Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

internet dating websites!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DottyDuck
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:28 - 25 Jan 2013    Post subject: internet dating websites! Reply with quote

so I haven't dated in a while... and a friend said try a dating website its fun! so reluctantly i gave it a go.. and i wish i didn't bother now! i hate wearing my hear on my sleeve! i messaged a few people thinking ... "aww he seems nice!" .. anyways.. i didnt get messaged back from any of them... i knew i should of just left it ... but i hate putting myself out there and embarrassing myself..

i checked who viewed my profile and the youngest that did was 16 years older than me!!!!! now i know relationships can work with age gaps.. but to me thats just far too big..

anyways thats my rant over Sad

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 25 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a member of BCF, right? You therefore should know the sort of idiot you find on the internet. So you've only got yourself to blame, really. Best left alone.

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 25 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to make your window dressed up with the essence of you, and taking ignored as a confidence hit, is not gonna help you attal.

Thumbs Up

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 25 Jan 2013    Post subject: Re: internet dating websites! Reply with quote

DOTTYDUCK wrote:
i messaged a few people thinking ... "aww he seems nice!" .. anyways.. i didnt get messaged back from any of them... i knew i should of just left it ... but i hate putting myself out there and embarrassing myself..

i checked who viewed my profile and the youngest that did was 16 years older than me!!!!! now i know relationships can work with age gaps.. but to me thats just far too big..

anyways thats my rant over Sad

Best not let it get you down when a girl rejects you. Happens to everyone and really there's nothing to be embarassed about. Don't get me wrong, we all feel embarassed, but best to either forget about it or care.

I tend to deal with my embarassment by telling people I know and laughing about it. Turns out they aren't bothered or find it funny (in a relatable way).

Tbh I'd be flattered if a girl showed interest whether I was interested or not.

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 25 Jan 2013    Post subject: Re: internet dating websites! Reply with quote

DOTTYDUCK wrote:
"aww he seems nice!"

@bluezedd Fairly certain OP is a She.......(apologies if not).

Online dating, never used never will, I like women who are a bit mental and nuts but not in the clingy, bunny boiling, ice pick murdering way.

Go out and meet people the usual Bars clubs, particularly themed nights like Rock Nights etc if that isn't your thing then hobbies are usually good for getting out and meeting people i.e. Rock Climbing or local running club something like that if you can think of one.

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 25 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always Pm 'Mark Roberts' from bcf, I hear he's the perfect specimen of a modern man, he's a sensitive lover, has worked for a major seafood manufacturer and is able to weld to within 4 thou - I can put money on a reply.

Be sure to let us know how you get on with your experience meeting someone from the interwebs Thumbs Up
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

-LG-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 25 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've met three people from POF...two were (still are mental), first one started talking about having kids together on the first date! I made some crap up and just left. Second used an old photo, clearly put a bit of weight on...that was fun when she invited me back to hers...again I made some bollocks up about needing to get home. I wanted a shag...but not that much!

Third one is great though. Things are looking good!

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 25 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

What site's are you trying, and how bad is your profile?!
Also, what sort of age range are you, and what sort of age range are you looking for? Certain sites work better for some than others.

Back in the long past days of singledom I used singlefriend.com after a mate met his wife on there and then match.com after getting bored of singlefriend and quitting it all for a while.

It's actually quite a lot of work to write a profile that reads well and provokes interest. Every email you write has to be personally tailored to who your sending it to, and engaging - no simple "Hi I saw your profile, message me back". You have to get the other person to engage and then you start to get your personality across.
Or something like that.
The wife (match.com is where we met) had a not dissimilar experience to you. Most of the men who were looking her up were quite a bit older than her, and she got ignored by a few people, even after they'd instigated the messaging.

On the other hand my experience was looking for a serious relationship so my post is limited to that.

Good luck with it.

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 25 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've met some lovely girls from pof, dated one almost a year. Just joined back up since returning from Afghanistan and going on a date with a teacher tomorrow! It's a much better site for guys.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 25 Jan 2013    Post subject: Re: internet dating websites! Reply with quote

Moxey wrote:
.... if pubs aren't your thing then hobbies are usually good for getting out and meeting people.

What if your hobby is writing on a motorbike forum to randoms across cyber-space, then what?

keggyhander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 25 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at POF once. It seemed to be populated by orange manatees living in wallpaper-less "Scrats" (Scrubber's Flats) with an 'ole full of kids.

I'd rather shock off.

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 25 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

pub , club or all night supermarket Rolling Eyes
I'm told the all night supermarkets are the new way to date
only singles shop at 3 am Thumbs Up

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 25 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approaching women in their own at 3am in the supermarket is far weirder than Internet dating will ever be.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 26 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! I signed up to that POF website just yesterday! A few of my mates had talked about it so I thought fuck it I'll have a look. Two things I can say....

DOTTYDUCK wrote:

.. anyways.. i didnt get messaged back from any of them...

Sorry if that was me. Laughing

keggyhander wrote:
I had a look at POF once. It seemed to be populated by orange manatees living in wallpaper-less "Scrats" (Scrubber's Flats) with an 'ole full of kids.

I'd rather shock off.

Totally true. It's just worsened my sense of 'no hope' for the world.

