Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Little legs - CBT probs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tat2blue
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:19 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Little legs - CBT probs Reply with quote

I went along for my CBT last week - didnt go well....didn't even get out on the road. Desperately don't want to give up...hope to eventually get a decent sized bike and get rid of the car, but my CBT experience has really knocked my confidence.

Weather was a bitch - hard rain all day and bloody cold, but I think the main problem was that I'm really short and could only touch the floor on tip-toe. Think that really played on my mind, I really didnt feel confident and fell off doing figures of 8.

I'd called the trainer beforehand and said I was short arse, would they have a bike suitable for me to learn on - gave him my inside leg (27" - no laughing!) and was told yes, its wouldnt be a problem. When I told the instructor that I didnt feel safe or confident because I couldnt touch the floor properly, he said it shouldn't matter - basically dont be stupid and get on with it....

Tell me the truth - am I being a prat? He made me feel a prize donkey and I really think that didnt help my confidence. Do you think it matters for your first time riding a bike, that you can touch the floor properly - whilst learning slow riding and manouveres?
I desperately want to go back and get through my CBT, Im so passionate about bikes, really want to ride and go touring, but the instructor has made me feel really stupid, not sure he likes the idea of women riders...... infact his comments on every passing woman's chest and butt didnt really add to my confidence that day. I'm no prude and have a laugh with the best of them, didnt know what to say to him - was there to learn how to ride, not decide who'd be the best of 2 passing women in bed....

I imagine once you've mastered the basics and feel confident, that touching the ground on tip-toe isn't an issue. Am I being a total plum worrying about it whilst I'm learning?

yaigi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Re: Little legs - CBT probs Reply with quote

Tat2blue wrote:
I went along for my CBT last week - didnt go well....didn't even get out on the road. Desperately don't want to give up...hope to eventually get a decent sized bike and get rid of the car, but my CBT experience has really knocked my confidence.

Weather was a bitch - hard rain all day and bloody cold, but I think the main problem was that I'm really short and could only touch the floor on tip-toe. Think that really played on my mind, I really didnt feel confident and fell off doing figures of 8.

I'd called the trainer beforehand and said I was short arse, would they have a bike suitable for me to learn on - gave him my inside leg (27" - no laughing!) and was told yes, its wouldnt be a problem. When I told the instructor that I didnt feel safe or confident because I couldnt touch the floor properly, he said it shouldn't matter - basically dont be stupid and get on with it....

Tell me the truth - am I being a prat? He made me feel a prize donkey and I really think that didnt help my confidence. Do you think it matters for your first time riding a bike, that you can touch the floor properly - whilst learning slow riding and manouveres?
I desperately want to go back and get through my CBT, Im so passionate about bikes, really want to ride and go touring, but the instructor has made me feel really stupid, not sure he likes the idea of women riders...... infact his comments on every passing woman's chest and butt didnt really add to my confidence that day. I'm no prude and have a laugh with the best of them, didnt know what to say to him - was there to learn how to ride, not decide who'd be the best of 2 passing women in bed....

I imagine once you've mastered the basics and feel confident, that touching the ground on tip-toe isn't an issue. Am I being a total plum worrying about it whilst I'm learning?

Whilst learning it's going to be important to feel as comfortable (as possible!) on the bike, but that said, there is some truth in him saying you should be able to ride it anyway. That said, he sounds like a tit - try another school, explain the situation to them, see what they say. Where are you based? Perhaps we can give you some recommendations Thumbs Up

cimbian
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, Don't give-up.

As your confidence grows this becomes less of a problem but you may have to get used to sliding your bum to one side to stop. Once you get your own bike you can makes sure it fits and there are a number of ways to do this. Why don't you try popping-in to the school prior to the CBT and just discuss it with them without the pressure of getting on the bike there and then?

27" isn't that bad but maybe they have something with a narrower seat you could use? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 17:55 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

He sounds like a bit of an arse, that kind of joking isn't really 'on' until he actually knows you a bit better. I'd be tempted to go elsewhere.

Have you read my stickly post at the top of the section? My musings on short riders and what you can do to help yourself. It is tricky at first cos what you need is practice and you don't really get any until you've passed your CBT, but there might be a couple of things that help.

Also, consider your footwear.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Re: Little legs - CBT probs Reply with quote

yaigi wrote:
he sounds like a tit - try another school

Thumbs Up +1 This.

Not the first time we've heard of CBT trainers being complete cocks, unfortunately.

Try not to let it put you off. There are some good trainers out there, honest.

