Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


It's all Islander's fault...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

MCW
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:06 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: It's all Islander's fault... Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
We get pods of orcas up here plus pilot whales, bottlenose dolphins and harbour porpoises. A few years ago there was a pod of sperm whales in Scapa Flow, and we had some Risso's dolphins swimming about off of one of the Churchill barriers.We also had a basking shark in the bay outside my house earlier this year. Very Happy

Am working through my bucket-list. Seeing whales is on it, seeing Skara Brae is on it and so is seeing the Northern Lights. Am already working towards my motorbike license which was number 1 on the list.

So how about a trip to Orkney from Dorset, avoiding motorways and taking about a week to get there? It's about 740 miles. Am thinking next May. I've got lots of stopping points on the way. Envisage lots of cups of tea en-route. Smile Do you think this is realistic on a 125? The biggest obstacle that I can think of is that I can't get on and off the bike when it's got a top-box on... Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cornish
Forum Conscience



Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:15 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it!!!

Non-motorway travel is a better way to see things and if you're breaking up the journey by stopping lots don't see it as a long haul on a small bike but lots of little trips every day.

I did loads of miles on my RXS100. As long as the bike doesn't mind just enjoy it as a lovely trip to a fab place in some (hopefully) lovely weather. Bikes are about the journey not the destination and all that Thumbs Up
____________________
smile and be happy. . . .it gets right on everyone's tits!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCW
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:23 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

cornish wrote:
Bikes are about the journey not the destination and all that Thumbs Up

I'm sorry Cornwall isn't en route. Sad It would be lovely to have you on my cup of tea list...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:25 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Mr. Green

Totally doable. I'd recommend coming up the west coast of Scotland. Take a tent if you like camping - there are some cracking sites. Thumbs Up

A couple of caveats for you though. Seeing cetaceans isn't by any means guaranteed and you're unlikely to see the aurora in May. It'll be too light - its only a month from midsummer and the Sun just dips below the horizon for a couple of hours at that time of year.

The archaeology is available all year round of course and you might just strike it lucky with the wildlife. There's a Yahoo! group called Orkbird that keeps track of what's happening wildlife wise if you're interested.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCW
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:28 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
A couple of caveats for you though. Seeing cetaceans isn't by any means guaranteed and you're unlikely to see the aurora in May. It'll be too light - its only a month from midsummer and the Sun just dips below the horizon for a couple of hours at that time of year.

Oh. Thanks for the info. Would I be better off coming up at the beginning of April? I was planning to stay for about a week or so. When I start planning in earnest, can I pick your brains for good B&Bs etc.?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cornish
Forum Conscience



Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:31 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCW wrote:
cornish wrote:
Bikes are about the journey not the destination and all that Thumbs Up

I'm sorry Cornwall isn't en route. Sad It would be lovely to have you on my cup of tea list...



That's the trouble with living here, i'm not on the way to anywhere Laughing But there's an open offer of a cup of tea anytime if you're ever this way Wink
____________________
smile and be happy. . . .it gets right on everyone's tits!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCW wrote:

Oh. Thanks for the info. Would I be better off coming up at the beginning of April? I was planning to stay for about a week or so. When I start planning in earnest, can I pick your brains for good B&Bs etc.?


For the aurora? Again, it's not guaranteed. We had a cracking display the other night, we might not see another one for a month or more. It's totally dependant on solar activity - even heading up to the arctic circle isn't a guarantee of success.

I took these pics from my front lawn earlier this year:

https://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/lone_stranger_album/Night%20sky/aurora17-3-123800px.jpg

https://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/lone_stranger_album/Night%20sky/aurora17-3-122800px.jpg

Middling sort of display - they can be a lot bigger.

Let me know when you're planning things and I'll help out Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCW
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:53 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
For the aurora? Again, it's not guaranteed. We had a cracking display the other night, we might not see another one for a month or more. It's totally dependant on solar activity - even heading up to the arctic circle isn't a guarantee of success.

I took these pics from my front lawn earlier this year:

https://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/lone_stranger_album/Night%20sky/aurora17-3-123800px.jpg

https://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/lone_stranger_album/Night%20sky/aurora17-3-122800px.jpg

Let me know when you're planning things and I'll help out Thumbs Up

Thanks. Very Happy Lovely photos, taking decent photos is also on the bucket list... Whenever I make it, I'll just have to hope I'm lucky. There's still lots to see, even if I'm not...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you certainly won't be bored. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Spudly
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:41 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Re: It's all Islander's fault... Reply with quote

MCW wrote:

Am working through my bucket-list. Seeing whales is on it, seeing Skara Brae is on it and so is seeing the Northern Lights. Am already working towards my motorbike license which was number 1 on the list.

