BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scary moments....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 01 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say that riding up the A2 heading towards the Blackwall Tunnel in rush hour. Riding along quite happily, then CLUNK! That sounded bad, so I move into the outer lane to stop just in case. However before I can even flick my indicator on, bang! The chain snaps, wraps itself around the back wheel and locks it solid skidding me to a halt 20yards further down the road. This is scary when you see dozens of arctics thundering down the road at 50 odd mph, and any one of them could have hit me!

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 15:36 - 01 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was while I was on my DAS training. I was in a NSL heading up a bank - there are 2 lanes up and one down. I was in the left hand lane behind a 4x4 and decided that it was going too slow. I did my mirror/lifesaver checks and began to pull out into the 2nd lane and as I was just moving out a 7 1/2tonner came past in the wrong lane. I was probably 6 inches from it, doing around 55~60 and I bet the truck was doing at least that.

Bugger.

Ninja
Caption Abuser

PostPosted: 15:46 - 01 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binning my first 'bike - a GP100 - I had been razzing around the local B roads; approaching an 'S' which I could see perfectly as a right hander into it and I could also sight the exit left hander as it went up the hill in front of me - the middle bit was slightly obscured by a small hill that 'made' the 'S'. Decided to take a line through it - only to find that as I went into the right hander, I was going 20mph too fast as the road actually doubled back sharply into two tight hairpins and not the fast 'S' I thought I sould see!

Locked the front as I tried to make the best of it but still ended up in the ditch past the apex of the first 'hairpin', waist deep in nettles!

One where I was nearly lowsided in the wet in my car by a CBR600 - he had been waiting at a give way (on my left as I approached ) to join the main traffic flow - decided he could make it so gassed it out in front of me; only to have the back end of the 'bike whip round as it went into MASSIVE oversteer and almost lowside - ELATION as the guy managed to save it - he pulled up about 5yards further on to calm down. I pulled up and congratulated him on the save - he just grinned inanely with the aftershock of the adrenalin hit!

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 01:03 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm ive had 100's but aint we all. A few that spring to mind was the lesson about dont let people force you to go on their souped up crosser days after learning to ride... (40mph wheelie in a fence then flipped into a tree... walked out tho Laughing)

When i was admiring a skirt a girl was wearing (ahem) and looked back to the road to see a big traffic jam in my lane that WAS SO NOT THERE... cue 5 foot high stoppy to side of car.

Erm couple of days after passing my cbt i was riding on my back brake alot, and that was liveable, until about 4 days in i was following a car at about 45, it was a learner, and they came to a completely clear junction slowed abit, started speeding up then stopped bam. Id gone from light braking, off then wham shit im gonna die braking with the back, cue big sideways skid but somehow controled it.

The time i hit a roundabout barrier was pretty gnarly too, lost backend somehow round a roundabout doign about 45, managed to pick it up, it was then pointing straight at the 2 foot high concrete barrier around this dually roundabout, managed to counter steer away from it, but still hit it at a shallow angle (dead thigh for a week) and was grinding along, had to thump off with my forearm, took a lump of my finger and shredded my arm a tad (through a 400 quid leather jacket + its arm armour Sad). That said i rode off whoopping and screaming Very Happy.

Oh and latest, my new bike (goose 350), has very VERY shoddy brakes atm, relying mainly on engine braking. Well going along this stupid under limited road (20mph) at about 60 70 ish cos it has a buatiful curve and its really wide. Bus in other lane further on, i get to about 50 yards from it and two old people, walking sticks and all, start to dodder across the road .. ARRRRGH brakes, downgear stick feet down everything. Turns out i sloughed of the speed piss easy. But not groovy.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 12:28 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
Oh and latest, my new bike (goose 350), has very VERY shoddy brakes atm, relying mainly on engine braking. Well going along this stupid under limited road (20mph) at about 60 70 ish cos it has a buatiful curve and its really wide. Bus in other lane further on, i get to about 50 yards from it and two old people, walking sticks and all, start to dodder across the road ..

And that, ladies and germs, is why we do NOT do 3 times the limit in a 20mph zone. Rolling Eyes

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:33 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
When i was admiring a skirt a girl was wearing (ahem) and looked back to the road to see a big traffic jam in my lane that WAS SO NOT THERE... cue 5 foot high stoppy to side of car.

bonny_ricardo wrote:
Oh and latest, my new bike (goose 350), has very VERY shoddy brakes atm, relying mainly on engine braking. Well going along this stupid under limited road (20mph) at about 60 70 ish cos it has a buatiful curve and its really wide. Bus in other lane further on, i get to about 50 yards from it and two old people, walking sticks and all, start to dodder across the road.

