BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kwak Kwak ER5

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:35 - 01 Jun 2004    Post subject: Kwak Kwak ER5 Reply with quote

Hi, for my next bike i've now decided to get an ER5 or something similar (suzuki gs500), mainly because they are cheap to run, reliable, quite quick, comfortable and cheap to insure especially for me only being 17. The insurance is half for what it would cost for a rvf/vfr 400 which i was going to get in the first place but can't afford now.

Any one had any experience with an ER5 and can give me some feedback on them. I notice they go cheap on ebay so will most probably get one from there. How quick are they, can anyone provide me with a 0-60 time if possible and top speed, no too bothered about speed really but just curious. Also noticed you can get a motad stainless steel exhaust and KnN air filter for them, do these make much difference to performance, i know the motad pipe looks much better.

Thanks for your time.

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

daveiw
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:04 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very nearly bought one, I liked the bike and was very comfy, I've heard they are reliable, cheap to run and insure like the gs, hence why they get used for lessons. I did change my mind at the last minuite and bought a bandit 600, because the insurance wasn't much more for me (but i'm 29, so that helps) personally I think you've made a good choice, but i'm quite new to this game my self so keep reading as there seems to be some knowlegable dudes here Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 06 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 1998 ER-5, it was one of the worst decisions I ever made, I originally wanted a GS500E but was unable to find one within my price range so I settled for a little bit cheap ER-5.

In the few months I owned it, It had 4 Speedo Cables(They have a habit of snapping on ER-5's) 3 Batteries (Down to the 2 fecked rectifiers) As Before 2 Rectifiers, A new set of shocks so it would pass its first MOT, all this from a 3 year old 14000 mile bike.

It doesnt seems very reliable now does it, just check out preloved.co.uk under the reviews, I wasnt the only one having those problems.

To say the least I dont own the ER-5 any more, I now have a 14 year old GS500 which is a damn site better bike and it doesnt have the top heavy feel like the ER-5 did.
Plus the GS is slightly cheaper to insure Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 07 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Those are crap they only do 120 get an R1 instead"

I believe the GPZ500s has a similar/same engine with the added bonus of fairings (middle fairing on older ones).

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:07 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrchips wrote:
"Those are crap they only do 120 get an R1 instead"

I believe the GPZ500s has a similar/same engine with the added bonus of fairings (middle fairing on older ones).

Yes the ER5 uses the GPZ engine but is slightly de-tuned, having fairings is an added bonus especially for on motorway trips and bad weather but insurance is quite abit more expensive for the GPZ as it's a sports bike.

I've been looking at a 98' CB500, looks much better than the ER5 and is meant to be faster and more reliable. So i may go for the CB now plus the i don't see many 2nd hand parts for the ER5 but there seems to be loads for the CB and also i like the idea that i can get a race can for the CB but i haven't seen any for the ER5.

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 11 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a bike school which uses ER5's and ask them for a lesson? Laughing

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:33 - 18 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one. Got it about 6 weeks ago.

Reason for choice: used for transport, and will be used all year round.

Cheap to insure: £190 TPFT
Cheap to run.

0-60 from official figures is about 5.7sec I think. Faster than you will ride in everyday conditions. Quite nippy for its weight, but it hides this well in corners - it can be thrown around as quick as you can.

Good all rounder. Oh - you can also get a full Remus system (race\road system) for it Thumbs Up Wink

PM me any other questions.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 18 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn you Mark, got there before me! Razz

Well, I've had mine since September. I admit, I have had to replace a few bits, but its to be expected.

1998 R plate.

I have replaced:

Rear Shox.
Front Fork Seals.
Chain and Sprockets.
Oil and Filter.
Clutch cable.

It has just done 30,000miles and I have been riding it every day since I bought it. Yes, even in the snow! Its been dropped a few times and every time, its a quick dust off and off I go again.

I have to say that the finish isn't too superb, but no major rust issues.

I definitely liked it more than the GS500 and the CB500 was out of my price range.

I'm sure Mark will agree with me when I say go for it! You wont be disappointed.

Also, to put a good note to it, my boss is a retired motorcycle riding instructor and has ridden my bike. He says its easier to ride than his Ducati M600 Monster and would strongly consider one for his wife.

Hope you enjoy whatever you choose!

Happy riding!

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:49 - 22 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - as for the speed thing, a guy at work got a CB5 and the ER beats it everytime.

Also, a few reviews on the net agree that the ER is quicker than the CB.

And yes, the CB might be more reliable, but it is a Honda. However, an abused CB will still be unreliable in the long run. This isn't to say the ER isn't reliable - it is, just that the CB is a Honda! (hope you understand that!)

Also remember - you say you can find more spare parts for the Honda, but if you do need anything major done it's gonna cost ya, big time (the downside to Honda ownership).

Mark
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 310 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1