a few Q's

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Reano
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 03:57 - 05 Jun 2004    Post subject: a few Q's Reply with quote

hi all.
i drove to hereford on that lil honda city express from my town ross-on-wye today, to pick up my peugeot xr6, anyways, to the point....
i had the bike de-restricted (i recall the bloke at the shop saying that he's removed 1 restriction of 3 out of the bike), i just wanted to clear up about if im still legal/illegal whatever......also, i know i got to notify my insurance about this, does this mean my insurance will go up?? and if so...can any of you guys gimmie a rough estimate of how much it will rise? (my insurance was about £700 originally, if that helps).
any more help would be very much appreciated.

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:36 - 05 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are you? If you are 16 then you shouldn't de-restrict it, if you do then you shouldn't tell them as you shouldn't be on a de-restricted bike at 16.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Slavo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:44 - 05 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only people that can tell you how much your insurance will go up, is your insurance company. It doesn't hurt to ask them Wink

They can't raise your premiums for enquiring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 06 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously you are no longer legal. If you tell the insurance company its de-restricted, they wont insure you. If you don't tell them and get the insurance, your insurance is not valid so if your in an accident, quite frankly, your screwed.
Hope it helps Thumbs Up

My Derbi Senda 50 was already de-restricted when i bought it from the Derbi dealership and i didn't tell the insurance company, i was fine for my first year (i even put a high performance exhaust on it which was very loud). Just don't speed and you wont have a problem. If you do get pulled, play innocent.

Reano
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:09 - 06 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys Thumbs Up i got another question tho......
i'll be driving to worcester tomorrow on my bike, and ive actually just returned from a night-ride (streets and duel-carriageways are virtually dead this time Razz) i just like to know.......my bike does about 60mph flat out, and because the roads i normally am on are long.......is it ok to run at full speed for long periods? or...is that a bad thing?, i notice the rev meter is on about 10 to 11k revs (10 to 12k revs is in the red) id just like to know....
thanks again!
and btw, yea, im 16.

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:30 - 06 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, its already de-restricted if it does 60mph. As for long journeys flat out, I wouldn't advise it, espicially if your bike is almost new as you will kill the engine. I would plan a route on Twisty A roads and B roads. Its more fun anyway and not being flat out all the time will do your engine a lot of good. Its also dull doing flat out on a big road on a little bike anyway.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 03:20 - 06 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the age of 16 the limit is not engine bigger than 50cc, and not able to do more than 30mph, so yes it is illegal, and if you get pulled by the police at 60mph and they look at your license and realise you're 16 they'll start wondering.

Telling your insurance company has two different sides to it. I mean, you're asking them to insure you on a machine which you're not licensed to ride legally, so offically you're not insured, so that would be another offence if you got caught and had told your insurance company. However, you could always try and claim ignorance in the event of a claim, saying how it was like that when you got it, and you havn't modified it at all, and how were you to know that some internal bits had been changed etc. I'm not suggesting that you do this, I'm just pointing out what your different options in this situation are. You can legally be deresticted at the age of 17 and at that point I'd inform the insurance company just for the sake of being legal, I don't think they'll charge that much more, if any more, as you'll be 1 year older, and have 1 years no claims discount to your name Very Happy.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 321 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1