Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mountain bike budget of around £1000

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 17 Dec 2012    Post subject: Mountain bike budget of around £1000 Reply with quote

It has been a looong time since I had a mountain bike, but the bug is biting once again. Hardtail or full sus? In the past I could never afford or justify the outlay for a decent fully sus, but I am considering one now. Will mainly be starting out on cross country rides and trails am lucky enough to have some well known and some not so well known trails and tracks in the local area.

After spending most of Sunday trawling Google I came up with the B’Twin Rockrider 9.1https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-btwin-rockrider-91-12-45756 as a possible and the Boardman Team FS review
https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-boardman-mtb-team-fs-12-35829

Or would I be better waiting / looking for a second hand bike? Looked on ebay without much luck, are there any bike / MTB forums with a decent second hand sales area? Any suggestions on where to look and what make / model I might pick up for around a grand.

Cheers

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 17 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant comment on how either of the bike's ride that you posted as I haven't seen them before. I can comment on the parts though.
The B'Twin has very respectable parts for the price. Especially if you're not thinking too gnarly serious right now.
Shimano Deore/SLX is good drivetrain stuff but I got SRAM and will probably not get Shimano again.
Rock Shox Recons are good from what I hear but I wouldn't know as they're too small and skinny for my riding.
Everything else, as I say: reasonable.
The brakes however... Wouldn't trust them to stop me going uphill... Tektro = Evil shit. Would be swapping those out straight away.
Boardman has FARRR better parts on it IMO. SRAM X7 drivetrain is awesome stuff. I have X9.
Avid Elixirs for the anchors... Again, quality stuff.
As well as better forks and Boardman being a more popular company too. I find in MTB the more popular companies are popular because they are GOOD. Sure MTB has it's trends but that tends to be colours and product style as opposed to manufacturer.

I've always been wary about the though of buying second hand bikes... I dont like how I see alot of people treat their bikes and as such i'd have those thoughts in the back of my head the whole time i'm riding.

I'm a member of pinkbike which is the largest MTB forum. But it's international and predominantly Canadian members.

I bought my Marzocchi 66's off a guy on pinkbike, and it was a fine transaction and the forks have been awesome.

HTH

Mattaria
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:34 - 17 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:
I cant comment on how either of the bike's ride that you posted as I haven't seen them before. I can comment on the parts though.
The B'Twin has very respectable parts for the price. Especially if you're not thinking too gnarly serious right now.
Shimano Deore/SLX is good drivetrain stuff but I got SRAM and will probably not get Shimano again.
Rock Shox Recons are good from what I hear but I wouldn't know as they're too small and skinny for my riding.
The brakes however... Wouldn't trust them to stop me going uphill... Tektro = Evil shit. Would be swapping those out straight away.
Boardman has FARRR better parts on it IMO. SRAM X7 drivetrain is awesome stuff. I have X9.
As well as better forks and Boardman being a more popular company too. I find in MTB the more popular companies are popular because they are GOOD. Sure MTB has it's trends but that tends to be colours and product style as opposed to manufacturer.

I've always been wary about the though of buying second hand bikes... I dont like how I see alot of people treat their bikes and as such i'd have those thoughts in the back of my head the whole time i'm riding.

I'm a member of pinkbike which is the largest MTB forum. But it's international and predominantly Canadian members.

I bought my Marzocchi 66's off a guy on pinkbike, and it was a fine transaction and the forks have been awesome.

HTH

Legit knowledge right there.

I'll add that the recon shocks are pretty nice actually(I have them on my xc bike) I certainly have no problems with them.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:11 - 17 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an 08 Giant Regin 0 for a smidge under £1000 second hand.

Well recommended - 6' of suspension travel, but lighter than a lot of hardtails. Climbs really well with the 'propedal' on and handles down-hill very nicely.

Definitely a fair bit more bike for the money than you'd get new.

https://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/563894_10151064652080689_400384874_n.jpg

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 20:16 - 17 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:

HTH

Seems to be an old reviews

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-91-2013-id_8213074.html#anchor_ComponentProductAdvantages

this one has X7 drive train and Avid brakes.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:27 - 17 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I should add that I have had the original Boardman FS Comp (two of, replaced with the same model when it got nicked) - very happy with the bike. Both cost me around £500 in brand new (on bike to work scheme) or barely used nick. Good thing with Halfords bikes is a lot are got and not touched much.

Very happy with them for the price and decent bikes - it was what convinced me that Full Sus was the way to go and happy enough to get the same again when the first got nicked.