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 26 Jan 2013    Post subject: Re: internet dating websites! Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
Moxey wrote:
.... if pubs aren't your thing then hobbies are usually good for getting out and meeting people.

What if your hobby is writing on a motorbike forum to randoms across cyber-space, then what?

Organise a bike meet? Some friends of mine a few years ago were really into WoW, they organised a pub crawl and one of them met his future fiance through it, nothing against using the web to organise things.

Still couldn't hurt to try new things, going out and experiencing stuff that you always had an interest in, even if you don't meet somebody special you may still have a good time.

I guess I see online dating as too forthright, I'm just of the persuasion that I'd rather meet somebody in person on the basis of getting to know them as a friend through mutual interest (can still be organised online just the intention isn't directly about a relationship) then make something of it once get to know each other better.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 26 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was Bellaboo's approach to dating, a couple of years back https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=192699&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It's a looooong read...but funny in places... Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 26 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I have a genuine question about this POF site, if anyone knows...

There's section called 'Meet me', where you can literally just rifle through lots of images of potential women, and there are buttons for 'yes', 'no', and 'maybe'. So I've been sitting here going 'no, no, no, no, no'. And I'll never say yes because I honestly just signed up for the hell of it.

However sometimes I'll see a sort of hot bird and think that I should be nice, so click 'maybe', just to stay true to my opinion that I'd maybe meet them but it's not like saying 'yes'. So... if I've clicked 'maybe', do they see that I've said that? Or is it anonymous? The reason I ask is because I've had two semi-hot girls come up in my list saying they'd like to meet me, so I wonder if they actually clicked the 'maybe' button, or they actually did click yes to me Dance!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:33 - 26 Jan 2013    Post subject: Re: internet dating websites! Reply with quote

DOTTYDUCK wrote:
so I haven't dated in a while...

Why not? It's easy to get a man, we're total whores.

DOTTYDUCK wrote:
i messaged a few people thinking ... "aww he seems nice!"

Nice is nice, but someone with similar interests is better.

Are you being totally honest about what you actually enjoy doing? There's no point in dissembling or writing what you think chaps want to see. Better to weed out 95% of the fellows just looking for some totty on the side, and get one nibble from Mr Right.

Anyway, if you like older married men who over-analyse things and write in a didactic fashion, I might, uh, know someone.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 26 Jan 2013    Post subject: Re: internet dating websites! Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Are you being totally honest about what you actually enjoy doing? There's no point in dissembling or writing what you think chaps want to see. Better to weed out 95% of the fellows just looking for some totty on the side, and get one nibble from Mr Right.

this is something i dont understand when it comes to dating sites..

when you're signing up and putting in interests etc.. and it tries to match you with someone with similar... i dont want someone exactly like me, if i did id marry my hand!

im a bit of a nerd, i like sci-fi, messing about on the pc etc.. but i wouldnt matter a jot if i met someone who preferred reading and horse riding lets say.. in fact the more differences the better (within reason) gives you new things to try, new experiences or at a basic level.. allows you to still have some time to yourself whilst their off doing something they're interested in.

still unconvinced, but ive been single far too long.. perhaps i should give one of these a go.. hell if i do get a message at least it'll be a bit of an ego boost heh

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:08 - 26 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

sa1988 wrote:
Actually I have a genuine question about this POF site, if anyone knows...

However sometimes I'll see a sort of hot bird and think that I should be nice, so click 'maybe', just to stay true to my opinion that I'd maybe meet them but it's not like saying 'yes'. So... if I've clicked 'maybe', do they see that I've said that? Or is it anonymous? The reason I ask is because I've had two semi-hot girls come up in my list saying they'd like to meet me, so I wonder if they actually clicked the 'maybe' button, or they actually did click yes to me Dance!

When you click maybe, it will appear to them that you have said 'Yes I'd like to meet you'
If you click no they won't be able to see that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:17 - 26 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al wrote:

When you click maybe, it will appear to them that you have said 'Yes I'd like to meet you'
If you click no they won't be able to see that.

Hah, wounded, I'll have to cancel the epic ego boost it gave me! Hurt

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 26 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well even if they said maybe it at least shows that they didn't think you were a total mong.

However 50,000 other people might have looked and all clicked 'no' Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:35 - 26 Jan 2013    Post subject: Re: internet dating websites! Reply with quote

supZ wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

this is something i dont understand when it comes to dating sites..

when you're signing up and putting in interests etc.. and it tries to match you with someone with similar... i dont want someone exactly like me, if i did id marry my hand!

im a bit of a nerd, i like sci-fi, messing about on the pc etc.. but i wouldnt matter a jot if i met someone who preferred reading and horse riding lets say.. in fact the more differences the better (within reason) gives you new things to try, new experiences or at a basic level.. allows you to still have some time to yourself whilst their off doing something they're interested in.

still unconvinced, but ive been single far too long.. perhaps i should give one of these a go.. hell if i do get a message at least it'll be a bit of an ego boost heh

I've thought the same.

I don't even want to meet the weight lifting, xbox playing, whisky drinking, motorbike riding, steak eating science geek that I would be matched with.

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 26 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to give it another go this year now I have the 'biker' thing going.

'Pillion required - must like bouncing up and down - bring your own sissy'.

Thinking

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 26 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

90% of the time, people don't look past your pictures, if you're a fat fucker, you're not going to get much luck!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6