Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hyonsung gt125 comet

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 02:48 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Hyonsung gt125 comet Reply with quote

Does anyone know the top speed of this bike? It's a little expensive i think especially as I'm only planning on having it till i pass my test but was wondering if it was still capable of doing motorway speeds in case it takes me a little longer to get my licence than planned. Do you recommend a little CG for the time being?

Cheers all Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

syris
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:47 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry mate dunno this one, but before I got my suzuki marauder I checked out a hyosung 'aquilia' or something like that, it looked a bit like the yamaha dragster 125. It apparently does 65 - the same speed as my single cylinder. The only problem was that the bike had done under 1000 miles and the corrosion was awful, having said that it could just have been the owners fault, nice looking bike and £1k cheaper than the dragster. A little off topic I know but im sure its around 65 probably then if its a single cylinder.

syris
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:58 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just found out its a V-twin? Probably faster than 65. Looks a bit like a mini SV650, cool bike.

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:43 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's not a bad looking bike but I can't find it anywhere for less than about 2K which sucks. Looks good for a 125 though i think. Plus, it's not a 2 stroke (i am slightly anti 2 stroke). Think they've only been built in the last few years so it's not easy to get second hand ones. Think the only way to find out its top speed will be to take one for a test drive and burn the hell out of it! Twisted Evil I'll report back.

Still, think i'm just going to get a CG for the time being. Still got a couple of weeks till I do my CBT so there's loads of time before i get my licence. My dad told me my mum used to ride a CG and said it was a great bike to learn on, and to learn how to maintain.

But if anyone has a Hyonsung gt125 comet, and are looking to sell it, let me know.

Cheers all Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 12:53 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess around 65 TBH. You can't do motorways until you are on your full license anyway.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 12:56 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Hyosung RX125 - max speed out of that was 65mph.

As a learner you probably won't want to be going much faster than 65mph anyway, as you're not allowed on the motorway and 65mph on a dual carriageway is fine.

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:07 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Thumbs Up

Yeah, i don't plan to go faster than 65 anyway. It's just, if i can't afford a new bike straight away once i've passed my test, then i was wondering if i could still ride it on the motorway.

I know its slightly off topic but it does have something to do with learner legal bikes.

I've heard that the older CGs (pre 95) are faster than the more modern CGs. Read somewhere that the older ones can make 65-70 but the new ones max out at about 50. Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 13:31 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like crap to me, the new ones are definately faster than 50mph.

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:08 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cousin has a hyosung comet 125, they are nice looking bikes and look much bigger than a 125. Top speed is said to be 65mph but it can get to that anywhere but on a long straight he's seen 80mph out of it. There's a baffle at the end of the exhaust which makes the hole much smaller than it should be, maybe this is a restriction (make it slower / quieter or learner legal), it's welded in but he's going to try and remove it soon. In my opinion they are well built bike's, the build quality seems excellent, you get a petrol gauge (don't think you need it as the tank holds something silly like 16 litres), they are comfortable and easy to ride. The riding position is that similar to a SV650 so it's a good introduction into biking.

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:27 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been calling around a few garages in my area and the cheapest i could find one was for 2½K. Seems a bit steep to me, but that is for a brand new one. Probably get it in either black or red.

What would you guys suggest? Is it worth it?

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 16:29 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not.

TBH its not really worth spending much over £1k on a learner bike. Save the rest of the money for your test/a bigger bike.

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well buy a cheap CG125 and spend the rest on a test/further deposit.

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:38 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what i thought too. Does look better than a CG though and i don't know how long i'm likely to have it. 2½ just seems too much Shocked . I agree though. Better to spend the money on my test then waste it all on a learner bike. Maybe if i could find a second hand one i'd get it but not at that price. Plus, i know the missus would kill me!

CG methinks

Cheers for your opinions Thumbs Up

Ade067
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:10 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Comet 125 and I love it to be honest,it does look and feel MUCH bigger than a 125,I'm still running it in at the moment as its only done 700kms and the manual says 1000kms,on a decent flat road with little wind about I got 65 out of mine fairly easily,it was still pulling but I had to slow down because I came up to my turn off!

My bike 'only' cost me £1850 because my dealer done me a VERY special price as the 1st bike I bought off them turned out to be a bloody nightmare,it was a Vulcan Harrier 125(a cheapie Chinese CG copy) and just about every nut and bolt on the thing came loose plus it got through 5 or 6 rear light bulbs due to it vibrating so badly that it was shaking the filaments out of them,and a whole list of other things that I wasn't happy about,I was not a happy chappie and after taking the bike back for its 1st service I created so much fuss about it (as anyone would!) that they done me the deal on the Comet to keep me happy and I have to say its a brilliant bike,very comfortable to ride and it seems to be very well made...time will tell I guess but at least its way better than the other sack of crap!

