-wheel replacement tank, or Donut. fits in spare wheel well. convenient, but you have no spare, or a loose spare in the boot. And they re small. Rangie has big wheels; 28" rolling diameter, I believe that the tricoidal 'spare-replacement-tank' that fits the Rangies spare slot, is just 45l; the 17" tricoildals used for family saloon cars, are often only 15l or so.
And its a bit of a con; tanks are rated by their 'free-volume', but charged with gas, you can only fill them to about 85%, under pressure. So my 110l boot tank will only take 90l of fuel, the 90l of sill tanks 70l of fuel.
Known a few people DIY convert Land-Rovers to LPG; either the V8 or the old two-and a quarter four-pots. Using Kits or mix and match new parts and second hand; if you have half a clue and some basic mechanical aptitude; it's possible to convert a carbed engine for a few hundred quid; but fuel injected ones can be a bit more problematic.
Some-how you have to fool the injectors into not firing, whilst still getting sparks from the engine; and if you have an electronically integrated auto-box, it can be a bit of a nightmare.
The early Rangie V8 i's are at an advantage here, in that they have a non integrated fuel injection system. You can litterally just switch it off, and still have sparks from the dizzy; and there's no electronic control on the ZF gear-box.
On the Ford V6's and BMW's, though, and I suspect the Jags, you would have to go for a more sophisticated system, using 'injection emulators' that piggy-back into the fuel injector connections, and make believe to the ECU that the injectors are still doing what they are told, even though they aren't squirting juice.
This means more expense and complexity, and can push even DIY kits up into the sort of price you paid for the motor. Pro-fit kits even more.

Most ecconomical way of going gas, is almost certainly to find a car with gas already installed.
More likely to have been fitted early in life; its more likely to be a higher end conversion, warranted when the cars value was still high; and be well fitted and well proven... and to you mate.... only a couple of hundred quid, if that on the haggle value you pay for the thing compared to one without.

If you do go for a retro-fit; then it isn;t a ten minute job; and its not cheap; and you really do have to plan on keeping the car a fair while to justify it.

Your 60miles 3 days a week commute, is a fair bit more than average... 8K miles a year, but at 30mpg, that's roughly what 1200 litres, £1600 a year. Drop 30% off that, you are looking at a potential fuel saving of maybe £500. Even if you do double that as annual mileage, best you may save is £1000 on fuel, but more likely the real world saving is going to be around half, maybe £600-700 if you can bank on running gas for good % of miles.
That wont 'pay' for a half decent gas kit in much of a hurry.

I AM a gas-fan, I have to say, and ought to be more encouraging..... cynically more folk we get using gas, better its availability ought to get! But I'm a realist, and this is the reason why Gas isn't as popular as the enthusiasm it generates in the possible savings.

When I started running the stuff... I could get it for under 30p a litre at some places, when petrol was nudging 70p/l, and we were reckoning on it offering full 50% 'savings'.... which were seldom seen in the real-world..... on a 30% margin, its even harder to make it work for you. Especially if you don't keep cars that long.

I ran my first gassed Rangie for three years; Second I've had for four... and I intend keeping it a while longer yet. If I had splurged up-front for a gas kit on the first, and swapped it to the second.... seven years I''d STILL be waiting for it to pay for itself.

What it does mean, though is that I can fill up the Rangie and do as many miles on that wallet-bashing in it, as I could in my 'ecconomy' Civic. Its not 'saving' me anything, and its certainly not paying for itself.

You don't save money by spending money

Gas just means I get MORE for what money I do spend.
So, instead of being cramped in a little plastic econo-hatch... I have the comfort and space of the luxuary saloon for it..... But I'm still paying 'more' for it... even without a gas conversion.

My Rangie cost me, in effect, £1500. Three, four times the value of the the Civic, I got as a fill in between Rangies and while Rangie was being sorted the way I wanted it. (I chopped the floor and sills and arches out, soon as I got it, and did a load of welding to be sure it would last)

So, Rangie, on gas... its kiddology. Its NOT paying for itself. And its NOT 'cheaper', whichever way you try cut the custard. I'm JUST able to drive a nicer car for a bit less... which is what you want to do... fair play... just dont try kidding yourself that its going to pay for itself or you are seeing REAL savings.

