Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

front forks clicking and head bearings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:18 - 30 Nov 2012    Post subject: front forks clicking and head bearings Reply with quote

firstly i just put a new stem on and noticed the clicky forks

then I checked the head bearings and to be honest, im not sure if its supposed to have a spacer type thing on it but when I moved it off of this piece the forks became loose in the frame so im wondering if its part of the bearing shell??

not done these bearings before so a bit of advice before I go buy some new ones

picture of the bearing still pushed down to the bottom of the head tube and a video of the clicking

https://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k493/steven_191/2012-11-30173512.jpg

https://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k493/steven_191/th_VIDEO0034.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:21 - 30 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

also forgot to say, it sounds to me like the spring but has only just done it today. Havent ridden it for about 2 weeks

and its a scott genius mc50. possibly 2006ish. the forks are rock shoc recon u-turn 351 i think
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:14 - 30 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like the headset needs a strip and grease but for now put it together leave the pinch bolts on the stem loose and put weight on it to push the fork up into the bearing push the stem down on the steerer and does the steerer tube come proud of the new stem ? if so you need another headset spacer if not do up the top cap / star nut bolt untill the play and click dissapears and then do up your stems pinch bolts.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 01 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyB1989 wrote:
looks like the headset needs a strip and grease, but for now put it together, leaving the pinch bolts on the stem loose and put weight on it to push the fork up into the bearing.

Then push the stem down on the steerer - does the steerer tube come proud of the new stem ? if so you need another headset spacer. If not, do up the top cap / star nut bolt untill the play and click dissapears and then do up your stems pinch bolts.

Edited for punctuation so the decent advice is readable.

Personally, if I had it in that state of dismantling the bearings would be definitely stripped, cleaned and regreased before reassembly as suggested above. You might as well. Take careful note of the order which things come apart.

The other thing I would say to check whether the headset is fucked, when all assembled and done up tight, put the front brake hard on, and try to push the bike forward. You will be able to see if the steerer tube has play in the headstock. If it does, then the headset is most likely knackered, definitely so if you can feel clicks and 'rough' feel when you turn the bars.

Embarassed [added on request of my daughter who is watching]

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:23 - 01 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry about me , never hasve been good with punctuation or writing in general.

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:39 - 01 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The head set was a bit loose a while back. I tightened up the top nut which sorted it out.

It's more about the condition of the bearings. I wasn't sure if those parts were supposed to come loose or not. When bolted up there isn't any play.

As for the forks. I'm thinking of giving it a strip down and checking it over. Any advice? I'm capable with the work involved it I haven't done a fork strip before

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 01 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The click is the spring hitting the inside of the stanchions. Some shrink wrap around the coil can quieten it down.

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:22 - 03 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

cagiva gezzer wrote:
The click is the spring hitting the inside of the stanchions. Some shrink wrap around the coil can quieten it down.

thats exactly what I thought. Its just odd that its doing it as loud as that when before it was completely fine. It sounds dry but to be honest I'm not sure if there is supposed to be oil in that side.

Does anyone have a service manual for these forks? will start googling for them soon
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 118 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1