Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MTB Suspension Forks

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Spudda
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 11 Jan 2013    Post subject: MTB Suspension Forks Reply with quote

I've just had my Mountain Bike Serviced .... £25 which included a service on the gears, chain, steering, brakes and suspension ( hard tail - front forks only ) and its made a World of difference ( from what I can make out over a mile of road riding )gear change now works through the cogs, new cables, crud taken out of the forks, new brake pads for the discs ... all in all good value for what they did and the advice was second to non

I'm now looking to upgrade the bike with new forks .... they're going from anything form £70 to £120 for the ones I want .... now from my pocket, that seems a lot of dosh. Some of the bluechip brands like Fox are going for £200 second hand, something I couldnt justify

Ok, I'm only cross country/green laneing riding with the odd 3ft drop off but I'm out at least 3 days a week and then have a burn over Cannock on the monkey and dog https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE_6vm7MJKA
Is it the January fat club trying to impress themselves or are these the prices I can expect?
Triumph Daytona 650 Union Jack Nose Cone.Metzeler M5's.Carbon Bling.ASV Levers.LED Adapted Rear.LED Adapted Indicators.RIM Tape.PiperCross Filter. Smoked Aero Screen.Harris Hanger.Carbon Wrap.Renthal Sprockets.Coded Chain Guard.Shortened Carbon Can

Last edited by Spudda on 17:35 - 11 Jan 2013; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:30 - 11 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a pair similar to these from the same seller, then made a world off difference.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RockShox-Recon-Silver-TK-Suspension-Forks-INC-POPLOC-80mm-Travel-/271054445976?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3f1c1a9d98

What bike is it and what forks are on there ATM?

chris-red

PostPosted: 17:34 - 11 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is too much these are a bargin.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=85071

Spudda
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 11 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

https://www.bikes2udirect.com/B2080.html?id=7mQSXgNa
not the most sophisticated bike in the world but fits my purpose

the forks arent the best and even more so now that a load of watery grit bypassed the seals and theyre grinding

They still rebound but drag a load of fine sand / grit
Im sure theyre salvageable with new seals and oil
Triumph Daytona 650 Union Jack Nose Cone.Metzeler M5's.Carbon Bling.ASV Levers.LED Adapted Rear.LED Adapted Indicators.RIM Tape.PiperCross Filter. Smoked Aero Screen.Harris Hanger.Carbon Wrap.Renthal Sprockets.Coded Chain Guard.Shortened Carbon Can
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:16 - 15 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spudda wrote:
chris-red wrote:

https://www.bikes2udirect.com/B2080.html?id=7mQSXgNa
not the most sophisticated bike in the world but fits my purpose

the forks arent the best and even more so now that a load of watery grit bypassed the seals and theyre grinding

They still rebound but drag a load of fine sand / grit
Im sure theyre salvageable with new seals and oil

The problem that I found was that servicing the forks cost about £100 which is far more than they are worth. Hence why I bought some new ones.

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 15 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a set of second hand Marzocchi Bomber MX Comp Air forks for my GT (I also ride over Cannock dog and monkey)and highly recommend them. Much better than the rockshox xc28 forks from chainreaction for roughly the same price. They are bullet proof forks and servicing is really easy. Best upgrade ive done on my bike!
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Re: MTB Suspension Forks Reply with quote

Spudda wrote:
I've just had my Mountain Bike Serviced .... £25 which included a service on the gears, chain, steering, brakes and suspension ( hard tail - front forks only )

Where was that? Shocked

Spudda
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was done at Decathlon https://www.decathlon.co.uk/
My local one being Jnc9 M6 Wednesbury but they have a few around the Country

Whether or not they all have a service centre or not, I'm not sure

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 18 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must live right by me (Darlaston) if j9 Decathlon is your local. £25 is a good price but i had a bad experience with them a few months back. I needed to change my cassette and didn't have a chain whip at the time so i took it there for them to do. It took 4 guys over an hour to do because none of them knew how to actually use the chain whip and in the end i had to do it myself with their tools! Since then ive took mine to wardy's (although now i stumped up the money and just brought the cycle specific tools) and they were always OK.

Once ive got my GT back together if you're ever stuck for a riding partner give me a shout and we can hit Cannock if you like. Much more enjoyable than on your own!

Harry
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Thumbs Up

I'm based down by Halesowen, not that far away at all. Been looking for somewhere that was reasonable. Most of it I'm comfortable doing myself but I wouldn't mind paying to get my Tora front end overhauled.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 26 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you guy's get your bikes up to Cannock?
I'm guessing you drive and have a cycle rack on the car?

I'm not far from Halesowen, but i only ride local route's or places where i can get to with my bike on the train. I've had some good ride's around the Malvern's on my MTB and also been around Sutton Park a few times, which has some nice trails.

I'm hoping to get down to the forest of dean in the spring for a day's riding, probably on a weekday, but getting to places is hard without a car, so that's why i've never yet been to cannock?

Does anyone know if a mountain bike would go in the back of a car like a Rover 200 coupe, which has a decent boot, but no hatchback?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 01 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i shove the rack on the back of the car but i used to just shove a tarpaulin in the back of my clio, drop the seats and take the front wheel off. I would imagine as long as you can drop the seats in the rover you will be fine.

You will have to let me know what the Forrest of Dean is like. I've stuck to cannock so far as its very local. I know Cannock its regarded as one of the best facilities around here and I defiantly rate it. Ive not got bored yet anyway! There is also a downhill track half way around the 'monkey' if that floats your boat.

You could always get a train to Rugley and cycle to the trails?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1