Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Technophobia

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

U_W v2.0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he drive?

If so its not an inablity to learn, its unwillingness.

Some people take forever to learn how to do something, but patients and perseverance helps.
____________________
BCF's biggest cunt list: Cansa, Pits, Rob
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fatpies
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not so simple.

In education we call them digital immigrants vs digital natives.

Kiddies of the 80s and 90s grew up with these things therefore it is native and normalised to them, they amass their 10,000 hours of practice and use quickly. Dispatch riders get 10,000 riding hours quickly. Add in the 10,000 hour rule, where you need at least 1000 to become competent.

It is an almost identical situation as if you were to fly to Peking and live there. Being unable to read signs and do the daily things people take for granted. Because you're an immigrant.


While tech of today we might be able to use well and be natives. The next big thing we'll probably be completely clueless about.
____________________
"It's easy to attack and destroy an act of creation. It's a lot more difficult to perform one"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:28 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mum has just got an ipad. Sad The sports watch I got her for xmas still hasn't been setup. Sad

I reckon it'll take 3-4hrs of tuition...for the watch. Sad

My 92yr old Nan(RIP x) had no problems when she upgraded her telly to digital nor her mobile phone. She had beautiful handwriting and used her calligraphy on our Birthday cards, letters etc, so it came as a bit of a surprise when she went all 'text speak' in her phone messages.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

U_W v2.0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatpies wrote:
While tech of today we might be able to use well and be natives. The next big thing we'll probably be completely clueless about.


Not sure i agree with that to be honest, I mean, Technology these days is a pretty fluent motion of progression, evolving and shaping in ways that are steady and flowing along an easy path so keeping up to date is typically rather easy.

I think the biggest change in daily technology we've had was HDMI cables, mostly down to the various "types" as in 1.1, 3.2 and so on. Although they've now generally stabalized at a universal figure.

I guess another example would be bluray itself, the fact it requires a HDTV, hdmi cable and bluray disks, they can be confusing to older people who dont realise the 3 go hand in hand.

Otherwise everything else generally flows, so if you can get into modern tech now, future tech should be pretty easy.
____________________
BCF's biggest cunt list: Cansa, Pits, Rob
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rigga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:53 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my mate, he doesn't change light bulbs or hang pictures on his wall. He just gets his dadto do it all.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rigga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:53 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my mate, he doesn't change light bulbs or hang pictures on his wall. He just gets his dadto do it all.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:57 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was the secretary at the local girlschool before she retired aged 60.
She was a superb human being.

[edit] Rigga, you are displaying signs of a techno-mong.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project


Last edited by Howling TerrorOutOfOffice on 16:12 - 05 Jan 2013; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rigga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:04 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my mate, he doesn't change light bulbs or hang pictures on his wall. He just gets his dadto do it all.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:20 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

IME, there's no particular age restriction on being a technobiff. Some even seem to take pride in the fact - "Oh, I don't know anything about computers, it's all far too complicated and I'm far too busy to learn."

ORLY? Would you brag about the fact that you were illiterate and refuse to do anything about it?
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:23 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
IME, there's no particular age restriction on being a technobiff. Some even seem to take pride in the fact - "Oh, I don't know anything about computers, it's all far too complicated and I'm far too busy to learn."

ORLY? Would you brag about the fact that you were illiterate and refuse to do anything about it?


Completely agree, that attitude annoys me nearly as much as the "oh, I'm no good at numbers" when talking about simple everyday maths. Why is it cool to be innumerate but not illiterate?
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:27 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-NqX9_yLNOqE/UMOYhVUW0xI/AAAAAAAAahk/Pb1HNk2XrTs/s1600/simpsons.png
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:32 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

People do it about all sorts of things - can't cook, can't check the oil, can't change a bulb, can't work the washing machine... They seem to take some twisted pride in being useless.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

U_W v2.0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:40 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
It definitely gets harder to learn new stuff as you get older. IIRC, brain cells stop reproducing when you're 35 so it's all downhill after that Laughing

