Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Painting Bikes (Tamiya, etc)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Fowlersrs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:43 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Painting Bikes (Tamiya, etc) Reply with quote

Now that winter & xmas are fast approaching I'm gonna have a little more evening time to focus on something a little different. Probably a sign of getting older I'd rather spend my money on something like this than tits and ass anymore but hey let's embrace it all the same.

So I'm thinking of starting a collection but have a few qs;

Firstly tamiya stuff, I get the idea, you build em, paint, decals etc but what I'm seriously doubting is whether I can achieve a decent painted finish on these things or not. I'd rather they didn't look like a piece of shit when I'm done and I've seen some lovely examples on here, but just how easy is it to get a decent finish??

Ive been chatting with a kind member on here who has pinpointed me to a few resources to get me started, but can any recommend any further starting points, equipment?

Are bikes relatively straight forward to paint compared to aircraft etc, I am aware there are different techniques, shading, weathered looks, all of which im keen to have a go at once I master the basics.. also please DO share your work here for inspiration for myself!! Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fatpies
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:47 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a good finish you need patience and an airbrush, painting with brushes leaves brush strokes.

You want one that is multiaction, and some extra nozzles. Cans of air end up costing a lot, of course a regulated compressor also costs a fair bit too.
____________________
"It's easy to attack and destroy an act of creation. It's a lot more difficult to perform one"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a good finish with paint and a brush for the detailed parts, and the rattle cans for the panels.

You absolutely do not need an airbrush for your 1st time, just the fine brush for detail, a steady hand and apply multiple coats if the paint is thin - like the white, or the aluminium.

Spray cans are fine, again, multiple coats in a clean environment.

I have a nicely finished Ducati 888 done in this way on my mantlepiece, I am proud of it.

Make sure you mix the paints well before using - stir those mofos up with a cocktail stick, and I used to paint the parts on the 'webbing' initially as they're easier to hold, then snip off and retouch.

I only ever completed the Ducati, but I am proud of it and it does look good (albeit it is dusty now).

Don't shell out on any special equipment until you have done a couple, IMO.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:42 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I've posted these before but a friend of mine did this for me as a wedding present so I could put it on top of the cake.

I have no idea how long it took him but the quality of his work is breathtaking imo.

The only real advice I can give you is find a decent modelling forum!

https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/Yambabe/Facebook/Bits%20%20Bobs/165824_10150870743425940_609228144_n.jpg

https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/Yambabe/Facebook/Bits%20%20Bobs/206198_10150870742940940_2000845340_n.jpg

https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/Yambabe/Facebook/Bits%20%20Bobs/599160_10150870742620940_828298346_n.jpg

https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/Yambabe/Facebook/Bits%20%20Bobs/252330_10150870766330940_482735768_n.jpg

https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/Yambabe/Facebook/Bits%20%20Bobs/552817_10150870742360940_1789713795_n.jpg
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fowlersrs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:19 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks smart that Yambabe, I bet it did take some time to do that.

I'm keen to see anyone's examples of what they've done, is it true that race bikes are harder to do, is this true? Is it just because there's so many decals?!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:37 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of tips, although I was always more into aeromodelling.

You don't need an airbrush for one thing.

Undercoating first is a good idea.

Using a flat black undercoat for metallic parts adds depth to the finish.

Putting decals onto a matt surface doesn't work well. If you need to do this, paint it gloss, apply the dcals then go over it with a matt laquer.

If you want to make a part look "distressed" like the bike on Yams post, you need to make it WAY dirtier than it really is. Exaggerate.

Techniques of dry brushing and ink washes are useful to experiment with.

Give some consideration to how you'll display them. All in a row on a shelf is one way but consider making a small base consisting of a small frame with some fine wet and dry paper in it and some road markings painted on.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.78 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 50.97 Kb