Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Superstar Tech 2 evo XC or AM?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 08 Jan 2013    Post subject: Superstar Tech 2 evo XC or AM? Reply with quote

Hi,

Want a new set of wheels for my Mountain bike but not sure which ones to get. I do most of my riding over Cannock Chase at the moment (Monkey and Dog) and am slowly upgrading all of the components on the bike. I know I technically do XC riding (100 mm travel bike) but will eventually re-frame the bike into a hardcore hardtail. There is a 100 gram difference between XC and AM wheelsets. Will it be that huge of a difference if I future-proof and get the AM set?

The AM set comes in at 1950 grams for the two wheels and the XC at 1850 grams. I like the idea of the extra strength and as I say, I'd like to be upgrading to an On One evo frame at some point.

Thanks for the input,

Harry
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:29 - 08 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to do something other then ride across a playing field and dont want them to be shit dont buy superstar wheels.

Piss poor quality control one set might be fantastic but for every mediocre set ive seen ive seen 5 truly awfull sets.

really poor quality bearings too.

If you want a future proof set of wheels with a cast iron warranty and epic build quality go for hope hubs and rims of your choice on the subject of future proofing make sure you go tubeless or atleast tubeless ready.

those superstar wheels claim they have the same engagement as hope ... that is a load of horse shit really.

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 08 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive heard nothing but fantastic reviews about them so far....

I'd love to go the Hope route, but I don't have much cash at the minute due to my girlfriend being out of full time work until next year.

I have Alexrims at the moment with cup and cone bearing which won't stay in true.
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 08 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now iv'e looked into it i have found some negative comments on the builds but they do have a two year warranty. At this proce bracket I'm almost tempted to get them and take my time/get my LBS to check spoke tension etc..

They are only £100 ish

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:25 - 09 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoke tension isnt the issue so much its more the rims are made of monkey metal and the hubs are poorly made they might offer a 2 year warranty but ultimately they decide if its a warranty issue or not and from what i gather they dont make it easy.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 101 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1