Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Electric Shaver.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

cromwell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:14 - 07 Oct 2012    Post subject: Electric Shaver. Reply with quote

Right so I've just started a new job where it's mandatory to be clean shaven, much to the horror of myself who has always had 'designer stubble' for the past four years. I hate shaving with a blade razor, any suggestions as to the best electric razor from personal experience, preferably sub £50 mark ?

Cheers Karma

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 07 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked as a shop assistant at Aldi, on my first day i was told i have to be clean shaven.
I left after 2 days. Because Aldi is known for its professional appearance Rolling Eyes

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 07 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used this brand:-

Shaver

They last for years, if you clean them regularly, IMO go for a mains powered one, less likely to fook up!

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 07 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck shaving for the sake of a job. I did, and when I finished my job, I decided to never be made to do bullshit like that ever again.

If a job requires me to be clean shaven, I don't require the job.

Bullshit. It's the same as how everyone thinks it necessary to wear a shirt and tie to work.

WHY THE FUCK DOES YOUR APPEARANCE HAVE ANY REFLECTION ON YOUR ABILITY TO PERFORM A TASK.

Rant over. Mr. Green

Yes, I did actually make this facebook page quite a long time ago...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/edit/?id=127806817300125&sk=basic

Laughing Laughing Laughing

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 21:06 - 07 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

With electric shavers I'm of the opinion that you get what you pay for. This in terms of comfort and how good a shave you actually get.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cromwell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:26 - 07 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

Shaver

They last for years, if you clean them regularly, IMO go for a mains powered one, less likely to fook up!

I've been looking at a few from them, they seem to be one of the better ones in terms of rotary, but them I'm stuck with the problem of rotary or foil.

As for giving them the two finger salute next time they mention it it really isn't an option ha, the job is worth the hassle tbh.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 07 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

Shaver

I have this model. Best one I've owned. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

herulach
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 07 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a philips formula 1 special edition one I got on offer in tesco the other year. IIRC it was in a christmas special box - might be worth using a wet razor till then?

To be honest I don't use it unless I'm either running late or up very early and can't be arsed. The shave isn't anything like as good, even after a couple of weeks of solid use - but then I do have a very fast growing beard.

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

sa1988 wrote:
WHY THE FUCK DOES YOUR APPEARANCE HAVE ANY REFLECTION ON YOUR ABILITY TO PERFORM A TASK.

Because if you look like a bag of slack shit tied in the middle with string, it is an indication that you will perform like one.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
sa1988 wrote:

Because if you look like a bag of slack shit tied in the middle with string, it is an indication that you will perform like one.

Bullshit. Being smart, in the way you probably imagine, is a sociocultural paradigm.

I mean come on... How would my looking like a bag of slack shit tied in the middle with string be, in any way, an indication that I will perform in whatever way a bag of slack shit tied in the middle with string might perform?

Enjoy your life of suit-wearing aspirations!

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:01 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever used one before?

I found I hated using the usual Gillette type thing so I asked for an electric shaver for Christmas. Tried it for about 6 months but it just hurt more than anything, got left with a rash and stray hairs here and there.

Another 6 months on and I've got my technique down with a normal razor. No more issues, no more shaving rash, no more stray hairs. WIN.

As it goes I changed from Gillette to King of Shaves on the recommendation of somebody on here. Not noticed a difference other than the price. Double WIN.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

sa1988 wrote:
Fuck shaving for the sake of a job. I did, and when I finished my job, I decided to never be made to do bullshit like that ever again.

Out of interest, what do you do for a living now?

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Ever used one before?

As it goes I changed from Gillette to King of Shaves on the recommendation of somebody on here. Not noticed a difference other than the price. Double WIN.

I was using a king of shaves 'azor' for a couple of years (though I dont think it was me who mentioned it to you) and up to recently it was spot on. Now theyve switched to 5 blades and I cant use the damn thing, it clogs up instantly and Ive had to use 2 blades to finish a shave. Went through a whole pack of seven in a fortnight.

Ive just got a philips wet shave electric raor thing to use in the shower, its on charge right now so I'll have to let you know on how it performs!

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know they'd switched to 5 blades, got my last head on the razor at the moment which has 4 blades (just counted), sucks if the 5 blades are no good.

Anybody used a single blade "safety" razor before?

herulach
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Didn't know they'd switched to 5 blades, got my last head on the razor at the moment which has 4 blades (just counted), sucks if the 5 blades are no good.

They're a bit meh - I have a bit of penchant for 2 blade bics.

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to king of shaves you can still get the four blades but no-one near me sells them. They also told me that there was no physical difference in the gaps between the blades but I cant argue with the results, bloody awful. My first wet electric shave went quite well though!

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

What length do you cut your stubble to?

Cut it to 0,5mm, and tell them you can't clean shave because you get bad shaving rash. I'd prefer look at someone with short stubble than a fuck off rash all over their face!