If you intend to keep you're 125 for a few years then its worth getting something new,at least you know its been looked after...or not whatever the case maybe! I only really wanted a bike to get me to work and back but I have to say i'm getting bitten by the bike bug now and I may get something bigger after i've taken my test...we'll see! Smile

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a learner bike new. Worked out over £4000with the interest!!!!!!!!!!! for a NSR, took a 3 year finance option to pay it off and I still owe 6 months and I've sold it to my brother. I kept it for two and a half years, so I got my moneys worth I suppose.

It's nice to have a new bike, knowing it won't breakdown etc. It's nice to be the first owner etc. But for a 125 take it from me buy a used one Wink

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 02 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out some of the stuff on ebay, some great learner legal bikes on there, however some of the new ones can be a little overpriced.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9806&item=2480205749&rd=1

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9806&item=2480498897&rd=1

newer bikes often are slower. the fastest 125's are the pre 1982 bikes. they are unrestricted and make about 16bhp

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 04:16 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh...now i have another problem...

I was all up for getting a CG as I came around to your way of thinking and decided that 2K was too much. But then, i got to thinking, what about the missus...what if she had the bike afterwards and we kept it a while and didn't just sell it straight after i did my test.

The plot thickens... Confused

But i've seen a nice CG on ebay and there's a couple nice ones on Biketrader too. May have a butchers at them instead. Don't think i'd go for one of those "other" Honda types. Sure they're reliable and cheap but i just don't like the look of them. I'm a fussy bugger.Neutral

I will let you know the outcome when it eventually happens. I've still got another week at least to trawl my way through the internet and find the same thing 8 different times. I may also read some wonderfully translated french review on bikes from Google. Always a good time.
Quote:
My bike 'only' cost me £1850 because my dealer done me a VERY special price

Let me have his number...i'll say you sent me his way and i'd pass on his name to others. I'm quite good at blagging! If i could get it for around that, i would. No questions at all. Don't suppose you're not wanting yours anymore are ya? Wink

Ta Thumbs Up

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think an old CG would be a wise move. those things are indestructable and really hold their value. you could buy one, ride it for 2 years sell it and get your money back.

The honda copy's aren't exactly 'cool' or reputable, but they are decent bikes for very little money. The best/worst thing about them being that they dont hold their value when sold second hand. this means if you buy one from new your gonna lose a packet when you sell it. but if you buy one second hand you can get a great bike for next to nothing Smile

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:52 - 03 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to get a CG i think. The girlfriend situation keeps flitting between off and on and i'm thinking it's quite pointless now so a CG for me. Not planning on having it that long. Want to do an intensive DAS possibly before the summer is out. I'm old enough not to be silly though so it's alright. Plus i hate the length of time it takes if its not intensive. Driving lessons have been going on for what seems like years.

Then i can get my CBR600F! Yay! Twisted Evil Mr. Green Thumbs Up

braded
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:32 - 23 Nov 2004    Post subject: Update on the bike? Reply with quote

Hi There, What bike did you end up getting? Did you go for the CG?

I brought a used Hyosung Comet 125 last weekend to replace my Vespa ET4. What a difference!

malb
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:09 - 23 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does about 83mph flat out, and screaming its tits off! lol! Laughing

He she is!

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:08 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Re: Update on the bike? Reply with quote

braded wrote:
Hi There, What bike did you end up getting? Did you go for the CG?

I brought a used Hyosung Comet 125 last weekend to replace my Vespa ET4. What a difference!

If this was a question for me then I didn't get one. I bought a Sachs XTC and now, as I've passed my DAS, I've got a ZX6R

Still, sure the Comet is a good bike

braded
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:09 - 27 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mantzy

Yep, the question was for you. The Sachs XTC looks cool!

I get a lot of attention with the "L" plates attached to the Comet, especially at traffic lights when bigger bikers pull up along-side! I bet you got the same with yours
Laughing

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 03:05 - 28 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errr...L plates...yeah...ummm...mine "flew off" really!

Suppose having them in my rucksack doesn't count right officer?

Thankfully, as the bike looks bigger than 125 and no-one knows it I got away with it. Even when asking coppers for directions!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1