And we wonder why motorcyclists get such a bad press... Brick Wall
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:40 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only really scared myself 3 times. Both of them slightly missjudging an overtake. 1st overtaking a lorry and finding a car comming the other way, wasn't too bad, just went between them but was a bit close.

2nd time was chasing a t595 along A roads and expeting the the bike to overtake a lorry faster than he did. Got in front of the lorry just in time to tip into the corner.

3rd time comming upto a roundabout and going straigh on but in the right lane going inside cars on the roundabout, no a problem until a car pulled out of the road before my exit and went across the front of me. How I missed it I dont know, would of sworn I hit it but the car drove and and couldn't find any damage on the bike.

I dont think 3 scares is that bad considering I ride too fast most of the time. Luckily didn't try to crash a customers bike.

bunny-chan
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

(NB: I dont ride yet, I just pillion Embarassed )

My scary moment was when me and my boyfriend was heading out towards stratford, following his dad. His dad over took a flat bed lorry and whilst we were waiting for a safe place to over take, the lorry slammed on his brakes and we went into the back of him. Front end got squashed, bike got flipped and we came off. Then the bike hit a car. Scary.
https://www.eternalsailormoon.co.uk/motorbike.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sv_cath
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:07 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

**OUCH!!!**

That looks nasty. Were you OK?

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 15:26 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one trashed bike. Shocked

I had a bit of a scarry moment last weekend while borrowing Bendy's nice CBR. Coming off of a roundabout I hit a join in the tarmac, the back wheel tried to overtake the front and the bike bucked me up in the air. Confused
I had just enough time to think 'oh fook I've binned bendy's bike' before it sorted it's self out.

bunny-chan
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

We both got up and walked away but were bruised.
Found out the he wasn't actually insured for pillions and so the insurance has been invalidated and now he has to pay the lady who's car the bike went into.
Lesson to be learnt: If you purchase insurance online, please check you're policy thoroughly in order to avoid this situation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ninja
Caption Abuser

PostPosted: 15:40 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
...Bus in other lane further on, i get to about 50 yards from it and two old people, walking sticks and all, start to dodder across the road ...

as you'd actually expect from a bus that was chundering away at the side of the road!

READ THE SIGNS MAN!

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pheasant took out the front wheel of my 350LC at about 100MPH just before i was about to start braking for a 40MPH corner.

I ended up sliding a long way in to a field on my back through a hedge. I think the scariest part was not knowing what was on the otherside of the hedge and watching the bike go through it before me.

That was 11 years ago. Jesus, where has all the years gone?!! Shocked

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 17:47 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark,

Mad!

A colleague got thrown over the handlebars when he hit a rabit at over 100mph. Shocking that such a small creature can have such a dramatic effect. You would have thought at that speed that you would just explode the animal out of your way and continue...

I had a rabit run out on me at very high speed! Missed by a whisker...

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:48 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunny-chan wrote:
My scary moment was when me and my boyfriend was heading out towards stratford, following his dad.

You didn't sell that bike on Ebay about 9 months ago did you? Think I recognise the picture.

Not sure they really should be able to invalidate you insurance for carrying a pillion. I would definatly chase that one a bit further,

All the best

Keith

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 00:42 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
bonny_ricardo wrote:
Oh and latest, my new bike (goose 350), has very VERY shoddy brakes atm, relying mainly on engine braking. Well going along this stupid under limited road (20mph) at about 60 70 ish cos it has a buatiful curve and its really wide. Bus in other lane further on, i get to about 50 yards from it and two old people, walking sticks and all, start to dodder across the road ..

And that, ladies and germs, is why we do NOT do 3 times the limit in a 20mph zone. Rolling Eyes

Yes i must admit was a bit bad, altho to be fair i was probably doing less and stood no chance of hitting them really. Just a shock. Plus the bus had JUST pulled up, they were just hiding behind it or something. Besides i have little self control on 'clear' straights, give it a month and ill be sedate enough. Honest.
(and p.s. i do use speed in a prudent manner, i wait for sliproads, big striaght duallys etc and i just love the blasting past people thing, which if were honest is what bikings about. And i really have no idea why its a 20, EVERYONE on there does 40 odd, even the buses)
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:46 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I f*cked a fat bird years ago... That was a scary moment Wink

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 00:49 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip wrote:
I f*cked a fat bird years ago... That was a scary moment Wink

lol know the feeling Embarassed you know youll regret it when you mistakenly fondle her gut instead of her boob Embarassed Shocked Embarassed

speaking hypothetically of course Laughing Rolling Eyes

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 00:49 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:

Yes i must admit was a bit bad, altho to be fair i was probably doing less and stood no chance of hitting them really. Just a shock. Plus the bus had JUST pulled up, they were just hiding behind it or something. Besides i have little self control on 'clear' straights, give it a month and ill be sedate enough. Honest.
(and p.s. i do use speed in a prudent manner, i wait for sliproads, big striaght duallys etc and i just love the blasting past people thing, which if were honest is what bikings about. And i really have no idea why its a 20, EVERYONE on there does 40 odd, even the buses)

70mph in a 20 zone, blasting past people and everything just backs up the fact that your a twat who shouldn't be allowed on the roads. YOU give bikers a bad name and don't even think about denying that when you've just said 70mph in a 20!