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Re: Little legs - CBT probs Reply with quote

Tat2blue wrote:
When I told the instructor that I didn't feel safe or confident because I couldn't touch the floor properly, he said it shouldn't matter - basically don't be stupid and get on with it....

That would maybe be fine for an experienced rider, but for someone learning - it's completely the wrong attitude for him to have.

Definitely a +1 to the idea of using a different training school. There are decent ones out there Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:35 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you wrecked their bike dropping it. The DSA would like to hear about that sexist mong at cbt@dsa.gsi.gov.uk

Personally, I can't be doing with bikes where I have to tippy-toe - it takes the pleasure out of it. I've got short shrift for anyone who belittles the issue or talks down about it, puns all fully intended.

27" is pretty short, and anyone with a longer leg who tells you otherwise is cordially invited to put their bike up on appropriately sized blocks to make up the difference, and then see how they get on.

OK, big boots (fnar), but you may want to think about cruisers until you're confident on anything bigger. You'll want to see if you can find a training school with some properly low bikes (but no low brows), or consider getting yourself a low 125 and a way of getting it to the test centre. Got anyone who can ride it there for you?

If you're 21+ (or from next year, 19+) then the other option is - perversely - to think about "bigger" bikes. Don't make any assumptions, the 500 twins have a surprisingly low stretch to the ground. There's no reason that I'm aware of that that you can't do a CBT on a larger (capacity) bike.

Hang in there, biking is absolutely ace - you just have to get past all the instruction and examinations and then find the right bike for you.

Fem1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:02 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just changed my training instructor i suggest that you go to another training school.

He should be reported it sounded like he was a sexist pig.

Good luck Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Re: Little legs - CBT probs Reply with quote

Double post.

(no idea how it posted twice & minutes apart)

Last edited by Dave70 on 21:14 - 02 Nov 2012; edited 1 time in total

Harvey Mushman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:03 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding your leg length, would a Suzuki Van Van suit your needs? I did my CBT resit yesterday with a guy who brought his own and it looked a fair bit smaller than our Honda CG's, albeit a fair bit chunkier width wise. Apparently Van Van's are good to balance, being so low and wide, so you may find figure of 8's etc easier on one.

Don't fret about having to go back again. I returned yesterday to redo mine. I had only to resit element E but considering I had to wait 2 weeks and have no bike to practice on, I restarted the day at element C. Got through fine this time!

The school I went to has two female instructors. I've had both and the woman who took me on the road run yesterday was superb. So understanding and great at relaxing you. She was chatting away all the time to me. I honestly think you would benefit from being taught by someone else that was more understanding. Not necessarily female, but someone with more patience and time for absolute beginners like I was.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey Mushman wrote:

The school I went to has two female instructors. I've had both and the woman who took me on the road.

Thumbs Up Karma

Harvey Mushman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:33 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
Harvey Mushman wrote:

The school I went to has two female instructors. I've had both and the woman who took me on the road.

Thumbs Up Karma

Aw, c'mon Laughing That was perfectly innocent Wink

Flamzypants
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely try another school and report that guy. I had a terrible cbt experience and couldn't slag off my local school enough to anyone that asked.

vangelis
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:41 - 03 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh I sympathise, I really do! I just had a similar problem with a Honda for my DAS. Most of the 125s are quite light, so once you feel more comfortable you sould be able to balance it happily when stopped by letting it lean a little, then just straighten it up when you want to crack on. Find an instructor you trust and you might worry less and find it's not such a problem. Everything feels hard when you're all nervous.
On the plus side if you're small you're probably light, so you can blat about happily on a 125 while the bigger guys try to make them wheeze up hills. Lots of fun.
I kept it up after a 'big-horrid-bastard-bike wibble' and am sorted now, practicing for my Mod 1. Had a little lesson on target fixation today: If you must go back to that schoo,l next time he starts yapping on about tits stare at him fixedly while riding about... Go on... See what happens.

Nervous_Jase
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:49 - 03 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth, I too have a pair of short legs (27in) and did my CBT on a Suzuki GN125 and found that I could touch the ground with both feet with no problems.
Since moving on to using a 500 for my DAS, Kawasaki ER5-N is the bike in use, with a shaven seat, and again, I can touch the floor.
There are bikes out there which will fit your physical build, and by not struggling, will make the riding a lot easier.

MCW
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:55 - 03 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone else said. Change schools, report the git. Was he a one man band? If not, complain to the school too.

Most importantly, don't give up. I really struggled to begin with but persevered. Still have my moments but am loving it. Almost more than I should...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:33 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCW wrote:
Still have my moments but am loving it. Almost more than I should...

