Helmet Prices...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
the Arai RX7RR seemed to be the best I could find; £285 because it was end of line at the time, so I could justify it to myself.

and you're a tart, go on admit it! Wink

Could it not also be that someone like a club racer buys a £50 - £100 lid because they know that they are more likely to damage it and have to replace it more often than a road rider? Having to replace an Arai/Shoei could be an expensive game.

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:37 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty hard finding a lid that fits my 62 head.

Even most the XXL ones are pretty small. I'd recommend trying all different brands, and models of different brands. As said before, different manufactures have different classifications.

Find somewhere with LOADS of lids and play around with them. Take a hat though, your hair is going to be pretty messy once you've finished. If you worry about things like that of course. Smile

R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me I kinda like my xpeed helmet, fits me well and was only £129 Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tater
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:45 - 11 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first thing with a helmet is to buy one that fits, and to do the chin strap up properly!!

The best thing to do is buy a helmet that is ACU gold sticker and pay as much as you can, the best thing to do is look for a sale, i got a 170 OGK for 99 quid.

Bendy i don't agree with the your paying for the brand its true with clothes like a t-shirt but a helmet is so not the case, companies like arai don't get a good name for nothing, a 50 quid helmet will do satisfactory job in a crash i want a helmet that will do an excellent job in a crash. Smile

It is difficult to know what is the better helmet when it achieves a gold sticker, i think it would be better if they also gave it a star rating like cars so you know its the best of the best.

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 11 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mantzy wrote:
Its pretty hard finding a lid that fits my 62 head.

Even most the XXL ones are pretty small. I'd recommend trying all different brands, and models of different brands. As said before, different manufactures have different classifications.

Find somewhere with LOADS of lids and play around with them. Take a hat though, your hair is going to be pretty messy once you've finished. If you worry about things like that of course. Smile

R

My head is something like 62 too Sad

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 12 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go out saying i want brand 'X', or brand 'Y'.

When i was buying my lid, i wanted a AGV as thats what my mate told me to get. No matter which AGV lid i tried on, they all felt rubbish. Shoie were wonderful, just like a nice snug leather sofa, but way too expensive.

No other brands were avaliable in the shop, so i went to another shop and tried on some fm's. I didn't want a fm lid as there are not as cool as the others, but my mum didn't see the difference in the brand and made me try some on. I was very supprised when a £130 lid fitted me better than all the ones i had tried in the other shop.

Differnt brands use different standards for sizes, and therefore differnt brands suit different shapes of head. Try them all and look at the spec, not the name.

Hein gerickle is a good place to go as they have a VERY wide range of brands.

Also ask about price and avaliablity of spares, as you will need a visor or side pod.

Removable linings are worth the extra money.

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 12 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got an arai, but only becasue i have a weird head. The astro-j fits so nicely, like a glove. the other brands didnt fit well.

get one with a very good fit. dont spend too little, otherwise you'll get some helmet which is loud, (may not fit, and consequently be uncomfortable), or mists up. if a hemmet is uncomfortable it can be very distracting, and potentially dangerous. too loose is bad as well.

i borrowed one for my cbt. the instuctor was addomnet it was the right fit. when i pulled it off after the ride, my head physically hurt. it was SO distacting during the ride, as well Thumbs Down .

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:18 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT on Saturday and borrowed a Shoei helmet. I was quite surprised it fit, but least I now know i can actually get a helmet that will fit nicely. Still, I had problems with steaming up, so just lift the visor a little and it's all fine and dandy. Most of the rain can't get in either so it's all good. Don't know how anyone else feels, but the ventilation things aren't wonderful. May help at 70mph but at town speeds, they're pretty useless. Neutral

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mantzy wrote:
I did my CBT on Saturday and borrowed a Shoei helmet. I was quite surprised it fit, but least I now know i can actually get a helmet that will fit nicely. Still, I had problems with steaming up, so just lift the visor a little and it's all fine and dandy. Most of the rain can't get in either so it's all good. Don't know how anyone else feels, but the ventilation things aren't wonderful. May help at 70mph but at town speeds, they're pretty useless. Neutral

A fog city fog shield will sort any misting problems out. Costs about £17 and is like double glazing that goes inside the visor and lasts usually the life of the visor, works really well.

To be honest, I have yet to come across any helmet that does not mist up as standard to a certain degree.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 12:26 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am going through town I will lift my visor up completely it is a crawl most of the time any way. Smile
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:00 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know you want my crash helmet ( see attached ). It's brilliant and you can do many things with it that you can't with a £500 race rep Arai, shoei, etc. Such as smoke, eat, pick your nose when your going along Laughing .

Excause my nipples but it's very hot and i couldn't be bothered to put a top on for the pic, so don't get any idea's Wink .

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/

Dup
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 15 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

... then when you fall off you find your jaw is next to you in a jar of water so you can remind your kids that a full face helmet is the only way. Not forgetting that you would have to write it down too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 19 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

cagiva gezzer wrote:
Don't go out saying i want brand 'X', or brand 'Y'...
Hein gerickle is a good place to go as they have a VERY wide range of brands....

I think a return visit to my local Heine Gericke is definately needed.
I'll have to plan what I need, and have plenty of money on me though... cos I'm easily distracted with all the goodies in there - I'm like a kid in a sweet shop in that place!! LOL
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 288 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2