So how about a trip to Orkney from Dorset, avoiding motorways and taking about a week to get there? It's about 740 miles. Am thinking next May. I've got lots of stopping points on the way. Envisage lots of cups of tea en-route. Smile Do you think this is realistic on a 125? The biggest obstacle that I can think of is that I can't get on and off the bike when it's got a top-box on... Confused


I hope you do it MCW, too often people fail to live their kives because they are so focused on being able to afford the time off to do it. What is odder is they don't see the paradox in that.

Islander probably (definitely) see's more and better auroras than I do, but I managed to tick that one off my list early kast year when I took this photo here in Northumberland.

https://inksmithy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Aurora-Corbridge.jpg

Islander is correct that you are unlikely to see aurora in May, but at that time of year and at those latitudes aroound Islander, there is every chance you will see some noctilucent clouds, which are capable of just as stunning and colourful a show as auroras, if not quite so in your face.

Don't think of the top box as an obstacle, think of it as a challenge.
____________________
The Old Apprentice
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ocatoro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:18 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool list Smile
i saw the northern lights up in overkalix in northern sweden. absolutely beautiful. probably would make a good road trip up there too. they get good weather once the snow melts.


question for everyone. with the poles changing.. will the northern lights exist? will the appear at the other end instead? will they exist with southern polarity in the "northern" hemisphere?


*there's already southern polarity appearing in the north... it's definitely happening.
____________________
CBT - 17/09/12 * Theory - 23/10/12 * Mod1 - 05/03/13 * Mod2 - 25/03/13 * BOSH!
Current - None Sad but shed project H100 (first bike Smile )
Past - ER5, '93 ZZR600, '92 CB400 SF, ZZR600 (again), yellow Monster 620, Blackbird - black Monster 620ie - '96 ZZR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Spudly
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:08 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
cool list Smile
i saw the northern lights up in overkalix in northern sweden. absolutely beautiful. probably would make a good road trip up there too. they get good weather once the snow melts.


question for everyone. with the poles changing.. will the northern lights exist? will the appear at the other end instead? will they exist with southern polarity in the "northern" hemisphere?


*there's already southern polarity appearing in the north... it's definitely happening.



Shocked

Poles changing? Is that the event in 2012?

Shocked

I don't have time to go all the way through that and it would be far off topic in this thread, why don't you start another one and I'll join in there.

As for the aurora, because of the way the earths magnetic field works and because of the size of the earth in relation to the scale of the sun and the distance between the sun and the earth (plus many other factors), if Aurora Borealis is visible, Aurora Australis will be visible at precisely the same time.

The physics of it are fantastic enough when considered against the earth - they become truly mindboggling when considered in relation to a planet the size of Jupiter or Saturn.

Interestingly, but perhaps obviously, Venus and Mars don't experience auroral displays at all, because they both lack a significant magnetic field.

The science of auroras is fascinating, it's well worth doing a bit of reading to find out more.
____________________
The Old Apprentice
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:27 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
cool list Smile
i saw the northern lights up in overkalix in northern sweden. absolutely beautiful. probably would make a good road trip up there too. they get good weather once the snow melts.


question for everyone. with the poles changing.. will the northern lights exist? will the appear at the other end instead? will they exist with southern polarity in the "northern" hemisphere?


*there's already southern polarity appearing in the north... it's definitely happening.


As Inksmithy said, the southern hemisphere has the aurora australis, we have the aurora borealis so yes, once the field reversal happens and it stabilises, there will still be aurorae in both hemispheres.

As far as pole reversal goes, it's slightly overdue based on an average of the intervals found in the geological record around the mid Atlantic ridge. However, it's by no means certain when it will happen although there have been some fluctuations recorded - but we have no long historic record to say whether these are normal or not. The magnetic poles drift slowly with respect to the Earth's axial or rotational poles - hence the magnetic variation compensation figures given on OS and other decent maps.

Southern polarity appearing in the north? No, sorry. That's not happened nor is it really possible - the magnetic effects are caused by the Earth's iron core which is thought to rotate differentially with respect to the mantle and crust. It's a giant bar magnet in effect and has the same properties. You can't suddenly get portions of south pole appearing mixed in with north pole - you may see localised field strength variations but that's about it.

When it does happen, there are likely to be some odd effects, principally the temporary loss of stability in the field (it may oscillate between the two poles) and possibly even partial collapse. Let's just hope that the Sun isn't being too active at the time as we could be relatively unprotected for a decade or two.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCW
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:51 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I claim my thread back! Laughing Whatever happens to polarity, am not taking my baby Varadero to the south pole! Am interested in the science bit. Am more interested in who wants a cuppa en route...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Spudly
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:59 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

inksmithy wrote:


I don't have time to go all the way through that and it would be far off topic in this thread, why don't you start another one and I'll join in there.



