Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

War on Britain's Roads

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 02 Dec 2012    Post subject: War on Britain's Roads Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01p7q2l/War_on_Britains_Roads/

Will be showing on Wednesday. I saw it advertised on BBC 1 today, recognised a few of the clips from a few YouTubers I follow. Seems to be based entirely around cyclists and probably in London, so that's why it's posted in here, shame they didn't used motorbike clips as well, Premises187 has some good un's.

Last edited by Irn-Bru on 08:33 - 06 Dec 2012; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 03 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensationalist bollocks, which will cause more problems than it solves.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:22 - 03 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm Thinking
From here
BBC wrote:
Cyclist, Lewis, confronts drivers who are breaking the law whilst driving. He observes the vast number of people on their mobile phones and addresses the issue.

So as the BBC is allegedly about balanced reporting what about addressing the issue of the vast number of cyclists who break the law (red lights, pavements, etc.).

Not holding my breath on that one. Groups like the CTC make the cyclist lobby group for politicians (IMO more effective than the likes of MAG as they can play the green, healthy exercise cards).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 05 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found that quite interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 05 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, forgot about it, will watch it on iPlayer tomorrow Smile

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 05 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well all I can say is that I'm glad I live in Devon. Some of those clips on there were proper 'ooooh shiittt' moments.
Cyclists don't do themselves any favours by riding roughshod over the laws of the road. There may be more sympathy if they weren't running reds left, right and centre. Fully agree with positioning to prevent traffic mowing you into the gutter though.
The sooner tougher action is taken with all road users abusing road laws, and those resorting to fisticuffs, the better.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 06 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched it, it was quite good actually, as expected from the BBC.

I was amazed by the lady who lost her daughter, buying shares in the company just to get in the meetings, very clever and it worked very well. I admire her ability to use her grief as motivation to help prevent other deaths.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:45 - 07 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this on iPlayer and took a look, recognise many of the vids they used.

Looks like CycleGaz (The guy with the glasses) is just as smug and self-satisfied off his bike as he is on. Guy seriously annoys me.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 07 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

He reminds me of Tay Zonday, the Chocolate Rain guy.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 07 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched some of it. That guy who rode around with lights on his head pissed me off when he started to chase people down and do u-turns in the middle of the road just to prove his point.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 07 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:

Looks like CycleGaz (The guy with the glasses) is just as smug and self-satisfied off his bike as he is on. Guy seriously annoys me.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2244242/Id-happily-run-Cyclist-took-controversial-BBC-documentary-inundated-hate-messages-death-threats.html?ICO=most_read_module

Laughing

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 07 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In a later segment, Williams said he was not afraid to annoy drivers by riding in the middle of the road if it was safe to do so.

He also said right after, this was to stop cars over taking inappropriately, i.e. traffic islands. Wonder if the police will be interested in the death threats on Twitter, or are they still into the racism thing.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 07 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:

He also said right after, this was to stop cars over taking inappropriately, i.e. traffic islands.

He's got a point but his execution of it is pretty crap. The vid with the taxi driver is a classic - he's got acres of space to his left and there's no need for such a dominant road position but he takes it anyway and gets all shirty when the guy pulls in towards him slightly.

It's all very narky over nothing, and more than a bit militant.

Spamalittle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:03 - 08 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched this on the iplayer. Aaaaaaaghhhhhhh - this broadcast did no favours whatsoever for cyclists on Britain's roads IMHO.

I've been aware of the Ãœber-Twat, cyclegaz, for a while now and am familiar with his youtube videos - all of which do nothing but instill a sense of anger, and just a wee bit of vomit at the back of my mouth, at how cyclists will be perceived by those who watch them.

I'm a daily cyclist, and a decent one at that. Not blowing my trumpet or anything but I DO follow the highway code (maybe it helps being a motorcyclist and driver as well, I dunno): lame hi-vis jacket, no skipping red lights, no pavement hopping and no hogging lanes unnecessarily.

I've always said that cyclegaz is an aggressive and antagonistic rider who does nothing but sully the name of decent riders and this even came across crystal-fecking-clear in the programme. WHY ffs choose this arrogant scrote-bag to be one of the 'positive' representatives of the cycling populus?! What CG's ickle, middle-class, mind can't seem to comprehend is that compromise and co-operation is needed from ALL road users so we can advance to a point where we can get along together. None of this 'them and us' fecking mentality.

The beeb are calling their programme 'controversial.' Not bloody half; did much more fecking damage than good, I'd say.

Not looking forward to commute on Monday that's for sure.

ok, rant over Embarassed

Stiffler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 08 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a strong believer in "primary position" when needed. But the examples shown were mostly terrible and he was in the wrong to block the road as he did. Although obviously the taxi drivers reaction was over the top. The guy is just a self important extremist.

