Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

disturbing video of drivers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:07 - 30 Sep 2012    Post subject: disturbing video of drivers Reply with quote

I found this on my youtube travels and frankly, it scared me. This is why I won't cycle on the roads if possible.

tbourner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:25 - 30 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is he riding in the middle of the road all the time? What does he expect will happen? The same as if he were in a car doing 15mph people would be beeping and squeezing past.
And don't give me all this 'technically hes allowed to' bollocks, I'll admit some of the cage moves were gash but he's riding like a twat at the end of the day, he's got to take responsibility for his own safety and only ride that defensively when it serves a purpose not just all the time.

And yes I do cycle as well as drive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 30 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to cycle a few years ago but I don't remember randomly falling off while slowly going around a bend. Confused
Maybe change the slicks? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 30 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget whats right - cycle to get to A to B - avoiding cagers as much as possible, and fit a right hand side mirror. Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:08 - 30 Sep 2012    Post subject: Re: disturbing video of drivers Reply with quote

Disturbing indeed. Didn't have sound up, buy any moto(style)vlogging 'much always disturbs me.

Seems rather lacking in cycling skills and rather full of typical 'vlogger' self-important-self-righteousness.

herulach
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 30 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say when I'm on the pushbike I'm a big fan of making yourself big, however a lot of that was fairly typical, I'm going to ride like a twat cos I think it makes you look like more of a twat when I stick it on youtube.

Also, wtf with the random falling off? In 2.5 years doing about 100 miles a week on the roads I came off once when I missed a set of tram tracks after trying a different route home. If he feels strongly enough about it to make a video about it, why not spend £20 on some half decent tyres.

yaigi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 30 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

London Rolling Eyes At least you get some cycle lanes. Come up north in your lycra and try cycling around Liverpool, see how long your riding in the middle of the road lasts for. That said though, there are some utter arsehole drivers in that video. I see the taxi drivers waving the wanker flag as usual Twisted Evil

Bikermice
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:47 - 17 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up commuting to work by bicycle because there are too many impatient, aggressive and downright dangerous drivers on the roads. And no, I did not ride in the middle all the time, but only when I needed to be defensive to prevent cars/vans/buses from overtaking with 1 inch to spare. I have given up now and am doing my CBT on Saturday. Still an element of danger I know, but at least I won't be overtaken all the time (well in a 40 limit anyway).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 17 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

G, he is not a vlogger, action camera doesn't equal vlogger.

The reason they cycle in the middle of the lane is (usually) because there is not enough space for cars to overtake, if they did it would be dangerous, just like on a motorbike you need a dominant road position to stop people trying to kill you. Some times it's also to avoid car doors or other hazards such as drain covers. I don't cycle and even I can figure that out. It's as if you lot are siding with the dangerous driving of the cagers even though you're also a vulnerable road user too.

I should point out the nob in the white van was prosecuted for his driving Thumbs Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dI6-_RgmSI

There's no way I'd commute by bike on public roads. I used to cycle to college and back but that was entirely by cycle path and normal paths, no one really cares if you cycle on the pavement around here.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:47 - 17 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
G, he is not a vlogger, action camera doesn't equal vlogger.

It was the general attitude that made me think 'vlogger'... looks like a vlogger, smells like a vlogger etc Smile.

I don't like it when cars try to stop me overtaking when I'm riding a bike because they think "there isn't room to overtake". So I generally don't try and do the same to other vehicles.
If I'm doing 30mph in a 30 limit on the push bike I may use the middle of the road to avoid the bumpiness of the side however.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 17 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
The reason they cycle in the middle of the lane is (usually) because there is not enough space for cars to overtake, if they did it would be dangerous, just like on a motorbike you need a dominant road position to stop people trying to kill you. Some times it's also to avoid car doors or other hazards such as drain covers. I don't cycle and even I can figure that out. It's as if you lot are siding with the dangerous driving of the cagers even though you're also a vulnerable road user too.

This.

Although some people do seem to attract idiot cagers. I ride a couple of hundred miles a week and could count on one hand the number of really dangerous incidents I've been involved in.

Mind you, I'm not London based!

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 17 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

God cyclists wind me up on my way home so much, but not as much as the cunts that don't dare overtake them, so you end up with a line of like 10 cars because the one at the front wont overtake the cyclist and the cars behind them wont over take a car and a cyclist

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 17 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
God cyclists wind me up on my way home so much, but not as much as the cunts that don't dare overtake them, so you end up with a line of like 10 cars because the one at the front wont overtake the cyclist and the cars behind them wont over take a car and a cyclist

What exactly is it about someone on a bicycle that winds you up so much?

Chill. It's part of lifes rich tapestry.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 17 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember riding one sunny day last year on a NSL single carriageway road with not much room for a verge. A fairly busy, but 'country' road. At every opportunity I pulled as far across to the left as I could, but I could tell there was some muppet behind who was happy to sit there at 22mph, in a van. Most likely with a queue of traffic behind him.

A few moments after I worked this out, I saw a good opportunity to stop, a pub car park on a slight bend in the road. The Bedford camper van pulled in, in front of me, with the passenger (a fat, warty old pig she was) yelling stuff at me, like "move over, you don't own the road" and questioning if I'd paid road tax on my bike.
I cheerfully pointed out I pulled in at every possible opportunity and if they couldn't overtake me it wasn't my fault - and in any case I'd pulled in to the car park to allow them to continue unimpeded yet they thought it necessary to remonstrate this and obviously weren't in that much of a hurry.
This flipped the poor befuddled driver who had somewhat of a meltdown and huffed his way out of his van. The suspension creaked and the van wobbled then like a sweaty, rotund, foul smelling champagne cork he flopped out of the van and promptly fell flat on his face in the gravel. I simply couldn't help myself laugh, and rode on. I kept an eye out for him and his harridan but I reckon he had issues getting back behind the wheel. Happy memories.

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:40 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

it made me laugh listening to him shouting at everyone haha.
i ride (not in london) and use the road. The only time im not near to curb is if im avoiding a pot hole/drain/parked car or turning.and before pulling out i do a life saver. in fact i do a life saver every now and then so i know whats around me.
i fell off the other day in the middle of the road but i knew i was safe becuase i did a life saver and moved to the middle of the road to take a wide left turn.

some people drive like cunts but some people cycle like cunts. personally I dont worry too much about what other idiots are doing as long as it doesnt cause me any agro. sitting there shouting and moaning isnt going to sort anything out especially if its a car thats already driven off although it is funny to hear Laughing

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 21:48 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
Alpha-9 wrote:

What exactly is it about someone on a bicycle that winds you up so much?

Chill. It's part of lifes rich tapestry.

Because he is an utter c*nt who contributes little to BCF.

Motorcycle users and cyclists have exactly the same problems on the roads.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 14:14 - 26 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy in the video needs to learn how to ride in London. Unless its wheel touching bumper it aint close, and he is a mile or so from the kerb unecessarily a lot of the time. Also needs to learn some bike control or to slow down as thats a lot of crashing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1