I didn't get my first PC 'till I was about 40ish - it was a bit daunting at first and I can understand why some people just give up. It gets easier as you go though.


to give the other end of the spectrum, I first started using computers at age 7, by age 10 I could literally dismantle and reassemble a pc blindfolded and did it on a few occasions as a "party trick" to impress the old mans freinds. "look for bright my son is" soon turned into "look how much my son hates my guts" but hey, what ever haha. Point is, I've grown up with computers and find them so simple because of it.
____________________
BCF's biggest cunt list: Cansa, Pits, Rob
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:44 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
Completely agree, that attitude annoys me nearly as much as the "oh, I'm no good at numbers" when talking about simple everyday maths. Why is it cool to be innumerate but not illiterate?


Thing is, I really am no good at numbers. At school I was utter crap at maths, but I loved algebra and equations and the logic behind them. But when I realised you could use the latter to master the former, it really was one of those lightbulb-over-the-head moments.

Oh, and well done to my old maths teachers for all the accusations of stupidity and laziness and the letters to my parents - I wouldn't have missed all those hours I spent crying in my bedroom for the world. You cunts.
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:41 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get refuesnicks too.

There are some aspects of technology I have decided I can happily do without. If someone hands me an iphone to make a phone call on, I have no idea how to do so. They have to dial the number and hand it to me when it's ringing, I hand it back when I'm finished.

I don't have a smart phone for example. I don't watch broadcast TV. I have never had satellite TV.

I do not participate in online social networking.

I really do not like touch screens of any sort or the interfaces assosciated with them.

I don't use windows-based operating systems except where I have to for work.

I'm sure I could handle any of the above tech if I wanted to learn how to. I just don't want to.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:49 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
Thing is, I really am no good at numbers. At school I was utter crap at maths, but I loved algebra and equations and the logic behind them. But when I realised you could use the latter to master the former, it really was one of those lightbulb-over-the-head moments.

Oh, and well done to my old maths teachers for all the accusations of stupidity and laziness and the letters to my parents - I wouldn't have missed all those hours I spent crying in my bedroom for the world. You cunts.


Maths is mainly about the formulas rather than rote learning of times tables so you probably do it better than the majority. High speed calculations in the head are mainly an exercise in memory and are of limited use.

Sounds like you may have a touch of dyscalculia. Dyscalculia is probably as prevalent as dyslexia, but goes un diagnosed because poor numeracy is accepted. The other side of it is though - people are far more likely to reveal their dyscalculia and use it as an excuse for never doing any maths again. People with dyslexia (I know a few) tend to keep it secretive and try their damnedest to work around it.

Whether its difficult or not for an individual, maths is seen as unimportant in comparison to reading/writing by the majority and I find that rather sad. If everyone were at as high a level with the fundamentals of maths/logic/problem solving as they are with reading/writing we would have a much more rational population who wouldn't fall into the debt traps, wouldn't put up with so much crap from the governments and generally would have better lives.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Derivative
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:59 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
maths is seen as unimportant in comparison to reading/writing by the majority and I find that rather sad.


I'd say it's part of a larger problem, which is that personality is considered more important than competence.

See politicians or managers for an example.

Without language you can't interact socially.
Without mathematics you can't produce anything of meaningful value.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:19 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nephew is 18 months old. He can't speak properly yet, he just has one or two words. He waddles rather than walks, and yet he can strip down and rebuild a train that his grandparents bought him with a little screwdriver that is designed for it. Its only an early learning centre widget, but he's 18 months old FFS!

His mum is an artist by nature and made money as a professional Nanny before having him. His father is a kind of accounts consultant and writes business cases for industry and banks. Neither of them are particularly practical, and yet my nephew is going to end up being a mechanical Engineer.

If an 18 month old can strip down and rebuild the ELC train with nuts and bolts on it, and yet some people can't put a nut onto a bolt... what does that say about them?
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 1.23 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 138.65 Kb