Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Lee quarry (near Bacup) this Saturday anyone?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:09 - 04 Oct 2012    Post subject: Lee quarry (near Bacup) this Saturday anyone? Reply with quote

Seems I'll be heading over to Liverpool in the van on Saturday, so was thinking of stopping in at Lee Quarry - anyone want to come along for a play?

Presuming the weather isn't really nasty, anyway.

Possible lift available if needed and you can cover the extra fuel costs and it's not too silly far away.

Details here.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:18 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Re: Lee quarry (near Bacup) this Saturday anyone? Reply with quote

Headed over there today in the end. Didn't go to Liverpool at the weekend in the end, but did ride the hybrid over to have a look - did have a quick go on the singletrack bit at the bottom and the bike did ok (it was quite smooth, which was lucky as it's basically a road bike with wide bars.)

Back was hurting a bit today so just did an hour. Also, still got pedals meant for clips, but not matching clips on shoes. And final excuse - definitely being a bit of an off-road wimp Sad.

Fun place with loads of stuff to do; definitely recommended.
If anyone else wants to play another time, give me a shout Thumbs Up.

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:20 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Re: Lee quarry (near Bacup) this Saturday anyone? Reply with quote

G wrote:
definitely being a bit of an off-road wimp Sad.

What? You've done loads of enduro stuff right? It's just the same except the bike is a bit lighter with less suspension!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:27 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Re: Lee quarry (near Bacup) this Saturday anyone? Reply with quote

Yea, but haven't ridden enduro for a couple of years either Sad.

I was never amazingly brave, but have done plenty of mountain bike off road too - more xc generally.

Just have hardly done any for a couple of years so being wimpy I think; as need to get back in to it a bit. I even avoided a black route and went for the red Rolling Eyes - normally will at least attempt it slowly Smile. But then at that point I was the only person up there and had left my phone in the van, which was perhaps a bit silly!

I did a mtb xc (26 mile) style event the other week and was still faster than the people around me going down the hills, but that's not really saying much Smile,

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Lee Quarry is a great place to build skills and confidence then (but you already know this as you were there the other day Laughing ).

Have you been to Llandegla? Bit of a trek for you I'd imagine but they have a lot of stuff there to develop your skills which you can then directly apply to the trails straight away if you want to. It's much more sheltered than Lee Quarry and also has the benefit of a cafe and a bike shop. Costs £3 to park but that's it.

No shame in riding a red instead of a black. I'd rather ride a flowy red with confidence than ride a pointlessly technical black. I find trail centre stuff is 99% roll-able, even the black stuff, but some of the black trails at these places are just a red trail with random rock gardens thrown in that don't particularly flow.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:17 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done anything in Wales so far.
Only other place I've done around here is Ilkley Moor, which isn't bad.

There's a few other good places around here, so really should get out more.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 190 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1