You can't say I didn't try MCW! I'm a reformed character, I'm being good, honest!
____________________
The Old Apprentice
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:10 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucket lists are so cliché
Personally there's nothing interesting about seeing the northern lights to me, i'd get bored after 2 minutes

Seeing whales would be interesting although they're pretty horrifying to me, their giant freaky mass

I feel a raging thread coming on
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:15 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCW wrote:
I claim my thread back! Laughing Whatever happens to polarity, am not taking my baby Varadero to the south pole! Am interested in the science bit. Am more interested in who wants a cuppa en route...


It was only a minor deviation...


...as the bishop said to the actress. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCW
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:43 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Bucket lists are so cliché

As with everything in life, I don't do stuff because it's 'cool' or because of what other people might think. I do stuff because I want to, because I have a limited time on this planet and there is so much to see, do, feel, experience etc. My only regret is that I woke up to this so late in life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCW
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:47 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
It was only a minor deviation...

It's the deviant minors that cause most of the problem.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:50 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCW wrote:
Alpha-9 wrote:
Bucket lists are so cliché

As with everything in life, I don't do stuff because it's 'cool' or because of what other people might think. I do stuff because I want to, because I have a limited time on this planet and there is so much to see, do, feel, experience etc. My only regret is that I woke up to this so late in life.


Indeed, but swimming with dolphins and looking at the sky really isn't that interesting to me and is a cliché

But indeed, if you're interested then go for it, you're not the first person to tell me I intentionally don't like certain things because everyone does, can't help myself, it's not that I don't like things because they're popular, I don't like things because they're popular and shit
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCW
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:52 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
you're not the first person to tell me I intentionally don't like certain things because everyone does

I didn't say that. It would be sad if we all had the same tastes and aspirations. Just make sure that you do go after whatever floats your boat. Sooner rather than later. x
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Spudly
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:02 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCW wrote:
I claim my thread back! Laughing Whatever happens to polarity, am not taking my baby Varadero to the south pole! Am interested in the science bit. Am more interested in who wants a cuppa en route...


In an effort to steer at least a small part of the good ship BCF back on course, have a read up on Noctilucent Clouds as well as the auroras.

For added nerd points, join the Cloud Appreciation Society, which is something I've been meaning to do for years, but never got around to for some reason. This payday, thats it.

Personally, I'm a bit of a space nerd - I just sold a ten inch Dobsonian telescope with the intention of getting a smaller and more portable scope so I can continue with my interests in astrophotography. (if you visit that link, click on the images, particularly the second one - quite proud of the fact I managed to get two of the Newtonian moons in the shot.)

I don't kid myself that I'm doing any science - I do it for the sense of perspective and the outright wonder.
____________________
The Old Apprentice
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:03 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a trip like that on a 125 would be cool, certainly intrepid.

Having to go on A roads ain't so bad, I prefer them to motorways on a little bike. Nowt wrong with pootling.

I've not yet devised a bucket list, there's loads I've not done, and many mates have gone further on bikes than I would ever have bothered to do. But I see life as an adventure, of which I've had a few, I suppose - so I am content with what I have done, anything extra at this point in my life would be a bonus. If I were to seriously consider bucket lists, then yeah, the auroras, maybe, and possibly some iceberg tourism. Thinking not given it much thought, I don't set out to do specific trips, although I admire people who do (Tatters and Joe - and Annabella (!!) spring immediately to mind) Cool Thumbs Up

I have to say, I never let a top box get in the way of getting off the bike. Getting on and off difficult size-and-shape bikes has done wonders for my gluteals. I have an inexplicable passion for tall bikes (mostly trailies, although my current bike is just a tall bike) ... so you'll never meet a fat old bird with as pert gluteals as mine *waggles eyebrows*

I used to use a sort of hopping motion whilst backing off the seat, LOL (come to think of it, still do) cos my ankles can't cope with long journeys any more, so by the time I get off, I end up looking like some crippled old pensioner hobbling about, kinda spoils the "urban warrior princess" look somewhat Rolling Eyes
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:09 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="inksmithy]
- I do it for the sense of perspective and the outright wonder.[/quote]
That's about the best reason to do stuff I can think of Cool Thumbs Up
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:00 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

inksmithy wrote:
I do it for the sense of perspective and the outright wonder.

Soylent Green is people and people are made of stars!

125 touring is ace, just set yourself realistic travel targets.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.8 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 139.09 Kb