Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How do you bump start a bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

FlightRisk
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:24 - 14 Oct 2014    Post subject: How do you bump start a bike? Reply with quote

How do you bump start a bike (on your own)?
I've push started someone else's. Bloody big heavy thing it was too, it took two of us plus owner, felt like pushing a car.

I imagine you'd have to walk/run beside it?

Today my CB ate it's battery while I went to the shop and ended up being taken home in a van. Embarassed
I was thinking of trying to bump start it but I was having visions of it lurching from my grip and taking off in the direction of the car park. Confused

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 23:33 - 14 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if push starting and bump starting are the same thing. But if bump starts and push starts are the same thing then have someone push you while you're on the bike. I'm lucky because when I had to push-start my brother's CBF there was a little downhill so I had to do no running.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 14 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a CB500 twin should be easy. Easier if the battery is not completely dead.

Key in, ignition on (you'll kick yourself if the ignition is off!)

Anyway. Put it into 3rd.

Hold the clutch in. Push the bike until you're running full pelt.

Then in one fluid motion, let the clutch out, jump onto the seat to give it more traction, AND push the starter.

Then rev heavy to keep the engine alive.

(Doesn't work on FI bikes!, automatics and variomatic belt drives).

What will happen in practice is you will get tired, or the back wheel will lock (happens a lot in 2nd and 1st) and it may take several attempts.

If you do have a narfed battery and know it, park at the top of hills and do the same but let the hill do the work, clutch in clutch out. It should spin the engine for you when you let the clutch out.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Last edited by Itchy on 23:43 - 14 Oct 2014; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cheeseman
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:42 - 14 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on the tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jh2wIGTFLA

cheeseman
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:45 - 14 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should add, that if you have a Kawasaki, you might have trouble selecting a gear higher than 1st when stationary! Not sure how you'd get around this TBH

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 14 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add, once it starts clutch in else you may well er lurch and it'll die again and you'll get tired trying again.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FlightRisk
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:49 - 14 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Push the bike until you're running full pelt.

Then in one fluid motion, let the clutch out, jump onto the seat to give it more traction, AND push the starter.

Yep, that's what I was afraid of... that was not happening! Because that would have involved falling over.

I'm not sure it would have worked anyway, battery is now totally farked. Can it keep running with a farked battery?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 14 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

garethjv wrote:
Should add, that if you have a Kawasaki, you might have trouble selecting a gear higher than 1st when stationary! Not sure how you'd get around this TBH

Centre stand, spin the back wheel fast as you can by hand and jam it in to 2nd. Took me a while to figure that out on my zzr.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 14 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celt500 wrote:

Yep, that's what I was afraid of... that was not happening! Because that would have involved falling over.

I'm not sure it would have worked anyway, battery is now totally farked. Can it keep running with a farked battery?

You can simplify it just push it forward hard a few meters in 2nd, clutch in, once it's got some momentum clutch out and then back in as you hear it fire up.

That way works on light (ish) bikes with a bit of practice

You don't need to press the starter to bump a bike either.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celt500 wrote:

You can, the residual charge in the battery just makes it a tad easier as it spins the engine slightly.

My NTV had a battery die on me. I bump started it twice a day on a dead battery until pay day.

FlightRisk
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:32 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Celt500 wrote:

You can, the residual charge in the battery just makes it a tad easier as it spins the engine slightly.

My NTV had a battery die on me. I bump started it twice a day on a dead battery until pay day.

Cool. I might give it a go in the morning before I go buy a new battery and a multimeter.
I hear the electric fairies live inside the multimeter and if you bash one off the bike they fall out and into the bike and make all electic wurking - dis i hope Neutral

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:51 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it a go, I've bumped my GPZ500 in about 20' of car park.

Think of it this way: I kick started my 500cc Enfield this morning with the power of one leg. It doesn't take that much oomph to fire up a small to mid sized bike engine.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bumped mine a few times, it's very easy on a slight hill but never tried it on the flat. As mine is FI, as long as there's enough juice left to prime the injector then it will start ok.

cheeseman
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:35 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try to bump start my 1100 pan back in March this year when the alternator gave up and left me stranded in Boroughbridge. I had one unsuccessful attempt running down a slight hill while astride the thing and let out the clutch in 2nd, but I just came to a grinding halt. I was too chicken (and knackered) to try it again so after looking unsuccessfully around for anyone with jump leads who could jump start me I had to resort to the RAC. Sad

I wonder if it is ever possible to start a Pan by bump starting? It probably takes a bit of practice that I haven't the constitution to stomach.

The999Kid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

garethjv wrote:

I wonder if it is ever possible to start a Pan by bump starting? It probably takes a bit of practice that I haven't the constitution to stomach.

If it is, marmalade will know!
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter

Marmalade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The999Kid wrote:
garethjv wrote:

If it is, marmalade will know!

Yes. Piece of cake.*

Dont sit on it.
Ideally, remove top box first.
Neutral, ignition on and run with it.
When you are moving a bit, jump on, either leg over or sidesaddle, clutch in and knock it into second, dump clutch.

That said, if the alternator is screwed, it'll likely breakdown in a few miles so if you do get it started, just ride to a petrol station etc where you can get food and drink while you wait 3 hours for the AA.

Witnessed by 'wotsthestory'
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see this done in our car park, wet floor and he had it done in about 10-15 feet. His bike was warm, think it would've been more difficult cold. Nevertheless, it was easy. He'd done it before I was able to offer help!

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run alongside my Hornet, push it along in 2nd and drop the clutch - quickly pull it in once it starts. I didn't jump on. Worked every time I needed to in the 4 years of ownership.

Clutchy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

(Doesn't work on FI bikes!

How do you mean? As in no FI bike can be bump started???? Bounce!

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have managed to bump start my Thundercat by paddling along from the saddle and dropping the clutch in 1st. Admittedly this was when the engine had only recently stalled, not from a dead cold start. I didn't have much room to work with so thought I'd give it a shot.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:45 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutchy wrote:

How do you mean? As in no FI bike can be bump started???? Bounce!

Carbs are pretty much mechanical.

A Fuel injector is a solenoid valve. To open and close it you need some juice to open and close the solenoid, not much but you still need some. So a almost dead battery is ok as it is not totally dead and has a tiny bit of charge.

A totally flat battery means there is nothing to open and close the solenoid valve meaning while you can force the engine to turn over a lot of the time because you can't get fuel into the cylinder it doesn't fire.

Stinkwheel's buddy came up with a ridiculous problem KTM kickstarts have. You can't kick start older KTMs if the battery is flat.

He wired a 9volt battery connector to the loom and carried a 9volt battery under the seat.

rideslikean00...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:48 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried rolling my XJ-6 down a hill when I killed the battery leaving the parking light setting on for 9 hours while it was sat up at work. Wouldn't start, as far as I know the injectors fired but the starter is electric and it can't be rolled.

I often wonder if you can cheat and put a bike on centre stand, spin the back wheel by hand at speed, do the little clutch/2nd or 3rd gear thing and get it running that way, save pushing potentially a big bike up the top of an incline to roll it down. 100 feet up a ten degree one at work (the car park is down a slope) was bloody difficult with a 200+ kg bike.

FlightRisk
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:58 - 15 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

rideslikean00b wrote:

I often wonder if you can cheat and put a bike on centre stand, spin the back wheel by hand at speed, do the little clutch/2nd or 3rd gear thing and get it running that way, save pushing potentially a big bike up the top of an incline to roll it down.

Having push started that blokes bloody great big BMW one time, I'd say the engine compression would instantly defeat you.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1