Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fork won't split

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarkJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 10 Dec 2012    Post subject: Fork won't split Reply with quote

Hi, 1999 Hornet, one leg split no problem but the other is stuck. Feels as though the bottom bush is going underneath the top and I've tried for 5 hours to split them. It was going OK for the first few hours with the oil seal slowly coming out but now it's stopped about half way out and hasn't moved for the last two hours.

I've tried just doing the normal slide hammer technique with my hands and also bracing the stanchion in the yokes and giving it a right tug but it just won't give.

Sickpup in this thread said to:
Quote:
It's unlikely to be the seal thats seized, more chance it's the bush.

Drill two small holes 180 degrees apart into the fork seal then screw small self taping screws into the holes. Pull the sela out with mole grips or pliers.

Now try to pull the leg apart.

If the leg still won't come apart the bottom bush is going under the top bush expanding it and locking it in place.

Put the fork bottom in a vice, placing the vice jaws on the brake caliper fixings. Now take a blow torch to the top of the fork leg, heating it then pulling, heating then pulling, heating then pulling and eventually it will come aprt

Which I'm going to try now, except I don't have a vice Sad Does anyone have any other tips for getting the stanchion and slider to split?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 10 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a G-clamp? If not they are only a few quid. Cut a vee in a block of wood and clamp the leg to a bench with a G-clamp and the vee-block on top to protect it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 11 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago with a ZZR 600 fork leg. After several attempts to separate the two halves, using all of the usual tricks, I got pissed off and I took it to my local friendly motorcycle workshop. They, too, failed and were unable to separate the leg.
That was when I decided to man-up. I removed my vice from my workbench and took it outside. I then fastened the upper leg into the vice and inserted an old, redundant, wheel axle into the lower leg. I heated the seal area of the lower leg with a propane torch and when it was sufficiently heated, I attacked it, Tiger Woods style, with a 7lb hammer. After several almightly swings, the two halves were separated. The upper and lower bushes pulled straight through the seal, which decided to remain firmly seated within the lower leg. The seal was seized to the lower leg big-time but was easier to deal with now that the upper and lower leg halves were separated.
The moral of this story is, that sometimes, nothing short of brute force will do.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:41 - 11 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 fork wouldnt split on my old zxr, inner bush lodged behind the outer one.
I had to do this....

https://i47.tinypic.com/33jqqmp.jpg
https://i47.tinypic.com/24pjnzs.jpg

MarkJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:01 - 11 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Hopefully it won't come to that!

Pete: Good idea, I'll try that (on my flimsy table I have in the garage) Very Happy

Raffles, how does the wheel axle work, did you just put it through the spindle hole and hit it as close to the slider as possible? I know my bushes won't pass through the oil seal because there's a washer that sits between the oil seal and upper bush Sad Also, was the bike shop RTT?

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 11 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Raffles, how does the wheel axle work, did you just put it through the spindle hole and hit it as close to the slider as possible?

Yes, it needs to be struck as close to the leg as possible. It is also important to ensure that whatever the upper leg is fastened to is heavy, though not totally rigid and immovable.
It wasn't RTT that I took it to. They would probably have succeded.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 11 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOP

I had that same issue, but it is a simple solution.
There is a washer that sits under the seal and above the gubbings in the lower part of the forks.you will find that this has spot welded ityself in with a bit of corrotion. It will come out but you do need to wotk around it with a thin blade bit by bit. Keep tugging the forks apart and working on the washer. It will take time but you can do it. You will need new bushes no matter what so don't worry about them when trying to get them apart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Timmeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 11 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
1 fork wouldnt split on my old zxr, inner bush lodged behind the outer one.
I had to do this....

You could have avoided that if you'd been a little more careful, but I guess you knew that already...
20:22:30 BLUEX5: i would love to be forced to undergo a**l plugging with different sizes
20:48:18 Temeluchus: comp you hunk of smouldering homos3x you

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 11 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the bushes are ok and its just the seal that needs changing what you can do is remove the dust cover and wire clip then fill the fork with oild to the top put the cap back on and refit to the bike then bounce the bike the hydraulic pressure should be enough to push the seal out.