If you wanted them, you'd clip your mileage, and get a cheaper, more ecconomical motor; so you are still spending more money than you NEED to to cover the miles you do.

Efes123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 13 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Drool, slobber... Mmm, now how do I convince her that this would be a good idea...

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 14 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamWise72 wrote:
I'll probably use it all summer, and see how I feel come October; I suspect that on the relatively well lit motorway, with the traffic going the same way as me, I may be just fine. Equally, I may have saved up some pennies and bought a BMW K75RT by then.

I commuted Eastleigh - Amazingstoke on my GS500 for several months, including some Winter.

It was shit.

There is nothing worse, IMO than commuting on a motorway by bike, boring and dangerous (tho I've never seen an accident involving a bike on the M3). Much better by car, and I imagine you leave early enough to miss the worst of the traffic.

Your choices seem illogical. What do you do as a job? Are you a lady?

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:25 - 14 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a trainer and instructional designer. A chunk of my time is spent in the office, designing eLearning, the other chunk on the road running workshops. And no, I am not a lady, I'm a 6'3, 16 stone bloke.

My choices? I guess you could say they're illogical. The 125 was just an attempt to find the cheapest way to get to work. Motorways ARE boring, but an hour each way sitting on the bike, with the iPod in, is fine. I don't think I necessarily want to do it all winter (certainly not when it's icy), but I could do at least 8 months if the year, and mostly enjoy it. I may well replace the 125 with a BMW K75 when I've passed my test; the mileage is almost as good (K75 owners allege 70 mpg; my 125 gets 80), and I'd be more comfortable both on a bigger bike (I'm a big bloke for a 125 cruiser) and sitting behind a barn door of a fairing. It would also be more fun, probably. For now, though, a 125 is just fine. I've got a LOT of experience driving and riding slow vehicles (1971 Bedford Bus to India at 50 mph, quite a lot of UK miles in a big Mercedes minibus at 50mph, right around the country in my HiJet at 55mph, not to mention several months on the 125 earlier in the year). I'm not worried about riding it on the motorway; I have NEVER need speed to get me out of trouble.

As far as the Jag, yes, it's illogical. I had found I could afford to drive the Hijet to work, but it's noisy and I bought it when I was only doing work travel by train. It's my microcamper, and my trailer tent tow vehicle, and my people mover, and my piano deliverer etc etc. It wasn't a good idea to punish the old girl with all those miles.

The logical thing would have been to buy a little diesel hatchback, but I did the maths, and guess what? I can afford to drive the Jag to work, specially if I ride the bike a lot too, and my mileage allowance more than covers me for fuel for longer distances. I've been a car and bike nut all my life, but just about every car choice has been very practical (even the hydraulic Citroens I've owned have been very cheap to buy and run), and I just felt like treating myself to an awesome toy. I'm single, I work hard, and if I choose to spend some of my disposable income running a gentleman's club on wheels, then I will Smile

The truth is I've always been a bit of an extremist. I always want to be doing something that's the most economical, or the coolest, or something that people think I can't do. When I was still married, I gave up my car completely for several years, bought a Brompton, and only travelled by train (and this was when I was doing a job that took me all over the country, 3-4 days a week). Prior to that I'd run a Citroen AX diesel which was really too small for my body, but would get me 70mpg if I drove at 55, which, believe it or not, I did. Before that, it was a Citroen XM diesel, because I like me a luxobarge, and again, that would get me 50mpg. These things feel like adventures to me; I know other people would rather buy a sensible, medium sized diesel hatchback for £3000 and run it for years, but I'd rather buy something tiny and frugal for £500, run it for a year on fumes, then switch to something gigantic and comfortable, etc etc. It's how I've always been, and though it doesn't make my life easy, it's fun, at least for me.

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:29 - 14 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon Mike - your maths is a bit out of whack. My actual fuel bills are more like £3200 for the commuting (or were in the HiJet, will be more in the Jag), and a reasonable LPG system for a 6 is about £1300 now. I'll calculate the payback period carefully, and be sure that I intend to keep the car that long before I take the plunge.

I did consider buying an LPG converted one, but went for this one because of the condition (better than most £3,000 cars). If an LPG converted Daimler comes up for under a grand, I might jump on it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6