Everyone speeds, even in 20's but I bet no one here does silly speeds like that in a dangerous 20 zone, regardless of whether or not other people speed. It's still a 20 zone and you really are still a twat in my opinion. Everything you say backs up the fact your an idiot on the roads and it's you that makes my insurance so damn expensive Crying or Very sad

Give me my money back! RazzLaughing

Cassy
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey

i guess mine would be when luke went in the back of me. not to bad.

Cassy

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 00:54 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta watch out for pheasants, there are Crazy Suicide birds i have almost hit 2 of them Smile and almost headbutted a red breast robin. country lanes pah

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 00:59 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riiiiiite yams... i am safe when i need to be. I have no problems coming off an overtake and tucking back in if i feel unsafe. I see the signs usually (and that bus looked like it was getting embarked not letting people off, plus JUST turned up) and also as i said speed came off piss. Hell i coulda been doing 40. And i take it you never done over a ton on a dually? Cos thats 3 times the limit, it may be safe, but still 3 times the limit. Its set that low because its a through road between two main roads and they dont want it used like that, plus further on the bends are sharp and its built up, the end i was on has a nice straight/sweeping curve with good visibility so frankly Middle Finger Evil or Very Mad Middle Finger to be honest.

As for blasting past people, name one person who doesnt? On a bike? Be it filtering, the very beginning from roundabouts to duallys where you can accelerate past them as you are still bringing it up... its fun. Its why we ride. Fuck you if you think its just about the posing on some pretty bike but riding to the speed limits unless you somehow magically discover a 150mph limit, completely straight road tucked away somewhere... NSL roads are even worse for speeding then duallies. They are usually poor visibility, tend to be the 'slow' alternative to m'ways for most people who drive 'safely' - i.e. dangerously below speed limits - and when u cane into the back of them or have to bin it in a bush to escape dont blame me.
Who raises insurance...?

GSXR
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:16 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
..that bus looked like it was getting embarked not letting people off, plus JUST turned up...and also as i said speed came off piss. And i take it you never done over a ton on a dually? Cos thats 3 times the limit, it may be safe, but still 3 times the limit.Who raises insurance...?

When you're in a hole just stop digging. Simple. Wink

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 01:21 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know but i take the bad feedback way to personally.

Altho a nickname a mates mum gave me was die young.... but out of context anyone saying they do past the speed limit etc sounds like death on wheels. i find what is worse are people wo offside at high speed on blind country lanes covered in gravel for no reason. Thats not good.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 01:30 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speeding on open roads where there aren't any buildings, houses, parks, schools, buses letting people off, people crossing the road to go to the shops, kids playing football on the local field is safe yes, speeding around town isn't. 70 in a 20, you've said numerous times you got caught out by the bus Eh? yes that's why you don't speed ffs, you were lucky this time what about next time when Mrs Dopey pushes her pram out to cross the road from the hidden front of the bus?! What then?

Quote:
Fuck you if you think its just about the posing on some pretty bike

OK, so because I have a bigger better, newer, nicer bike than you means I just pose do I? Ask anyone who rides with me on a regular basis or on the odd ride out, I don't stick to speed limits unless it's around town when I try to keep around the limit (not 3 times over it)

You've been riding the goose thing for a week and you think your a better rider than me already Rolling Eyes I'm by no means a great rider or anything, but I rest assured I'm a better rider than you as I've been riding big bikes for longer/more miles!

Quote:
and when u cane into the back of them or have to bin it in a bush to escape dont blame me.

How do you work that one out then? When I overtake, I tend to do safely, which generally means I'm not as "mad" as some of the other people I do/have ridden with. I'm very cautious at over-taking as it can all go the shape of a pear, but trust me, I try my best to look ahead, read the roads and work out whens best to overtake and I can honestly say that in a year of riding and loads of overtaking, I've never actually thought "shit - I'm not going to make it past Shocked" So I can't really see me ploughing into the back of a slower moving car Rolling Eyes because that's just silly.

If you want to hire a JCB you could then dig yourself further and deeper into this hole, I hope other people agree that from the basis of your posts, what you've said etc, then I'd like to think people agree your a twat (in a biking sense, your probably not a twat as a person, but I don't know you apart from your dumb posts on here saying how you do 70 in a 20 zone)

And to answer your question:

Quote:
Who raises insurance...?

Still, people like you!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3