If it is way to stubborn you can put the fork between a wall/curb and use a jack on the other end against something else imovable and jack the seal out, make sure bothe ends are secure though so that the fork leg doesn't slip and fly off.

The only other option if the bushes just won't budge is serious amounts of heat to expand the fork tube opening. be carefull not to burn yourself though, welding gloves are good for this.

Some people are only alive cos its against the law to kill them.

Last edited by prawny1 on 21:31 - 11 Dec 2012; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 11 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post

Timmeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 11 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

prawny1 wrote:

eh?

So how do you change the seal with the stanchion still connected? Surely it has to slip over the top?
20:22:30 BLUEX5: i would love to be forced to undergo a**l plugging with different sizes

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 11 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timmeh wrote:
prawny1 wrote:

eh?

So how do you change the seal with the stanchion still connected? Surely it has to slip over the top?

I should have been more clear sorry there are different methods depending on the type of fork.

You take the fork back out of the yolks when you free the seal assuming you have conventional forks and just slide the seal upwards,

but usd forks are a bit harder to deal with as you can't slide the now free seal off the leg, at least by this stage you will be now able to get some heat directly on the bush though making final seperation that bit easier.

Timmeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 11 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaah, that makes sense then.

shame all my bikes have USDs, they are a right pain in the arse, especially the gixxers.

MarkJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 11 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd: the washer is underneath the oil seal but I can't get that out either. Sad

Prawny: it's a RWU fork so the dust seal is off. Unfortunately the bike is completely in bits so can't use the weight of the bike, but I do have a car jack so might have to find something just a bit higher than the fork leg to squash it with the jack Thumbs Up Does it need the springs and gubbins putting back in?

MarkJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 11 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh cock I just realised I drilled a hole in the oil seal to try and pull it out with mole grips as per the quote in my first post Mad

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:52 - 11 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did when my gsxr one was really stuck, got some of that blue rope, tied through the spindle hole and looped that around a solid concrete gate post.

Wrapped the lower part in loads of bubble wrap to stop it getting damaged and put a pair of marigolds on for maximum grip yo.

Kept tugging at it with all my weight.

Split it in the 2nd pull.

Unorthodox, but have you seen my bikes Laughing

Either way it worked. Wear a cape for maximum effect Wink

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 11 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Skudd: the washer is underneath the oil seal but I can't get that out either. Sad

Prawny: it's a RWU fork so the dust seal is off. Unfortunately the bike is completely in bits so can't use the weight of the bike, but I do have a car jack so might have to find something just a bit higher than the fork leg to squash it with the jack Thumbs Up Does it need the springs and gubbins putting back in?

yeah idealy springs and stuff in to reduce the volume of oil needed

next step if you have drilled the seal though would be to carefully deform the steel ring that makes up the outside of the seal using a screw driver or other prying device just genly knock it between the seal at the lower leg and twist/lever all the way round the edge eventualy it will reduce in diameter enough to wriggle out then clean up any rough marks and fill in any deep ones with a little resin and sanded smooth, just be careful not to mark the chrome

Assuning all the beshes are in good order and the chrome is good this should see them through a few years by whch time the forks will likey eed a full rebuild anyway.

MarkJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 12 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCF delivers.
https://i46.tinypic.com/xng6z4.jpg
That's how it came out - the lower bush came through the upper!

I used Paddy's ghetto method, except I used an iron gate hinge bracket with a cloth over it instead Very Happy
https://i49.tinypic.com/2w3dz5t.jpg

Still took a good half dozen pulls. And to think I was going to grind those hinges off. They will stay now, for future fork maintenance tasks Laughing

Thanks everyone Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 00:58 - 12 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes Mr. Green

Its a good method providing you stop the bit thats tied up from hitting anything hard, ala bubble wrap Laughing

Glad it worked for you Thumbs Up

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 12 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you need new bushes. Mine looked like that.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 12 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:48 - 12 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 139 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1