However, the Giant Reign 0 certainly elevated the same principal a level above - better down hill, as good up hill and even lighter.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 17 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Seems to be an old reviews

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-91-2013-id_8213074.html#anchor_ComponentProductAdvantages

this one has X7 drive train and Avid brakes.

The playing fields is kinda levelled then I guess.

I think i'd still go for the Boardman, based on my comments about manufacture popularity. Plus it has 130mm front and rear and the Rockrider has 120... 10mm could mean all the difference Wink (I'm used to 180mm)

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 17 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want more for your money stop looking at new (2012/2013) bikes and look for some old stock 2010/12 bikes. YOU won't notice the difference, or will most people, apart from the huge discount.

Don't make do with a size which is "close enough though".

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:23 - 17 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, if you're stuck with new, I'd certainly consider something like these:
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-sensor-2-2012/
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=78917

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 17 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to riding older stuff. Dunno why I didn't mention that.

I'm rolling on an 07 frame and its as good as any really.

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:42 - 17 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple of questions no one has asked

how big are you ? makes a difference to what forks and to some extent what rims / hubs i would look for / reccomend

What is your eventual goal with your riding ? makes a difference as to wether or not i personally would reccomend you on to a full sus or an all mountain style hard tail.

If you want to stick to fairly light cross country the most sorted short travel full sus would probably be the way to go. if you want to go from light cross country to all mountain / trail centre riding then i personally think you should look at a big travel hard tail with an adjustable fork.

now heres some advice i tried to give someone else but i seemed to get flamed a bit for it so ill re word it.

I would not buy a boardman especially the one you looked at one of my customers who after riding with him he has been nicknamed boring paul has snapped 3 frames .... he is neither big nor gnarly.

If you are 6" plus i could do you a good deal on a giant talon 29er in a large as we have one we didnt want to order.

retail at £999 and i could do about 15% off a 2013 model.

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:27 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am six foot one and between fifteen and a half stone and sixteen stone. Will be starting out doing a bit of cross country / forest / trail riding, Trough of Bowland, Guisburn, Rivington, Healey Nab nothing really ballsy 'til my fitness, confidence and skills improve.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:03 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyB1989 wrote:
I would not buy a boardman especially the one you looked at one of my customers who after riding with him he has been nicknamed boring paul has snapped 3 frames .... he is neither big nor gnarly.

But then Kona's are meant to snap after dropping off a curb according to anybody who doesn't ride one (Tis what I have found as a Kona-owner(Lol poetry right there)), but I've taken mine off the 5 meter drop in the Leogang slopestyle park in Austria and it's still in one piece... (I'd like to think it's riding technique eh Wink )

Obviously everyone has different experiences with different bikes though, and I cant speak for the performance or integrity of the Boardman from experience.

AndyB1989 wrote:
how big are you ? makes a difference to what forks

Not entirely sure why you say that?? Maybe spring weights would be changed/adjusted, but for a beginner (No offence intended with that title Joncrete) I wouldn't have thought a completely different fork would be needed...
I mean; when I started out I changed the softness of my fork/shock, but a different unit altogether? I not necessary surely?

I'm not saying you're wrong btw; I just don't see the necessity...
Tbf, you're more likely the ideal person to talk to, since from your post I gather you own/work in a bike shop...
Why would a different fork be of consideration?
Joncrete wrote:
Gisburn

I met a group of lads in Austria who ride in Gisburn forest... You haven't heard of the CyckeJunkies forum have you? As the main group from that site are all based up round that way. Maybe get on there and see if you can get riding with them.[/quote]

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:16 - 19 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

reasons for a different fork ..

A basic fork on a cheaper bike wont have the option of replacing for a harder spring obviously we are now talking about a £1000 bike so are away from the basic fork but

My current bike is a scott voltage fr30 (well one of them) and it has a coil sprung rockshock domain and even with an extra firm spring i blow through the full travel on a relatively easy dual slalom course

but thats because im 23 stone (ex rugby player).

also makes a difference for rear shocks most air shocks have a max psi of 300 and the pressure you need in it will vary bike to bike depending on leverage ratios of the suspension and a coil shock you can almost always find a coil from one manufacturer or another that will fit and give you the desired spring weight regardless of what the bike comes with.

but at 16 stone while you would be probably considered heavy for a cyclist you arent massive and will probably have no problem with most bikes on the market in the price point you are looking at.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1