Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

yamaha thunderace conversions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

roblar
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:48 - 18 Feb 2013    Post subject: yamaha thunderace conversions Reply with quote

hi is there anyone out there who have had or have a thunderace, i have had one now for two years and am now going to cut off the rear subframe and rear end and graft on a complete R6 rear end, as the ace arse is rather fat! bike a comfortable cruiser with good power and eats up the miles, ive also just removed a large carbon micron can and fitted a A16 GP can and had lorenzo M1 style graphics made by darren at AIRFX
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ja7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:28 - 18 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good project, I agree with fat ass, Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

roblar
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:39 - 18 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the cutting starts on wendesday! and cant wait ! will post some pics!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:05 - 19 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike looks superb as it is. Do not touch it...

rzsteve
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:18 - 19 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an Ace for 2 years, just sold it this week and miss her already Sad I thought the bike had good standard proportions but I guess each to their own. Would it look ok with a skinny ass and a large front though?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:44 - 19 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll end up with a fat bike with a narrow ass and it will look stupid.

Rowey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 19 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that looks really good as it is. I'm inclined to agree with the rest of them, it's going to be hard to get a slim tail to fit/blend with the rest of the bike.

If you have to put a slimmer tail, try and use something that isn't as svelte as a newer R6 rear.

roblar
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:30 - 19 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

well now i have something to think about! the R6 rear end i brought is off a t reg bike that had been broken for spares the length should be approx the same length and the width is only slightly narrower its the depth that is quite different, i plan to lift the tail slightly more than nornal showing off the rear wheel more, the lights are led with built in indicators, issues i will have looks like the the tank fixing, weather to bolt or weld rear chassis on, battery position etc , also fitted carbon mirrors with indicators inset as the original mirrors are only good for looking at your own elbows! anyway thanks for your comments and lok forward to show you more pics attached is the one today just before we started to strip it down

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:32 - 19 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the mirrors and leave it as it is. Honestly, looks stunning.

roblar
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:52 - 19 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bike was pretty rough whe i first brought it ......or traded it i had a 600 thundercat and a mate had the ace that he never rode or cleaned so we did a swop and had a long weekend cleaning all the grime off and was pleased how good the build was, the tank and all the plastics came up well but the bike looked boring it also had the biggest ugliest exhaust ive seen, i changed that for carbon micron exhaust and found some graphics on a picture of lorenzos M1 GP bike, Daz from grafix fx made up a set and it transformed the looks. the handling was poor the front end tended to dive into corners, this changed when i put on new rubber, now the handling and brakes are excellent attached is a pic of a similar bike with that bloody ugly exhaust!
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Amreet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:49 - 19 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks way better with standard tail. r6 tail will only make it look worse. bike looks really tidy as is.

nick.h
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 19 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

YZF750R rear end maybe, but I think I'd prefer a YZF750R with the 'ace engine.
[Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:15 - 20 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticking an R6 tail on that will fuck the entire looks of that bike up. Just leave it and buy an R6.

roblar
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:19 - 20 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

well lads thanks for all the support!i understand where you guys are comming from but i have tried a R1 and R6 but being 6ft 2 and 18 stone these bikes look like a 125, its a problem us big fellas have! while i could lose weight unless i become an amputee im bolloxed! but i started today and not found to many problems that we cant get over, will send over more pics tomorrow hopefully will be welded up and have the seat and rear cowl fixed and if i have time the dreaded electrics! sorry the pictures crap!

Ja7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:44 - 20 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't hang around, Laughing I'm looking forward to see it done now. Thumbs Up

roblar
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:19 - 21 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! beginning to think everyone thought i was a complete tosser!
hoping to have seat and cowl assembly on today and got to find new mounting positions for header tank for overflow bottle etc
will do some more pics later

roblar
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:58 - 21 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

thursday!! really pleased welder did a great job really pleased getting there with the look im after its totally transformed it really chuffed it looks the nards!

Ja7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:01 - 21 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome bud, are there any more pics, gotta rub the haters faces in it Thumbs Up

roblar
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:02 - 21 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

need pillion seat cowl ! any ideas for a 99 R6 !

atg90
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 21 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seat unit really suits it. When I read that you wanted an R6 tail on it, I was thinking you wanted the new style. Looks really good can't wait to see the finished thing.

roblar
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:09 - 21 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers! we seem to be a club of 2 !!!

roblar
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:11 - 21 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

@uck! now three of us like it! Very Happy

Ja7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:16 - 21 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found one on ebay but black dunno if you wanted a custom one,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-YZF-R6-98-02-Seat-Cowl-Black-/181079456347?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a292d3a5b&_uhb=1
This or this I like the first one myself, second is the one on the link.

Last edited by Ja7 on 21:30 - 21 Feb 2013; edited 3 times in total

roblar
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:28 - 21 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi cheers! i must have miss read the advert when i saw it yesterday thought it was carbon, will call them tomorrow and see if they have one on the shelf, as you can probably gather i hate waiting! 30 days wait would be a bummer! as hoping the rear will be painted next wed and would be good to paint it all together as want to keep the rear all blue and that should keep it looking slim, had the rear pillon handles removed, paula my better half prefers to wrap herself around me instead of grips, also ordered GP rear brake resivoir and the rear light has built in lcd indicators and lights so should look skinny
again thanks for the link
rob
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2