Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Lance Armstrong

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Knot600RR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:08 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Lance Armstrong Reply with quote

USADA report cites most of the rumours I've ever read. Damn shame, he was quite an inspirational character at the time. Seems a shame to single him out, as many of the riders were at it, but cheating is cheating.

Thoughts?

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what I don't get is why this is a surprise? Lance knew this was going to happen when he withdrew his arguments against the USADA recently, and went on to say things like "The USADA have no jurisdiction here unless you give them the credit they want" or something similar.

Basically, the way I saw it was the yanks don't control cycling, the French do, and they've set up this Texas-courtroom style nonsense to try and 'own' some of the sport.

IIRC Lance's team-'mates' were on the stuff and coughed and spluttered their apologies saying 'yeah but the bigger boys did it too, so it's ok'. Lance is the biggest boy there is. I don't trust what the USADA say, Tygart has a personal vendetta against Lance.
If he was on the stuff, he joins everyone else at the time. And he beat them, be it on whatever terms, he still won the TDF. 7 times. Thumbs Up

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:10 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

^+1.

They have no jurisdiction, and are shit stirring. As soon as any real proof is delivered, maybe then I will listen.

Personally I think they should be allowed to do as many performance enhancing drugs as possible.

"Lance Armstrong completes the 200km race in 14 minutes 33 seconds!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Knot600RR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:34 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the point isn't really - he won TDF in an era when everyone at the top was using performance enhancing drugs, so you could argue that he still won it on a level playing field.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another thing I have a problem with here. The basis of the USADA's findings are that Lance used drugs which were not banned substances at the time he was using them. They were classified and then banned for use after the event. Like, five years after the event.
I seem to remember Lance saying that it wasn't that he didn't want to comply with the testing, but the USADA demanded samples from him, five years after he won a race. And, when they got the samples from him for the more recent years, they weren't kept in a protected environment, the facility was pretty much open to the public! So being frank, anyone could have got in there and buggered with the samples.
I still do not believe we're getting a full and open account of what's happened here.
I also think that the cycling community needs to take it's plummy toffee out of it's mouth and stop looking down it's nose at the rest of the world. It's far too eliteist and 'holier than thou', maybe this will do something to redress the balance of parity.

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hes a cunt, glad i was not watching the tour back then.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knot600RR wrote:
That's the point isn't really - he won TDF in an era when everyone at the top was using performance enhancing drugs, so you could argue that he still won it on a level playing field.

You could argue that, in fact it would be interesting to see if they strip him of his wins who they'd find that was definitely clean at the time to give the victories to Laughing

For me, though, he should have just coughed and spluttered his apologies too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afaik hes already been striped of them.

Joenitro
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:54 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really dirty sport anyway so no great shock. Armstrong was a shit cyclist that got cancer then suddenly became a world beater. As a steroid user myself I always thought he was on the juice.
Drew This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afaik ,, yhey striped him, but no further awarding moving peeps up the ladder.

Id be shocked if team sky were dirty, and some others nowadays.

Vinakorof winning olympic gold was terrible.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a cock, so I'm not suprised. The fact that he was beating the shit out of everyone who were taking drugs has to tell you that he was not only the best cyclist, but also the best drug taker.

The difference between the Armstrong era tours and today's tours is marked. I remember relentless attacking in the mountains, repeated punishment, crazy surges in acceleration again and again. They just don't do that anymore, they simply do not have the strength and capacity to do it.

Nibali publishes his power outputs for almost every stage he does, and even as a top climber he is around 10% down on the Armstrong era.

They were all using, which is sad really, as they are tainted, but happily the guy who was at the top (and also the biggest cockbag) has now been exposed.

Substance abuse and cycling go hand in hand. The very first tours were competed by riders who literally got pissed to the eyeballs to make it through the 14 hour stages, then it progressed through amphetamines in the 50's - 70's (Tom Simpson speeding so hard he rode himself to death), then into the steroid abuse, blood doping, EPO fuelled era that has apparently ended.

This won't be the end of it, it is institutionalised.
D O G This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

And tour capable winning riders, who were clean, took demosteek roles to earn their coin. Knowing they were up against such drug abuse.

Everyone who bought his books should sue him !,,

He should lose everything.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 12 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

covdude wrote:
He should lose everything.

He already lost his nutsack, is that not enough for you?
Drew This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:29 - 12 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't really been following it, but the impression I get from skimming is that he was some sort of pimp daddy drug vampire. The drained corpses of virgins scattered along the Tour de Frog were probably the first clue.

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 12 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair he did do Sheryl Crow. I say hats off Armstrong.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:46 - 12 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

flat spot wrote:
To be fair he did do Sheryl Crow.

How long is that detectable in your system?

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 13 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/4586915/Lance-Armstrong-doping-Cyclist-could-face-five-years-in-jail-for-perjury.html

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 13 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they strip him of all the wins who do they give them to? All the top riders were seemingly doping, what a sorry mess.

OGR

Knot600RR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:50 - 13 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance Armstrong also made donations to the UCI totalling $125,000 during his career. Hush money anyone?

Knot600RR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:52 - 22 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the UCI have stripped him of his titles as expected and also banned him for life........

https://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/oct/22/lance-armstrong-tour-de-france-uci

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 23 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDF organisers want their $3,000,000 dollars prize money they paid to him back for his seven wins. Think he'll write them a cheque?

OGR

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:32 - 24 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

flat spot wrote:
To be fair he did do Sheryl Crow. I say hats off Armstrong.

Yeah, the man's got balls
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 159 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2