Must admit I've seen red myself over the years when I've had near misses. About 5 years ago I chased down an Articulated lorry and threw my drinks bottle at the drivers window after he overtook me so closely the trailer clipped my arm. As soon as the truck started to move past me I dived as far left as I could but there were railings to my left and I barely escaped being crushed. Wish I'd been wearing a camera for that one!

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:13 - 08 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watching it now.

Fucking hell, I want to hurt 'CycleGaz'. He is a proper cunt.

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 08 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

D O G wrote:
Just watching it now.

Fucking hell, I want to hurt 'CycleGaz'. He is a proper cunt.

He is quite a Whingey hypocritical person who most the time seems to cause the problem unfortunately.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:25 - 08 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as for 'traffic droid'...if only he had been wiped out properly.

Dickhead.

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:35 - 08 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol the Traffic Droid makes me laugh. He's so obnoxious but so laughable he can get away with it.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 03:20 - 08 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok discussing this on a motorcycle forum but I just wondered if anyone knows the reaction on cycle forums (I would look but got lost which to pick in the google results).

As said cyclists don't come out of this too well. Than again as also said probably not representative yet probably what most think of them. Same could be said of the taxi drivers too.

Summary of what I found on londoncyclist.co.uk appears to be cyclists are ok it's all motorist fault and the BBC documentary is biased.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:47 - 08 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in London and spend a lot of time walking around the city between various offices.

Obviously there's good and bad cyclists, good and bad drivers. I see some ridiculous things from both. I've witnessed 4 accidents involving cyclists in the last ~5 years and they all had one thing in common; the cyclist didn't appreciate how little they could be seen.

1) Cyclist filtering up inside to set of lights gets alongside a 7.5 tonner just as the lights change - gets squished into the railings and fortunately for her up and over them. That one really shit me up as I could see it coming and thought she was a gonner; she was certainly extremely lucky
2) Cyclist filtering down right hand side of road and gets to rear quarter blind spot of car as traffic starts to move / road starts to narrow to get through a bollard island. Splat into the bollard. Hilarious to watch, and so easy to see coming. The car was always going to take that line and isn't going to mirror / head swirl to move ~12 inches to their right!
3) Cyclist filtering on left hand side past left hand junction, goes up inside of car just as the bloke in front of the car in question moves up, after previously not wanting to block the junction to cars turning right, allowing this car to perform its left hand turn it'd been waiting for. There was no indicator, but the wheels were pointing in towards the turn and the car was slightly angled that way, and it looked obvious to me as a bystander that it was at least a strong possibility.
4) Bad one - cyclist finds himself stuck between two large vehicles on a tight bit of road. Bike gets snagged, balance goes, he goes down, truck to left runs over body parts. Not fatal, guy was conscious throughout and probably got away with quite minor injuries in real terms - few broken bones at least though, especially forearm. Pretty horrific.

shereen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 08 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was it on the forum who got knocked off their motorbike when a pushbike jumped red lights in London?

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 08 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serendipity

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=248444

TheBikerStig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:14 - 12 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Ok discussing this on a motorcycle forum but I just wondered if anyone knows the reaction on cycle forums (I would look but got lost which to pick in the google results).

As said cyclists don't come out of this too well. Than again as also said probably not representative yet probably what most think of them. Same could be said of the taxi drivers too.

Summary of what I found on londoncyclist.co.uk appears to be cyclists are ok it's all motorist fault and the BBC documentary is biased.

Well I posted this on cyclechat and it got deleted. Enough said.
Some say that he is the sole survivor of Atlantis, and that he refused to speed test a new Hayabusa this morning simply because there was no milk for his Brexit. All we know is hes called TheBikerStig.

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 12 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched this after meaning to watch it for a while now.

That CycleGaz was very annoying as was that Traffic Droid guy. See someone jump a red light, jumps a red light himself to chase them down to tell them they shouldn't do it... As the taxi driver said though those guys and people like them will all meet someone who will have no problem giving them a good slap at some point so I guess it's a case of letting it all take it's course.

That Scottish guy who was almost wiped out by the truck was pretty scary and the tenacity of the woman who lost her daughter was admirable to say the least.

I live in Manchester and regularly commute to work through the city centre by bicycle. I'm no angel when it comes to cycling but I'd say the amount of proper near misses I've had on a bicycle are comparable to the number of near misses I've had on motorbikes. Not many at all. I like to think I'm always aware of what's around me as I rarely cycle with headphones on and while I ride defensively I don't ride up the middle of any lanes if I don't have to! Ultimately I realise if I get into a fight with a tonnes worth of metal box on wheels I'm not going to win so why put myself in that situation?

On a related note, I've been thinking lately it would be pretty funny to go for a cycle with a helmet cam on and react to good and courteous driving in the same way these angry cycle vloggers do to bad driving except shouting thanks and kind messages instead of angry threats Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2