Well, V-twins are quite vibey. Whistle

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 27 inside leg

i ride a vaspa and have to tiptoe

you get used to it Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Re: Little legs - CBT probs Reply with quote

Tat2blue wrote:

hmmmm you are not the first brit newb being put on a bike where you cant touch. It seems the Rupert mentality is prevalent in brit bike schools?

A prat to me would complain about rain. Not touching the ground is legit. Touching the ground is important for a newb both for confidence and safety. Rather focus on operating the bike rather than fear of height.

Ok I read down and see you are a lady. Now why is it instructors in the UK put ladies on bikes too big for them?

Seems to me inspiring newbs to feel they can never master riding is self destructive. Find an instructor who motivates you, not deflates you.

My ex GF wanted to learn to ride. She wanted to learn on my bikes. I said NO way. she cant even tip toe. she was 50 kg. i paid for her to go to a proper riding school. In a month she was riding a 650. with lowered seat and suspension.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short ('scuse the pun Smile). Ditch that instructor/school and phone around some other ones. Explain your experience and ask for a female trainer.

There are too many of these incidences of insensitive instructors. I think the problem is a lot of instructors get into the business because they're interested in bikes rather than educating new bikers. My CBT experience was a bit grim to say the least and put me completely off going for formal instruction.

When I was doing my CBT there was a woman doing it who was quite small and slightly built, they put her on an SR which seemed fine for her. Also she had high heel motorcycle boots, don't know if that helps but you could look into it.

As others have said, don't give up! Maybe you should make becoming an instructor a goal for yourself as an inspiring aim point so you don't get disheartened by little setbacks like this. Smile

Also........ Nut Up ! Hehee

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 12:37 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:
ask for a female trainer

I don't agree with this bit, there's no reason to assume a female trainer will be any more suited than a male one, you just want a trainer who isn't a dick.

Part of the skill of being a good instructor is being able to read what makes your pupil tick - do they need hand-holding, do they need challenging, can you take the piss or do they need gentle coaxing? This bit is the skill, and differentiates a good teacher from one who is merely going through the motions. A good instructor could be 6 foot 6, built like a brick shithouse and still understand what a shortarse is going through.

FWIW, when I did my DAS, they had a spare seat for the ER5 which had been cut down a bit to help out the shorter riders (who do actually come in both flavours!).

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:01 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy, yeah I can agree with you. I guess I just find a man being an arse more annoying than if its a woman. If its a bloke I just want to punch them but a woman it just dousent effect me. Also my experience of doing training in other areas women seem to do it better on the whole I think its because they have less utistic tendancies Smile

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought it was a prerequisite that any driving instructor had to point out tits and ass?
All my lessons involved someone at some point (car and bike) pointing out women.

Would agree with a different school, probably one that has a VanVan, though my misses did struggle with riding the one she had and she is 5,11.

What I have found is that there are usually 4-5 CBT schools in the area, and only one of them will be decent and actually interested in you learning how to ride a bike, consider asking local bikers who they would recommend to take CBT with, then check if they have something like a VanVan with a really low seat, and you get to ride a VanVan
00:32:08 Blau Zedong: yes, i am a massive CB400 fan and collector
00:33:00 Blau Zedong: the CB400 is my favourite road bike

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 14:28 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:
Bendy, yeah I can agree with you. I guess I just find a man being an arse more annoying than if its a woman. If its a bloke I just want to punch them but a woman it just dousent effect me. Also my experience of doing training in other areas women seem to do it better on the whole I think its because they have less utistic tendancies Smile

See, I find a woman being an arse far more annoying. It always seems so much more like they mean it. Y'know like the way blokes will have a fight, then say "right" and go to the pub and it's all fine, while women will hold a grudge that lasts a lifetime and be bitchily polite and fake about it all. Can't be doing with all that, in fact I fear I would go out of my way not to have a female instructor. Mmm, feminism ftw. Confused

If my male instructor was being a bit of an arse, assessing the tits and ass of every woman who we encountered, I'd probably just start making lewd comments about every bloke we encountered in return. Play them at their own game. Laughing It is a bit inappropriate though, not really 'on' until they've worked out if you're both on the same wavelength humour-wise.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:06 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
there's no reason to assume a female trainer will be any more suited than a male one, you just want a trainer who isn't a dick.

Look, pet, it's great that you've got an iPad in the kitchen now, but men are talking here. Hand

Slightly more seriously, I had a great CBT road ride and then later an IAM assessed ride with laaadies. It might be the rampant sexualist in me, but darn it, I'm going to come out and say it: women tend to make better teachers, and sight unseen, I'd prefer to have one. For teaching.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 225 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2