BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NSR or RS125?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

taffy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:13 - 21 May 2004    Post subject: NSR or RS125? Reply with quote

Evenin All, after gettin mighty fuming about the cost of petrol the other day, i've decided its a good excuse to get a CBT and hop on a mpg friendly 125.
Not knowing a thing about bikes, and loving the looks of the rs, i had my heart set on it. However, after reading a couple of reviews i'm worried about the reliabilty, economy, and the availability of parts (i've had my supra on the ramp for the last month so i don't wanna have the same problem with the bike).
I looked at the NSR and people seemed to say the converse, that it's reliable and has good fuel economy. I'm not doubting the aprilia's superiority when it comes to performance but the whole point for me is that is has to be cheap to run.
Was wondering what you guy's have to say, i've got about 2g's to spend on it, it's gotta be fun, and it can't be in the garage all the time.
Any input appreciated, safe.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:41 - 21 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Both are good bikes. Honda are very good for supplying spare parts, but you do pay for it. Aprilia can be a pain, but that seems more down to the dealers, and you pay even more for the parts!

The RS is faster. Realistically around 5mph on top speed. The NSR is marginally quicker from a standstill as it has lower gearing. The NSR has a more comfortable riding position for round town use, and slightly softer suspension (which will be better on pot holed city streets). The RS has better breakes, and at higher speed better handling.

Fuel economy wise they will both do around 55mpg, so not bad but not that good. On top of that there is the cost of synthetic 2 stroke oil.

Given that you have a Supra I guess that you are in your 20s. As such it might be worth thinking about doing your test and buying a larger bike, but not a race replica. Something like a GPZ500 is easy to ride, good on fuel (60~65mpg), friendly to an inexperienced rider, simple to service with cheap parts and fairly quick without the power, sharp brakes and sharp handling to get you in to trouble.

All the best

Keith

taffy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:50 - 21 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith, cheers for the advice. I wrongly assumed that the smaller the engine the better the economy. How much oil do they actually go through?
It does however make the prospect of doing a direct access look much more inviting, especially as i know carrying a pillion would be pretty useful to me.
One of the main problems with taking that route is the fact i've never ridden a bike before, and i'm pretty sure without spending at least some time on 'L' plates i wouldn't have much chance at passing (I need a helmet, some gloves and a jacket. If i added the £400 direct access course it would really sting!).
How hard is the test to pass? as obviously a larger bike would be my ultimate aim anyway (just got to try to resist temptation to bite off more than i can chew and go for a sport 600!).
Thanks again
Drew Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:04 - 22 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

HiSmaller bikes do tend to be better on fuel, but then some smaller bikes (such as the RS125) are in a very high state of tune. For comparison I get about 55mpg out of the RS125, about 45mpg out of a 1200 Bandit, about 40mpg out of an FZR1000 engined Bimota, 61mpg out of my better halfs GPZ500, 48mpg out of a 600 Diversion and about 50mpg from an FZ750. As you can see they are all over the place!

DAS would probably get you through your test, but doesn't really prepare you for riding on the road. I would be tempted to suggest that you do your CBT (normally on a hire bike) and then buy something like a cheap CG125 for a couple of hundred pounds and ride that for a couple of months, maybe with a few more lessons, then do your DAS. This will make you more confident and hopefully should mean that the DAS lessons are far more useful. There always seems to be a market for a cheap CG125 so you should be able to sell it for around what you paid for it.

Personally I would say don't go for a sports 600 as a first bike as they can turn around an bite you quite hard (for example, would you give someone who has just passed their car test the keys to your Supra to take for a thrash?). Something like a GPZ500 may not be the most exciting bike around, but they are simple, cheap, light, good on fuel, will take a pillion and will still leave most cars long behind from the lights.

All the best

Keith

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 23 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart, you really are the Oracle Thumbs Up Very Happy

If you go for the 125 I'd say the NSR, time on L plates is good for experience, but going from a Supra to a 125? Will feel very slow!
Hope you make right decision.

Good luck Thumbs Up

skyline
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:01 - 23 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe perhaps consider a tzr, not as highly tuned so lower on fuel econimy. still a very nice bike. but they are quite a bit older. or, a brander new cbr125 perhaps, 4 stroke, much more reliable, but slow....very slow
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

taffy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:10 - 24 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Cheers for the replies, much appreciated as their seem to be quite a lot of options!
I'd love to get my full license straight away but i've got a feeling the costs will spiral out of control if i go down that route, so pretty sure i'll go for the 125 option (whether this be a cheapie for the time being as Keith suggested, or something a little bit more permanent).
Can't be going down the CBR125 route, my fiancee's just bought one, and even though it seemed pretty nippy to me (i'd never been on ANY bike before), i was told i looked stupid on it due to the size mismatch!
I can't knock the cbr for her though, a fuel gauge and the reliability-pretty too. I just hate the fact the rear rubber on my push bike is fatter!
thanks for the posts guys
Drew Thumbs Up

Soosta
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:44 - 30 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Mito Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:09 - 30 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

taffy wrote:
I just hate the fact the rear rubber on my push bike is fatter!
thanks for the posts guys
Drew Thumbs Up

You want a big rear rubber? I got one for you
https://www.pichosting.org/acusers/Wanka/RLPics/Motorbike1.jpg
Wink

syris
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:18 - 30 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it true that that yamaha has no steering lock?

I was looking at one before I bought my bike.

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:23 - 30 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is the 03/04 (I'm not sure which think 03, gotta check the paperwork) model and it does have a steering lock, although I think some older ones don't.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 307 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1