Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic : View next topic  

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:48 - 14 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Efes123 wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

Drool, slobber... Mmm, now how do I convince her that this would be a good idea...

Here's how it works. If you buy an XJ-C, it will save you a FORTUNE in fuel over the XJS in the first couple of years. This is because it will be up on axle stands in your garage whilst you replace almost the entire floorpan in a mega weldathon. Wink

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 14 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to chill out more! Laughing Wink

bikeguy22
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:28 - 14 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats awesome! Not many Chinese made of cheese bikes would go for that long, nor the owner keeping it past 1k miles!

In my experience of Chinese bikes, they seem to undress themselves as you ride down the road!

Top result.

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:30 - 14 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I do but chill out, when wafting along in a Jag? Smile I don't really do relaxing all that well. I like to be doing stuff. As well as a full time and then some day job I write for magazines, and do other freelance work, and last year I built a wood fired sauna and hot tub. Promised myself no new projects this summer though, just to finish those that are still underway, which include:

Pass full direct access bike test
Put up sectional garage that's currently just a pile of concrete slabs.
Complete the 3 unfinished pushbike projects that I opted to keep.
Fit an electric heater to hot tub, to supplement the wood stove.
Repair leaking conservatory roof.

There are more, but that's as many as I'd like to admit to myself at the moment!

SamWise72
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:32 - 14 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikeguy22 wrote:
Thats awesome! Not many Chinese made of cheese bikes would go for that long, nor the owner keeping it past 1k miles!

In my experience of Chinese bikes, they seem to undress themselves as you ride down the road!

Top result.

This one really isn't all that bad. I haven't cossetted it much, just serviced it and had it fixed after I binned it. It's lived outside all winter, and it still looks pretty tidy. I'll add some photos soon, so you can see how it's done.

theogster
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 19 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd be interested how you go on with this, i'm looking at the same bike at the mo Smile

cretin box
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 03:38 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Efes123 wrote:
Aye, this is my third Jag, although the missus say it has to go now I have three bikes Sad

Tell her you agree... but can you keep it until you can afford an XJ12 pillerless coupe....
https://jaguar.fiboy.com/images/Daimler_Sovereign_and_Double_Six.jpg
You can keep your E-types; Play-Boy-Toys, them. XJS? Bit of an old man's toupee, really. But THAT... That... well? Its just shear class, isn't it? Four year model run. One of the rarest models made. Subtle, understated, yet elegant, and unique. Beautiful car. Almost hand built Brown-Hills Hot rod REALLY!

tl;dr

My best mate's dad had one of those, paid pennies for it at the bottom of its depreciation curve, enjoyed the hell out of it and sold it on at no loss (apart from the time he spent welding, but he liked doing that himself).

I've done the same thing at a slightly lower level through my car-owning career - I've always bought decent 10-15 year old cars for £500 or so and thoroughly enjoyed them for a few years until they became too unreliable to be worth repairing. I need to find the bike that fills that criterion, 125s are all overvalued imho!

ShepShep
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 07:13 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamWise72 wrote:
I also got myself a Fog City visor insert which was not an unqualified success. It did cut down on fogging, but it made general unfogged visibility worse, and vision in less than half light going against car headlights a LOT worse. Worse still, but the time I got to the office, there was fog on the visor INSIDE the insert, which now had nowhere to go. I think that'll be going in the bin.

Have you concidered getting a fog mask instead? (didnt read full post, some one might of mentioned it)

I have one in my helmet and it works a treat, plus keeps your mouth and nose that extra bit warm.

https://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/121065511828?var=gv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=65&ff19=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 9 years, 208 days between these two posts...

Deffcheetah
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:02 - 12 Jan 2023    Post subject: So 18000 miles in a year on a 125 Chinese bike Reply with quote

So I discovered this thread from 11yrs ago at 1am this morning. Was really hoping to see how it played out and the dude never finished and started driving a car and talking about a bike upgrade which would then be driving a nicer bike which is nothing special. Seems like modern television writing. Oh well, if you are still around Mr. Samwise I would love to know the further adventures of this bike. I’m serious. Did it break down at all what was the total mileage, is it in your garage? Thanks. Please finish this story before I write fan fiction.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 12 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: So 18000 miles in a year on a 125 Chinese bike Reply with quote

Deffcheetah wrote:
if you are still around Mr. Samwise I would love to know the further adventures of this bike. I’m serious.

Mr Samwise hasn't been here in 9 years, so I wouldn't hold your breath...

Deffcheetah
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:55 - 13 Jan 2023    Post subject: Rats..... Reply with quote

Well this always fascinates me. Whenever someone talks of an inexpensive Chinese bike you will always get the proverbial, “Why don’t you get like a 5yr old Honda or Yamaha instead? It will last longer.” And I mean I get it. People especially newer riders are always looking for steals or something they can make their own. They can avoid going to a dealer or Facebook marketplace and avoid in person pressure. Then jump to today and a lot of unboxing videos of Amazon bikes and if you scroll the comments you will normally see they sold it 4 months later for a bigger bike by a recognized brand. This guy was ahead of the curve though. Just fascinating.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 13 Jan 2023    Post subject: Re: Rats..... Reply with quote

Deffcheetah wrote:
Well this always fascinates me. Whenever someone talks of an inexpensive Chinese bike you will always get the proverbial, “Why don’t you get like a 5yr old Honda or Yamaha instead? It will last longer.” And I mean I get it. People especially newer riders are always looking for steals or something they can make their own. They can avoid going to a dealer or Facebook marketplace and avoid in person pressure. Then jump to today and a lot of unboxing videos of Amazon bikes and if you scroll the comments you will normally see they sold it 4 months later for a bigger bike by a recognized brand. This guy was ahead of the curve though. Just fascinating.

I've ridden my Zontes (Chinese and cheap) 125cc through the past three winters as a daily commuter. It's still going strong but then again I've only put a few thousand miles on it as my commute is only 7 miles each way by back road or 16 miles each way by motorway so I am doing nowhere near the miles he was.

I think the quality of my bike is perfectly fine. In fact I would say the slipper clutch is exceptionally forgiving which was a good thing when I was still a complete novice.

I've not went out of my way to keep the bike in pristine condition, it's just adequately made I guess. The one thing that I will note is that fasteners and bolt heads show corrosion signs and this always annoys me on any manufacturer because using stainless steel bolts would have only cost a couple of quid extra per bike.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 13 Jan 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad the last two posts saved me the arseache of reading through another load of meandering bollocks
where the original point is lost.

On the original topic I'd say it wouldn't be impossible to clock up 18 thou in a year on a chinese bike
if it was built and maintained to a reasonable standard but this is always the unknown with them so
I'd go for a simple no frills one to attempt it on.

Also the OP sounded pretty clueless and subject to self inflicted wounds so that doesn't bode well for bike care.

I often do work for a guy who clocks up 40K+ a year on Honda 125 scoots doing Deliveroo stuff
this multiple stop start, short journey riding has to be the worst treatment for any kind of bike
and while they had plenty of road rash, broken brake levers, mirrors panels, theft attempts etc, the engines given lots of oil changes coped admirably.

He started off his Deliveroo gigs on a Lexmoto Urban and the part of the frame supporting the rear shock snapped off in just over a year!
I repaired it but was shocked to see such an event on a virtually new scoot that had never taken a passenger just
a pizza box.
To be fair the engine was running well, but it was written off when he was rear ended and the bracket supporting the rear plastic mudguard was pushed into the wheel.
I was called out to this and could have fixed it easily but the insurance company fuckwits saw the pics
and regarded a bent skinny bracket as 'structural damage not fit to go back on the road'
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 75 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6