Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which kind of bike..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

digger1985
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:12 - 07 Jan 2013    Post subject: Which kind of bike.. Reply with quote

Following a shed fire and a theft, I now find myself without a bike and I'm really missing it. I want to buy a new bike and was just after some help on what kind to get.
I will primarily be using the bike for commuting (road or canal towpath depending on my mood) but will also use it for fitness/recreation (road and a bit of off road, but probably more road). I've always had mountain bikes but not sure if I should be looking for a hybrid? Any benefits of the hybrid other than the faster road speeds? Or should I go for a mountain bike for the versatility? Not really built for road bikes, and I'm not careful enough with bikes for a road bike to last too long (always bumping up and down curbs etc).
Thanks in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jambon
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:46 - 08 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cyclo-cross bike could be a solution?

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:15 - 08 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

really it depends on the off road that you want to do. would you describe yourself as a fair weather cyclist or do you enjoy going out and getting muddy ?

an "agressive hybrid" is a good solution have a look at the
scott sportster
giant roam
merida crossway
dawes discovery xo range

obviously there are more these are just the ones im most familiar with / we stock in my bike shop

the hybrid will have the advantage of bigger wheels so faster rolling on the road , higher gearing , generally slightly more upright riding position but downsides of a lack of mud clearance a skinnier tyre so less grip in the loose a longer wheelbase so less capable in twisty bits.

so if you want to do more involved offroad and go out in the wet and muddy conditions and find some fun singletrack then go for a mtb.
i would say if you are close to or over 6ft look at 29ers
giant revel 29er is good value for money at 449 benefits of a 29er are its a mountainbike with massive wheels so same gearing as a normal mtb but faster rolling easier on climbs not quite as "nimble" but better at rolling over obstacles on the route like logs , roots , branches , rocks etc

if you have any questions about specific bikes drop me a pm

hope this helps

digger1985
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:52 - 08 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyB1989 wrote:
really it depends on the off road that you want to do. would you describe yourself as a fair weather cyclist or do you enjoy going out and getting muddy ?

an "agressive hybrid" is a good solution have a look at the
scott sportster
giant roam
merida crossway
dawes discovery xo range

obviously there are more these are just the ones im most familiar with / we stock in my bike shop

the hybrid will have the advantage of bigger wheels so faster rolling on the road , higher gearing , generally slightly more upright riding position but downsides of a lack of mud clearance a skinnier tyre so less grip in the loose a longer wheelbase so less capable in twisty bits.

so if you want to do more involved offroad and go out in the wet and muddy conditions and find some fun singletrack then go for a mtb.
i would say if you are close to or over 6ft look at 29ers
giant revel 29er is good value for money at 449 benefits of a 29er are its a mountainbike with massive wheels so same gearing as a normal mtb but faster rolling easier on climbs not quite as "nimble" but better at rolling over obstacles on the route like logs , roots , branches , rocks etc

if you have any questions about specific bikes drop me a pm

hope this helps

Thanks alot guys - I'm not really a fair weather rider, love getting a bit muddy! I'd been looking at the 29ers and the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2013 (bit of a mouthful) had caught my eye. I'll have a look into Giant bike you mention though. I owned a Specialized before (the one that got burned down) and it lasted me about 10 years and was a great bike to ride - are the Giants similarly bulle proof?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:10 - 08 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

the giant revel 29er 0 is very similar spec to the specialized same fork same brakes same drivetrain and very similar geometry,

If you can find anyone with a 2013 giant talon 29er at a good price they they are worth snapping up the frame quality on last years talon 29er FAR surpassed its retail price so if you can get one at a discount do it and upgrade the drivetrain as you go.

also worth looking at marin's 2013 range they have priced themselves much more competetively this year and also look at merida but i doont think you will find a merida at that £500 ish price point.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:53 - 11 Jan 2013    Post subject: Re: Which kind of bike.. Reply with quote

After getting a 700c non-suspension hybrid, I liked it enough to get another better one. Did have a proper bouncy mountain bike for the dirty stuff.
Unfortunately the original which I was using for general shopping has now been stolen.

I think I would prefer a 'proper' road bike for distance stuff, rather than my hybrid which now more resembles a tri bike on the bars (aero bars + bar ends).

If I ever have the money (and perhaps live in a less scum-home place), I will consider a Specialized Tricross which is supposed to be a pretty good 'do it all' bike (including light off road thanks to the cyclocross part), and relegate the Charge Scourer to the 'town bike'.

digger1985
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:55 - 11 Jan 2013    Post subject: Re: Which kind of bike.. Reply with quote

G wrote:
After getting a 700c non-suspension hybrid, I liked it enough to get another better one. Did have a proper bouncy mountain bike for the dirty stuff.
Unfortunately the original which I was using for general shopping has now been stolen.

I think I would prefer a 'proper' road bike for distance stuff, rather than my hybrid which now more resembles a tri bike on the bars (aero bars + bar ends).

If I ever have the money (and perhaps live in a less scum-home place), I will consider a Specialized Tricross which is supposed to be a pretty good 'do it all' bike (including light off road thanks to the cyclocross part), and relegate the Charge Scourer to the 'town bike'.

My uncle is awaiting delivery of the Tricross - he got it on the Bike to Work scheme - so I'm looking forward to seeing what that is like. Just never really fancied/got on with drop bars.

I think my riding style sort of dictates I get a hardtail MTB (29er) as a bit of a jack of all trades - I'm able to do a bit of off roading but will be fine on the roads (if a little bit slower than other bikes). I could always get a spare pair of wheels with road tyres on too.

The guy in my local bike shop was showing me the dual purpose tyres aswell, they have a smoother centre contact for roads and the nobbly bits on the side for the off roading, they seemed pretty useful.

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:49 - 12 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

spare set of wheels isnt as easy as it sounds just pointing out chains and casettes wear into each other so you would need to swap the casette over each time you want to swap wheels over.

digger1985
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:37 - 12 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in that case would you say that the dual purpose tyres would be a better option Andy? Do you have any experience with them? Or should I just try the stock tyres for a bit, how much slower would they actually be compare to a road tyre?

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:28 - 12 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say a good quality xc tyre would be what you are after maybe a shwalbe nobby nick for the current conditions and a rapid rob in the summer obviously theres loads of tyre choices out there have to say ive been very impressed with the current shwalbe options also the continental rubber queens.

dont go for a dual purporse / semi slick as they are next to useless off road.

Spudda
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 02:15 - 13 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW Ive got these on mine https://www.decathlon.co.uk/26x20-saguaro-rigid-bead-red-id_8210820.html

Worked well on a muddy off road trail the last 3 times Ive been out and I havent had an issue on the road to and from

You can also fit them for traction or turn the tread around for road
Triumph Daytona 650 Union Jack Nose Cone.Metzeler M5's.Carbon Bling.ASV Levers.LED Adapted Rear.LED Adapted Indicators.RIM Tape.PiperCross Filter. Smoked Aero Screen.Harris Hanger.Carbon Wrap.Renthal Sprockets.Coded Chain Guard.Shortened Carbon Can
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

digger1985
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:01 - 15 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I made my mind up - I ordered the Specialized Hardrock 29er the other day, so should hopefully get it in a week or so. Ordered it from Tredz.com as they do 0% finance and also got a tenner off! Also my local shop couldnt get them in for a month and Im impatient! Thanks for your help guys!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1