Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wanna book a MTB trip

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 10 Jan 2013    Post subject: Wanna book a MTB trip Reply with quote

I just calculated what a 4 night trip to Glentress would cost:
B+B = £30p/n x 4 = £120
Car hire = £36p/d x 6 = £216
Fuel = 1000miles @ 30mpg @ £1.40p/l = £212
Food + Misc = £15p/d x 6 = £90
Total = £638

Is it me or is it a bit much money to consider doing?
Is there anywhere else anyone can recommend that may be closer/cheaper?
How does anybody else do it?

This is for me going on my own, which is why it is so much.
If I went with a mate with a car then I could at least nearly halve it.

I want to explore more of the UK's trails.
I've been to Les Gets, Leogang and Winterberg where they have Ski-lifts and 2km long DH courses. But I haven't given the UK a chance to prove itself.

Would anybody be up for joining me on a trip?! (Just on the offchance) I haven't got a date set. This is just preliminary research.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:48 - 10 Jan 2013    Post subject: Re: Wanna book a MTB trip Reply with quote

North Wales the other obvious one.

Get some panniers and a tent, as well as maybe some spare road tyres - and you've got a hell of a lot of spare cash on food Smile.

Ok, maybe consider a train to near your destination.

Do want to do some decent mountain biking this year, but can't commit to anything yet.

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 10 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can knock £100 off fuel if you hire a compact not a jag. Or the train would be about £250 to Edinburgh then use these.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=edingburgh%20to%20glentress&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CEAQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bikebusglentress.co.uk%2F&ei=nwHvUM3hO-qp0AWDsYDQCw&usg=AFQjCNFb2pglF2Wo_5o01sT_D0_Wft44cw&bvm=bv.1357700187,d.d2k

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:03 - 10 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a bus - get one of those cases that you can put a bike in.
Should be a lot cheaper than £250 for a train.

Rigga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 10 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalby forest is pretty awesome and there's all the local trails around the north Yorkshire moors too. You can stop in Thornton Le dale just down the road which is a haven for mtbers and motorbikers.

Beautiful part of the world, whereabouts are you?

Rigga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 10 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalby forest is pretty awesome and there's all the local trails around the north Yorkshire moors too. You can stop in Thornton Le dale just down the road which is a haven for mtbers and motorbikers.

Rigga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 10 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaaaaarrrrgggggghhhhhh!

Why the fuck does my phone always double post??

herulach
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 10 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your car costs are about £200 out. Last month I did 965 miles round scotland in a rented 320d touring - total cost £235. Could have knocked some off that if work wasn't paying and I went in an econobox.

If you want downhill you'll probably be dissapointed with glentress, although you may enjoy innerleithen.

You don't say where you are, but if its 1k to glentress its probably only 500miles to wharncliffe near sheffield. If its good enough for steve peat its more than enough for you Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:47 - 10 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and; make a bracket to hold your mountain bike on the back of your motorbike? Been done before and not TOO bad if you take the wheels off.

Rigga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 10 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

herulach wrote:
Your car costs are about £200 out. Last month I did 965 miles round scotland in a rented 320d touring - total cost £235. Could have knocked some off that if work wasn't paying and I went in an econobox.

If you want downhill you'll probably be dissapointed with glentress, although you may enjoy innerleithen.

You don't say where you are, but if its 1k to glentress its probably only 500miles to wharncliffe near sheffield. If its good enough for steve peat its more than enough for you Wink

Wharncliffe is good but very easy to get lost and the best bits aren't signposted

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 10 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
North Wales the other obvious one.

Get some panniers and a tent, as well as maybe some spare road tyres - and you've got a hell of a lot of spare cash on food Smile

It would take me 4 nights to get there!! hehe

Yeah I would like to go N. Wales too. I just chose Glentress as a location to get a quick price idea.
I'd like to go to Cwmcarn and Llandegla as videos show promising trails!

flat spot wrote:
You can knock £100 off fuel if you hire a compact not a jag. Or the train would be about £250 to Edinburgh then use these.

I'm 21, so hire companies are very limited. The only company anywhere near me that will let out to a 21 year old does a Fiesta for £36 a day. I did 30mpg as a low datum as I want to work out the worst possible price. I know driving sensibly it'd be cheaper but I would rather budget too much money, than too little. Same goes for the milage. It's 370ish miles one way. So times that by 2 for the return journey and add on a generous amount for contingency.

I did consider a train, and prices for an Anytime Off-peak return are £200 (At the moment). I could easily search for deals and get it cheaper. And i'm also able to get a 16 - 25 rail card so I could get a further third off (The card costs £26 but i'd be able to use if for the whole year, where i'd save more money to pay it back).
However since I havent a clue when i'll go (Could be in a months time or a year's time - this is preliminary research!) then I cant bank on there being good deals at the time of booking, and obviously rates change.

G wrote:
What about a bus

Looking at National Express, the most expensive combination of Outbound + Return journey looks to be less than £50 so that's more promising than a train. Only i'd have to add on £10ish for travel to where the bus leave's from.

Rigga wrote:

I hadn't counted out northern England. In fact I met a bunch of people in Austria who live up in the South Yorks area who I could possibly contact for accommodation/riding buddies.

I'm from around Cambridge/N.London. (My mum lives in Cambs, my Dad lives in N.London and I currently reside in Hatfield at uni)

I wont be leaving from Hatfield, cause i'm relatively sure I will have finished uni by the time this trip comes to fruition.

I will be working in and around London in summer-time, so I feel that's where i will be when I book/leave/return.

However, my dads tiny terraced house in N.London is unlikely to accommodate my mountain bike. It's cramped as it is (without me living there!) so my bike might have to live in Cambs.

So lots of variables for me to consider. I'm doing all the prices from London at the moment just to give me the largest likely price to budget for.

I ride at Chicksands in Bedfordshire every now and then, but with no car; I dont all that often.
I know there is Aston Hill the other side of Hemel that I could eeeeeasily get to. But remember, i'm researching for a MTB trip/holiday. Chicks and Aston can be done on a weekend where accommodation is not a problem, and travel with a friend/parent can be organised.

I'm just trying to explore the countries offerings, and I wanna go "further afield" just to give it the adventure holiday aspect.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 10 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

herulach wrote:

Who from/how long did you hire? That's pretty good! I do want the freedom of having a car on the trip, but I could easily survive using public transport and my bike.

Are Glentress and Innerleithen far apart? I was under the impression they were kind of the same place?

And Sheffield is much closer! So another possibility!

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 10 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Oh and; make a bracket to hold your mountain bike on the back of your motorbike? Been done before and not TOO bad if you take the wheels off.

You may recall me looking into it aaaages ago: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=236464

I'd struggle with mounting on the B4, but as a Studying engineer, i'm sure I could work something out pretty easily!

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:36 - 11 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

make friends with people in your LBS i know my colleague uses his van as a "trail taxi" he recently did a trip up to the peak district then on to glentress 6 people 6 bikes in his vw transporter so fuel and everything split between the 5 others and he gets a very cheap few days riding.

also have people regularly going to cwmcarn and various other trail centres around the country.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1