BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Newbie advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

MrBurns
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:44 - 25 May 2004    Post subject: Newbie advice Reply with quote

I am seriously thinking of getting a bike at the end of this year and would appreciate some advice. Have liked the idea of getting a bike for a while but always dismissed the idea. But now that I am in London and it is looking increasingly likely that my car just won't be practical when I move next year I am considering it all again.

First off I am 22 soon to be 23 and would like to take the direct access test, I have no experience of motorbikes. I notice that a lot of driving schools do intensive courses for this. My first question is do I have to do the CBT and theory seperately prior to this or is it part of the course?

Are there any particularly good schools in London (preferably West) and do they charge more than elsewhere in the country? I could probably take the test in Hull while I am at my parents' house if it was to work out a bit cheaper.

Finally what would people suggest as a first bike? I want something that looks quite good (doesnt have to be a superbike or anything I think the GPZ500s look good) and will handle occasional motorway driving. I want something that is pretty reliable and that can be picked up reasonably cheaply second hand (I wouldn't want to speand more than £2k) and also something that will be cheap (yeah right Rolling Eyes ) to insure.

One other thing is it feasable to ride a bike with a large rucksack (70l or so) on your back? I would want to use the bike to go walking and even if I had boxes on the bike I don't think I would have enough space to carry all I needed.

Any advise would be welcome, I am just researching my options at the moment and trying to cost it all up before I make a decision.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 15:52 - 25 May 2004    Post subject: Re: Newbie advice Reply with quote

MrBurns wrote:
I notice that a lot of driving schools do intensive courses for this. My first question is do I have to do the CBT and theory seperately prior to this or is it part of the course?

Usually part of the DAS course, but check.
Quote:
Finally what would people suggest as a first bike? I want something that looks quite good (doesnt have to be a superbike or anything I think the GPZ500s look good) and will handle occasional motorway driving.

GPZ500 is good for this as far as I know, yes.
Quote:
One other thing is it feasable to ride a bike with a large rucksack (70l or so) on your back? I would want to use the bike to go walking and even if I had boxes on the bike I don't think I would have enough space to carry all I needed.

I have carried massive rucksacks like that, you probably shouldn't for long journeys as it'll do your back in - I managed for about 20miles with an enourmous 80 litre rucksack on my back.

jimbo
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:11 - 25 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One other thing is it feasable to ride a bike with a large rucksack (70l or so) on your back?

I find it better to strap it to the pillion seat if it's that big. My 100l rucksack straps are perfect for hooking around the bike. An extra bungee or two and it won't budge. The back frame keeps it all in shape.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 18:44 - 25 May 2004    Post subject: Re: Newbie advice Reply with quote

MrBurns wrote:

Are there any particularly good schools in London (preferably West) and do they charge more than elsewhere in the country?

They do seem to be a bit more expensive.
The only thing to consider is that if you go away from home to do your DAS, it's a bummer if you fail and you have to make the trip again to sit your test again. Could counteract the saving you made by doing it out of London.

Elite Motorcycle Training (Wembley and Wimbledon) are good - I did my CBT there. Have a look for them on the web. Usually a DAS course has the CBT included, they might want you to sort out your theory/hazard perception yourself beforehand though.

Be worth looking at any of the 'commuter' 500s - the CB500, ER5 and also maybe the Hornet and Bandit 600 though they may be a bit more to insure.

No physical reason why you can't carry a big rucksack, but you should always consider what would happen were you to come off and land on it. You can get a remarkable amount of stuff in panniers.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1