Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

FFS - Forgetting to cancel my indicators !!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

thepuma
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: FFS - Forgetting to cancel my indicators !! Reply with quote

Yeah, I know its dangerous.. Yeah I know its stupid and Yeah, I know its not difficult.

But since passing my test last week I have forgotten to cancel my indicators 3 bloody times now...and TWICE it resulted in people pulling out on me (not badly, cos I always expect people to pull out anyway so Im always prepared) but this is starting to worry me now. Neutral

I never once forgot to cancel whilst I was learning but now I don't know if I've just relaxed too much because I've passed?

Does anyone else find they forget? Or is it just me?

Is there such thing as self cancelling indicators? Laughing

It's frustrating cos I'm looking at getting a bigger bike but Jesus, if I can't remember to cancel my bloody indicators I'm gonna be a deathtrap on a faster machine.

Easter Bunny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get indicator beepers until you learn the ways young Jedi

yaigi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say to you what my instructor said to me, which stopped me instantly:

"Every time you forget to cancel your indicators - you owe me a fiver. I'm looking for a good night out this weekend"

Wink Wink Wink

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bloke on a Suzuki 125 cruiser sitting next to me at the lights - I could hear his indicator blinking but he followed me straight across!

They don't always work!

I remember seeing a documentary about Japanese train drivers who are made to point at the lights as they pass them, whether thay are green or red. This makes it a concsious action and they are far less likely to miss them.

I tried this on my bike and it helped. I said 'indicator' to myself turning them on - the word (having been said) stays in the memory for a few seconds longer than a mere thought (well mine, anyway). Then said 'off' when turning them off.

Try it. Soon enough it gets hard to say 'indicator' without saying 'off' soon after - this will prompt you and before long it will be an automatic reaction hopefully!

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:59 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press the button constantly to make sure they're off, I do it as a habit and press it after every turn now without thinking.

Autocancelling indicators are your subconscious!

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://hellforleathermagazine.com/images/Triumph_thunderbird_1600.jpg

Buy a Triumph Thunderbird - they have self cancelling indicators. Job done...

shereen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My OH constantly leaves his indicators on and he's been riding for 25 years Shocked Does my head in when im riding with him! Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 10:08 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can remember to post about it on the internet, you can remember to do it.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self cancelling indicators are the devil's spunk! The ones in my car cancel before I get to the roundabout, I spend all my time reactivating them, drives me potty.

When I had them on my FJ1200s (standard Yamaha issue) they worked on a timer/number of flashes system and would cancel halfway round large roundabouts.

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to get a relay that clicks, try crashing, mine clicks now Wink Thumbs Up

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a little button on your handlebar that does nothing if the indicators are not flashing. Just press it now and then for the heck of it. I do. Keeps me semi entertained on a boring road.

I was taught to press it if I change gear upwards. For me to have to change gear would mean I have slowed down or stopped. If I have slowed or stopped then there is a chance I have turned a corner. So I press the little button just in case. Get into the habit and its very hard to get out of.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yaigi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't accidentally beep the horn when you go to press it off like I did, scaring the life out of some woman crossing the car park in front of Spar this morning Embarassed

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Re: FFS - Forgetting to cancel my indicators !! Reply with quote

thepuma wrote:
I never once forgot to cancel whilst I was learning but now I don't know if I've just relaxed too much because I've passed?

Does anyone else find they forget? Or is it just me?

For the first few months, I never forgot anything as it was all new and I was constantly thinking about what I was doing.

Once I had got comfortable with riding, I started to find I was getting too relaxed. Especially on quiet roads and my mind would start wondering. Dangerous thing to do I know but, yeah I too started to do things like forgetting to cancel indicators.

I have since found the happy medium of being relaxed and aware by giving myself a good talking to.

Plus, there's always the embarrasing times when you spot another biker and then realise your indicators still on and you feel like a right stupid prick. Embarassed

Last edited by Dave70 on 11:15 - 02 Oct 2012; edited 1 time in total

Firkit
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaigi wrote:
Just don't accidentally beep the horn when you go to press it off like I did

I find myself doing this, a lot! Two push-button operated controls so close together on a vehicle that requires the wearing of chunky gloves? Every time a turn a corner I seem to be giving myself a self-congratulatory toot.

I've now realised that when people turn to see who's beeping at them if I give them a nod as though I know them then they'll spend the next hour trying to work out who I was - after they've given me a nice wave so as not to appear rude Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:22 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaigi wrote:
Just don't accidentally beep the horn when you go to press it off like I did, scaring the life out of some woman crossing the car park in front of Spar this morning Embarassed

Laughing
done the same thing before, ever honked your horn and scared yourself? Razz
I'm pretty sure I honked at myself by mistake before and thought who the hells honking at me? WHAT WHAT?

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CBT instructor taught me to cancel it when I changed into 2nd gear... I do it every time now...

jimmyd
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:41 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm generally good at remembering to cancel, but all too often push the switch all the way the other way, confusing the hell out of motorists Sad

Lighter touch needed!

thepuma
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaigi wrote:

I did that the other day...went to cancel indicator and hit the horn. It's the first time I've used it...lol......won't use it again unless I really have to cos its the most pathetic 'meeep' sound and rather embarrassing.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
I was taught to press it if I change gear upwards. For me to have to change gear would mean I have slowed down or stopped.

Yup, same as me. It's how I learned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not too bad at remembering to cancel indicators. what annoys me is when i hit the button but they dont cancel, so now i always give the button several taps and i habitually tap the button all the time as a back up habit.

I was thinking it would be good if i could wire a beeper into the indicators but not sure if thats allowed on the test.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:36 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Re: FFS - Forgetting to cancel my indicators !! Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
Plus, there's always the embarrasing times when you spot another biker and then realise your indicators still on and you feel like a right stupid prick. Embarassed

My nearest miss to date was with an ER6 because I trusted its indicators. Even though I knew better. We nearly tangled, both of us doubtless thinking "What's that mong doing."

Cancelling on upshifts makes sense. In my case, I tend to cancel again when I've got up to speed, or whenever I see a junction coming up that I'm not going to indicate for. Cancel for "helm amidships."

Last edited by Rogerborg on 15:33 - 02 Oct 2012; edited 1 time in total

thepuma
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I made it home for lunch and back and didn't forget to cancel once.....maybe I'm learning Idea

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into the habit of double pressing them whenever i get up to speed or leave a junction or round about.

tbourner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an indicator relay that beeped at me, I squirted half a tube of flexible filler in there after my first ride cos it was pissing annoying!

yaigi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 02 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:

Laughing
done the same thing before, ever honked your horn and scared yourself? Razz
I'm pretty sure I honked at myself by mistake before and thought who the hells honking at me? WHAT WHAT?

YES! First time I beeped my horn by mistake I was thinking "What, what!? I'm just a learner, leave me alone!"

I almost died of embarrassment on the way to my Mod 2 when I did it in front of my instructor at the busiest set of lights I've ever been at, everyone looking round to see what they've done wrong, if you listen closely you could probably hear me whistling in my helmet Whistle
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 209 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2