Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aprilia RS125 Extrema Problems and chat.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dannylewis27
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:22 - 05 Oct 2012    Post subject: Aprilia RS125 Extrema Problems and chat. Reply with quote

[u]Hi there, i am new to the forum and would like to start up a chat about these bikes and help resolve some problems.

I have a 98 RS125 Extrema which tbh has been a nightmare until tonight when i had a stroke of luck.

I bought this bike about a week ago and it ran for about 5minutes before it broke lol

I got it into second gear and it went clunk clunk clunk quite rapidly so i pulled over and then it wouldnt start and the battery died

I charged up the battery only to find the relay had fused a constant connection because it was insufficient ampage and the battery wasnt earthed so the wiring to the rest of the bike was taking the hole of the current and it melted the wiring.

I swapped the wiring and relay and earthed the battery to the frame but it still wouldnt turn over, it just went start button... clunk, press start...clunk

i wasnt sure if it had seized or what. maybe the engine seized? (because i noticed it had no drain plug)

Yeah this guy was a real wanker....

Anyway i took the spark plug out today and sprayed in some penetrating fluid down the cylinder and on the clutch plates and HOORAY it turned over!
after a week of clunk clunk clunk the fookin thing started!!

buuuut then only to find a HORRIBLE rattling noise, this isnt a light rattle, this is something rattling around in the engine,
now it wont select 1st gear, i can select neutral, and go up to second, but not go into 1st, is it possible that the 1st gear has broke? or the slector fork?

what could this be?

and before anyone asks im not riding it, i havent ridden it since it first stoppeda week ago

Thanks guys

Danny Very Happy
[u]
[/u][/u]

Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 05 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little end sound is a always a rattle and with your model RS its probs due a top end rebuild anyway.

1st gear problems may be due to know gear box oil ?

Matty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dannylewis27
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:59 - 05 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i do realise i need to top up the gearbox oil, but i mean this rattle is REALLY loud

Imagine throwing a pound coin in a washing machine.

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 05 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately running it without gear oil could have screwed the gearbox.
Only way to find out is to get your hands dirty and get it stripped down.
I assume it's the Rotax 122 or 123 engine? There are plenty of guides available online.

//added :
It could also be big end or small end bearing.
If you take the flywheel cover(s) off, make sure the bike's in neutral try to gently turn the flywheel left to right and see if you feel a knocking.

Dannylewis27
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:47 - 05 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's rotax123

Before I got my senda I knew nothing about bikes but I've learn quite a lot in the last 3 months but I've not actually taken one apart, just how everything works

Is there a way to acces the gearbox without removing the cylinder? Or is it inevitable I have to remove the hole engine?

What would turning the flywheel do?

Thanks for all advice

thomp1983
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:28 - 06 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you've ran it low on gearbox oil the chances are you will have at teh very least damaged the balance shaft gears and possibly the balance shaft bearings. you can take the clutch cover off, remove the cluch basket and inspect the balance shaft gears with the engine in the frame, if the balance shafts have been damaged then you'll need to split the engine cases down completely as the bits of them get everywhere.

to check if it's the small or big end bearing will require the removal of the cylinder head, again can be done with the engine in the frame but you'll make your life easier by removing it, it shouldn't take more than an hour to take out.

the bit about your wiring makes no sense, if the battery wasn't earthed the bike wouldn't have run at all

chris

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 06 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dannylewis27 wrote:
Is there a way to access the gearbox without removing the cylinder? Or is it inevitable I have to remove the hole engine?

What would turning the flywheel do?

Thanks for all advice

I know more about the 122 engine but the basics are pretty similar.
To access the gearbox you'll need the cylinder off and the engine out.

While turning the flywheel one or two mm either way if you feel a slight tap or knock then chances are the big or small end bearings have died.
Like thomp1983 said though, the sure way is to take the head & cylinder off.
Not a difficult job really. Took me an hour this morning to do mine after it ate a gudgeon in circlip yesterday! The majority of the time was taken removing the tank, seat, alarm etc...
Even if the gearbox needs looking at, it's not a hugely difficult job. I had mine stripped down completely last year. The first time ever attempting something like that!! There's plenty of help available here and on google Smile
Just don't do what I did and attempt to reuse an old circlip after losing the new one... Neutral

Dannylewis27
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:55 - 06 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been looking online for ages but can't find a hole heep of info the most useful thing I have is a video of how to put the gearbox together
But nothing on removing everything else

I am tempted todo it myself but I can't touch until I get paid on the 25th then I can buy a new gearbox and clutch and any bearings I need
But it's also so tenpted to just send it off to pjme to fix for around £250unless anyone on here wants to do it

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 06 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you have to do just console yourself with the fact your not having to do it on a car. Smile good luck

Dannylewis27
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:10 - 06 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I like bikes
Smaller, cheaper, easier to fix, less to go wrong

Kinda ironic seing as mines fucked.

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 06 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help Smile

Dannylewis27
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:11 - 06 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any you are an absolute ledge!
Thanks for that, do you realise how many places I've looked for something like that? And no videos on YouTube !

Now I can take it apart and tell you guys what's wrong and it post pictures!

This is my bike (I have out mirrors on now :p)

https://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q28/joeymaybe/IMG_0877.jpg

thomp1983
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:16 - 06 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

no point buying anything for it until you've stripped it, it may be something simple like a small end bearing. it'll cost you nothing to strip it down now then you'll know what you need come payday, even if you send it to pjme you'll need to take it out the frame. removing it isn't difficult, 3 or 4 bolts actually hold the engine in the frame, apart from those it'll be remove exhaust, disconnect clutch cable, disconnect throttle cable (remove slide from top of carb and disconnect oil pump.), remove carb, remove front sprocket, remove airbox, disconnect any wiring connectors/wiring connected to engine, disconnect coolant hoses, drain fluids from engine then remove it should just about cover it, probably only need a socket set and some decent allen keys.

id rebuild it yourself personally, it's probably just the bearings and balance shaft gears that are shot, a bearing set can be had on ebay for £40 and it's about £25 for balance shaft gears, and you'll need a flywheel puller about £10 and an oven to heat the casing for removing/fitting the bearings

chris

Dannylewis27
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:35 - 06 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I think that is the best way to go
Now I have that PDF from andy I shall take it out and have a good old look!
Hopefully you nice people will help me diagnose any problems!
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 6 years, 32 days between these two posts...
lars lutzka This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.
lars lutzka This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1