Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Paddock-Stands From Germany - 'Customs charges'?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:01 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Paddock-Stands From Germany - 'Customs charges'? Reply with quote

I'm looking at an e-bay add for a pair of paddock-stands from ricambi-weiss-com
Any-One used them? Got any comments?
Add Says:-
Quote:
International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges.

I'm of that 'if it looks too good to be true' mind, at the minute. Pair Price is £80, which is about UK price for the swan-neck front stand, on its own from UK retailers, and co-incidentally.... about the same as VAT.... This going to get stopped at the border pending a demand for VAT or something?
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:03 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

No charges from within the EU.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LockyUK
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:19 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
No charges from within the EU.


spot on
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Codemonkey
Crazy Courier



Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:23 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've got one of their wheel balancers. Seems well made and arrived promptly (ordered from eBay I think). Didn't get stung for any extra charges.
____________________
Test Passed 10/05/2011 Current bike: XJ6-N
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:38 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ That's what I was looking for
Joe wrote:
No charges from within the EU.

This isn't 'quite' true; they cant charge import tarrifs over internal EU borders, PROVIDED that the 'local' duties have been paid. Ie you buy 'retail'. Buy something 'trade' then they may not charge 'you' the local taxes, but then you have to pay them at the UK border. Hence the question; because that could have been the 'scam'.
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

LockyUK
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:43 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

because it is for export to the EU don't the retailers / etailers have to pay local duty, only on export outside the eu is vat and/or equivalent waived ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shinigami
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:46 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just ordered a screen from germany so hoping I don't get stung for this aswell. Didn't really think about it as not had any charges ordering stuff before.

Ordered from germany as it was £50 as opposed to the £80 uk retailers are charging for the same screen
____________________
Current: Honda City Fly CLR125 2003 Honda CB600F Hornet 2008 Yamaha FZ6 S2 + 1991 Kawasaki GPZ500
"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

wilz1234
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:57 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had issues with ricambi-weiss before.
Ordered a full set of fairings for the zxr. Took 2 months to arrive, and when they did, they didnt match:
https://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad290/wilz1234/zxr%20400%20project/IMAG0165.jpg

Would Not use again
____________________
RS50 - ZXR400 - ZXR 400 - ZX7R - Bandit 600 - NTV 650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cimbian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:02 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy from a VAT registered company within the EU they must account for the VAT locally, which means charging you VAT at their local rate; however, if you are a business that has VAT registration in an EU country AND you supply your VAT number to the supplier they will deduct the VAT.
____________________
22PlusY
Current: Moto Guzzi 1100 Breva. Previous: Honda XL650V TransAlp
Bearded, Balding, Born again Buddhist Biker
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pits
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you go and buy a set of paddock stands from your local independent bike shop who is probably struggling in this climate begging for business, as opposed to sending your money to Germany? Rolling Eyes
____________________
Stinkwheel: You have no right to free speech
00:32:08 Blau Zedong: yes, i am a massive CB400 fan and collector
00:33:00 Blau Zedong: the CB400 is my favourite road bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LockyUK
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:33 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

pits wrote:
Why don't you go and buy a set of paddock stands from your local independent bike shop who is probably struggling in this climate begging for business, as opposed to sending your money to Germany? Rolling Eyes


what if the local wants 2 x as much ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:47 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

pits wrote:
Why don't you go and buy a set of paddock stands from your local independent bike shop who is probably struggling in this climate begging for business, as opposed to sending your money to Germany? Rolling Eyes


Patriotic spending is a bad idea in the long term for everyone. It's bad for consumers because they pay more for lower quality goods. It's bad for producers because it removes incentives to be more cost and quality competitive, which means they won't have international market opportunities, and will eventually be wiped out when international competition expands.

Brick and mortar shops for deliverable goods are more or less screwed no matter what anyhow. Only for things where fit or freshness are highly important will they last. Convenience will get more and more expensive.
____________________
Bikes: S1000R, SH350; Exes: Vity 125, PS125, YBR125, ER6f, VFR800, Brutale 920, CB600F, SH300x4
Best road ever ridden: www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2MhNxUEYtQ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

AlexW
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 11 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:54 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

pits wrote:
Why don't you go and buy a set of paddock stands from your local independent bike shop who is probably struggling in this climate begging for business, as opposed to sending your money to Germany? Rolling Eyes


and where have the goods you're buying from that shop? This country? Bollocks.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:55 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

pits wrote:
Why don't you go and buy a set of paddock stands from your local independent bike shop who is probably struggling in this climate begging for business, as opposed to sending your money to Germany? Rolling Eyes

A consumer conscience is a luxury I do not have the disposable income to indulge in, even if I had sympathies that way.
If a local artisan were prepared to make me a pair for £80 fair do's... he could have my cash. But to support a retailer, some-one who does very little to 'add value' to a product, yet would insist on taking the largest slice of the pie from selling it to me?
Cut up the cost of a £100 item of modern manufactured consumer goods. £20 is taken by the tax man. between £25 & £40 is taken by the retailer. £10-£15 goes to the whole-saler. Another £10 or so goes to the UK importer / distributor. 3/4 of what I pay for a product goes to people who do fuck all towards its creation, and simply shift it around and expect the lions share of the revinue for the privilidge! Manufacturer, ex works, is lucky to see £1/4 the retail price, for the investment in design, development, tooling, facilities, and to pay the labour and material costs! And don't start me on the bludy bankers, who take an even BIGGER cut, just for watching the money move around!
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:12 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered a wheel balancer from them, and it should be arriving this week. They're cheaper than any UK supplier I could find and postage was £8 from Germany.
That's less than some UK suppliers charge for delivery.