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 08 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
sa1988 wrote:

Hahaaaa nothing! But not because of being spitefully unshaven, or wearing a sack tied at the waist by a piece of string.

I just arrived back from 6 months working in Australia (didn't need to fully shave once), where I was putting in 50 hours a week and lived like a hermit for the whole time, with the intention of saving all my earnings so I wouldn't need a full time job when I got back to the UK, so I can focus my time and energy on studying, which is a bit of a life choice, as opposed to me being a student bum, since I'm now 24, and only just doing A-levels now.

I haven't been clean shaven in about a year and a half now, and have no intention of doing such a thing when the time comes for me to find my next job!

Anyway I intend to be a Physicist, or somethng closely related, so hopefully I'll be allowed to rock up to work with the stereotypical grubby face and 'exploding in all directions' beard and hairdo. Laughing

Main point is, regardless of my current situation, I hate the fact that people are socially expected to meet certain requirements just because of a few certain opinions set by the boring nonces at the top. At least the days of wearing ties are almost gone in the more modern organisations. Casual is becoming the new smart, thank fuck!

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:51 - 09 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sa1988"]
angryjonny wrote:

A-level Student[quote]

Removed the chaff for you. Thumbs Up

Depends where you work IMO, if you are likely to be dealing with the public, either in a service role like the police or waiter/shop assistant or whatever then I think your employers have the right to decide how you groom and dress, to a certain extent. I know a waiter with a 5o'clock shaddow can serve plates as well as a clean shaven one, but if that is what the employer wants, then that's what the employer wants. No different to making you wear a uniform if they wish.

BTW, when you have your degree in Physics or whatever and you're stacking shelves in Aldi, they're gonna want you clean shaven. Best bookmark this thread for future reference Very Happy

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:23 - 09 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

sa1988 wrote:
Main point is, regardless of my current situation, I hate the fact that people are socially expected to meet certain requirements just because of a few certain opinions set by the boring nonces at the top. At least the days of wearing ties are almost gone in the more modern organisations. Casual is becoming the new smart, thank fuck!

You're socially expected to wear clothes. Once you're doing that it's really just a question of where you draw the line.

I'm lucky in that on a day-to-day basis I get away with stubble, polo-shirt and jeans. This is because my employer is B2B rather thah B2C so I'm not really that customer facing and when I do meet customers they're people I've been working with for months and they know me.

Almost any public-facing job will involve either being suited and booted (because at least some of the public expect that) or wearing some sort of uniform even if it's just a branded-shirt. Frankly, when someone is paying you to do a job, they get to say what you wear as well. And if they want you clean shaven they get you clean shaven. Or you could just leave. Your call, but you don't get to claim benefits because "the man" wanted you to shave and wear a suit and you didn't wanna.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 09 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I just have major sour grapes because my previous job, for 4 years, was public facing to the extreme, surrounded by elite business types and other industry bigwigs, where I was just a lowly customer service person in a top heavy company, so my many, many bosses expected my many, many line managers to keep us inhumanely robotic, to the point where half the team were blatantly depressed, anxious, unsatisfied, etc, because of how much they were being forced into a character type that wasn't natural to them, all because of some idiot upstairs putting forward ideas for things they knew nothing about. I think at least 3 co-workers had extensive time off due to stress, in the time I was there.

Justification rant over! Mr. Green

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 09 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:

They're all I use. Bic ones. Every other razor just clogs with hair for me. With the bic, the hairs just come out of the back of the head. I rarely cut myself, and they're incredibly cheap. Electric razors just rip the hell out of my face.

https://www.bicworld.com/en/products/details/177/bic-1-sensitive-classic-sensitive

Personally, I think its a genuine design classic. And I don't use shaving foam either, just hot water, and usually just shave in the shower. (Just hope this doesn't put me in the club with Colin, the dish bather...)

Zen Dog

cromwell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:28 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used an electric razor before, didn't really get on with it that well, a little better than a wet shave though, I only used it a couple of times though. I bought a cheap one off amazon to see how I got on with it before buying a dearer one, it's good, not really that close of a shave but that is as expected.
Very public facing role, it doesn't really bother me that much about doing it, just want to know the easiest and best way. This is the first job were I've been asked to do it.

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philips AT 890 Thumbs Up

Use it every two days and I haven't charged it in about 3 months... really rate it !

Thumbs Up

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thing the 890 is what Im using now, two days in and it seems to be all good!

On the subject of disposables, I bought some wilkinson sword things for £3.50 for a pack of 10 while I was waiting for my electric one to turn up. I have to say that they gave me the closest smoothest shave Ive had in years - I did manage to cut myself a couple of times but one of them was used to take off about 6 days worth of gowth with no issues. Shows how blunt and useless those mega expensive blades are and how crap my technique has become using them!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2