Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

help needed....complete newbie

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

jonesie-rs125
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:01 - 22 May 2004    Post subject: help needed....complete newbie Reply with quote

hey people, i am doing a lot of research before i decided to buy a bike or start taking driving lessons.
it would really help if someone could write up a complete guide to changing gears, revs, and where they are on a bike, i know it probally sounds stupid but i have no idea, cheers.

jonesie

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 16:02 - 22 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

They teach you all of that on the CBT

jonesie-rs125
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:04 - 22 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have sat my CBT but as im 16 i sat it on a scooter

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 16:34 - 22 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing to do would be to get intouch with a bike school, explain the situation to them and tell them you'd like to take a few lessons to get used to riding a geared bike! Thumbs Up

jonesie-rs125
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:41 - 22 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers mate, will do

30sumthin gal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:09 - 22 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a newbie to bikes too, I was just like you, no idea of how to ride, and no idea to the gears etc. I have been driving cars for 20 years, and I would recommend you do the CBT BEFORE you attempt a car.

I have since become a more considerate car driver, and realise just how important it is to treat bikes with much more respect, no-matter how small / large the engine, or whether it has an engine at all! (pedal cycle!)

I would recommend going to a GOOD driving school, ask around, best schools are ones that YOU are comfortable with. Most are willing to do free assessments, and will then give you a better idea of costs etc.

Most of all, think carefully about what YOU feel comfortable with. Bike versus car is not the question, what do you want to be able to drive first is the question. You can (and I am proof of that) that it is NEVER too late to learn new skills, and the one will help the other.

Good luck with your decisions, and let us know how you get on. Thumbs Up

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 20:42 - 22 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very quick guide on how to move off:

Start engine when it is in neutral (neutral light on).

Pull in clutch (left hand lever).

Whilst holding in clutch press the gear lever down (left foot pedal).

Bring the revs up to around 2k - 3k.

SLOWLY let the clutch out bit by bit, you'll hear the engine note change and if you keep letting it out the engine will stall.

When you hear the engine note change, keep letting the clutch out as slow as you were before, only bring the revs up a tiny bit more, you should begin to roll off slowly.

Let the clutch out more, and you'll go faster, apply more revs and you'll go faster still.

You need to take some lessons really before going out on the road, or spend some time in a car park messing about with the bike.

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:55 - 22 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my CBT on a ped, got my geared bike and rang up the place I got my CBT with, asked if I could tag along for the morning part of a CBT so I could learn the gears, and it cost like £15 I think, but it was well worth it, and I have no rev counter, so it was difficult, but fun, and the instructors were great, it wasn't just "Change gears like this, now practice and sod off" they were great and helpful, and it only took a couple of hours to get it learned, and yeah, it was great. :>
Jammy-G This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 01:55 - 23 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually did my CBT on an automatic
so when i bought my RS i took it to a quiet road and practised stalled it 100000000 times but by the end of the day i was whizzing up and down
Nothing to gears although at first it seems like u will never get used it it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
SDR This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lee_367
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:46 - 23 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i learned to ride a geared bike before i rode an automatic

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 24 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best way to learn is on a motocross bike. I learnt the basics on an old KX80 in a field. It is a lot easier when you arn't on the road and don't need to worry about artics!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 344 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1