The only time I've ever been hit for duty and VAT is on US imports.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pits
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:52 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
pits wrote:
Why don't you go and buy a set of paddock stands from your local independent bike shop who is probably struggling in this climate begging for business, as opposed to sending your money to Germany? Rolling Eyes


Patriotic spending is a bad idea in the long term for everyone. It's bad for consumers because they pay more for lower quality goods. It's bad for producers because it removes incentives to be more cost and quality competitive, which means they won't have international market opportunities, and will eventually be wiped out when international competition expands.

Brick and mortar shops for deliverable goods are more or less screwed no matter what anyhow. Only for things where fit or freshness are highly important will they last. Convenience will get more and more expensive.

Yeah, I am sorry you're right I will buy everything online and outside of the UK, so next time I go to the shops and find they're closed I wont be the least bit miffed.

I bought a lovely pair of paddocks for £100, well made, stable, not cheap and nasty, didn't have to wait a week for them to arrive, and at least profit went into someones pocket in the UK.

You are probably all the same people who will moan that bike shops are closing down, HMV is closing down, Jessops have gone, then no doubt you will be the same people who will complain about unemployment and that there is no jobs.

Go buy online for cheaper and abroad, but don't complain when you can't get anything in the UK and there is no jobs. Rolling Eyes
____________________
Stinkwheel: You have no right to free speech
00:32:08 Blau Zedong: yes, i am a massive CB400 fan and collector
00:33:00 Blau Zedong: the CB400 is my favourite road bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nick_Giles
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 01 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:30 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Re: Paddock-Stands From Germany - 'Customs charges'? Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
I'm looking at an e-bay add for a pair of paddock-stands from ricambi-weiss-com
Any-One used them? Got any comments?


Yup. I did a couple of weeks ago for a front paddock stand. (the type that lifts from the headstock)

Spoke to the guy himself who speaks perfect English. Good quality product that was delivered quickly. And without customs charges.


Nick

p.s. I chose the headstock type so if I ever wish to remove the forks of a bike I can do easily without having it precariously perched on blocks under the engine etc.
____________________
Peter Cook: "I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:48 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Re: Paddock-Stands From Germany - 'Customs charges'? Reply with quote

Nick_Giles wrote:
p.s. I chose the headstock type so if I ever wish to remove the forks of a bike I can do easily without having it precariously perched on blocks under the engine etc.

Karma
That's good to hear; that's the one I'm thinking of getting, for similar reasons.
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nick_Giles
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 01 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:19 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Re: Paddock-Stands From Germany - 'Customs charges'? Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

That's good to hear; that's the one I'm thinking of getting, for similar reasons.


You probably know this already. But :-

If you use a headstock stand you MUST lift the back 1st with a rear stand or the whole affair will be like a plate of overcooked spaghetti. It will not end well.



Nick
____________________
Peter Cook: "I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:23 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Cut up the cost of a £100 item of modern manufactured consumer goods. £20 is taken by the tax man.

Tax is 25% now? Eh?

"Buy British, It's Surly and Expensive!" produced notable success stories like British Leyland, Morris, Talbot, Rover and many, many others.

The original point of the EEC was a common market. We've toiling under the EU yoke now, we should damn well get the benefits. The great part is that when we've outsourced ourselves into poverty, we can just live on handouts from Brussels and watch Jeremy Kyle all day. Thumbs Up

tl;dr version - I buy a moderate amount of stuff in Euros now, I've never been hit with any duty on it.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:10 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

pits wrote:
I bought a lovely pair of paddocks for £100, well made, stable, not cheap and nasty, didn't have to wait a week for them to arrive, and at least profit went into someones pocket in the UK.


And I just recently bought an ABBA stand. It was the best product on the market for what I wanted it for, and so I bought it.

Quote:
You are probably all the same people who will moan that bike shops are closing down, HMV is closing down, Jessops have gone, then no doubt you will be the same people who will complain about unemployment and that there is no jobs.


No, I'm not. I think the last time I was in a HMV was over 20 years ago. I do most of my non-grocery shopping online. I think unskilled labour, from tills to shelf-stuffing, is on the way out; it will be replaced with self-service, automation, robots. And I actively choose self-service machines rather than human-controlled tills, "pay at pump" pumps at Tescos in preference to having to go into a shop, etc.

And I think this is a good thing, on the whole. I'm no neo-Luddite. Humans are too capable to waste on tasks that can be automated; I'm confident the market will find new things for people to do. But even more than that, the economics cannot be fought without a major overthrow of democracy and the (mostly) market economy.
____________________
Bikes: S1000R, SH350; Exes: Vity 125, PS125, YBR125, ER6f, VFR800, Brutale 920, CB600F, SH300x4
Best road ever ridden: www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2MhNxUEYtQ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cimbian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:01 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duty and VAT are two different things.

Goods (by this I mean regular consumer goods and most B2B goods) incur 0% duty if domiciled within the EU. This means that if one buys paddock stands from Germany for shipment to the UK there is NO DUTY; however, if a non-VAT registered entity (i.e a person or non-VAT company) buys the same goods they WILL be charged VAT at the rate local to the supply (in this case Germany).

This is the reason that duty-free shopping was stopped on ferries and flights. VAT is still charged on those items, though you may be led to believe they are 'tax free'.
____________________
22PlusY
Current: Moto Guzzi 1100 Breva. Previous: Honda XL650V TransAlp
Bearded, Balding, Born again Buddhist Biker
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:53 - 24 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my wheel balancer and the only issue with it was that the nut threads needed cleaning out with a tap (uprights bolt onto the base).
The rest of it is as expected.
It doesn't scream opulent luxury (it's a wheel balancer), but seems to be neatly made with a bit of heft to it.*



*(technical product reviews clearly my forte)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 261 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.44 Sec - Server Load: 3.75 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 137.37 Kb