Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ER-6F Neutral Light staying on

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Steven8294
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:01 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: ER-6F Neutral Light staying on Reply with quote

Hi All,

Looking for some help with my 09' ER-6F, when I first turn the bike on (intermittent, doesn’t always happen), and switch from neutral into any gear, the neutral light stays on, but it is slightly dimmer. I was wondering if anyone has had this issue in the past or knows what the issue is? Around 20 minutes into my ride, the light goes off, however I am unsure if it goes off when going back into first, (engaging neutral in between 2nd and 1st) or whether this is just at a random point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:20 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The neutral switch on a bike usually works by allowing the power to the bulb to earth through the neutral switch. So the bulb is always live but the earth wire from the bulb runs down to the neutral switch. When the switch plunger hits a projection on the gear selector drum, it allows the switch to earth.

So. If the wire between the bulb and the neutral switch is damaged and makes contact with a metal part of the bike, the light will come on. It's quite common for people to trap the wire under an engine cover. It's also quite common for the neutral switch to be located under the gearbox sprocket cover leaving it succeptable to damage from any bits of muck or stones thrown up by the chain (or from the chain itself). I'm not sure where the neutral switch is on an ER6 but Kawasaki usually use a light green wire for this application.

Steven8294
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:34 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stink,

I'll attempt to find a wiring diagram, if not then I might have to pull the instrument panel off and trace the wire looking for any breakages, my main concern, was if Kawasaki had a bright idea to make this a warning light for something, as it staying on but going dimmer was worrying me.. But as you say, it could just be a wiring fault, I have heard this before so will take a look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:37 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than likely down near the neutral switch.

mine stayed on and flickered on the GSXR. Was quite fun having a speedo that registered 0 and a neutral light on. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:00 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven8294 wrote:
Thanks Stink,

I'll attempt to find a wiring diagram, if not then I might have to pull the instrument panel off and trace the wire looking for any breakages, my main concern, was if Kawasaki had a bright idea to make this a warning light for something, as it staying on but going dimmer was worrying me.. But as you say, it could just be a wiring fault, I have heard this before so will take a look.

First place I'd look is under the front sprocket cover. I've never seen a kawasaki use anything other than a Light green wire for a neutral switch and the neutral switch is usually under there (althought with a vertically stacked gearbox, I'm prepared to be wrong). See if it's trapped/damaged somewhere.

Another line of attack would be to undo the snap connector where the bundle of wires heads from the loom to the engine (alternator wiring, gear sensors etc) and see if the light goes off. If it does, the problem is "downstream" of that connector.

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven do what stinkwheel is saying first. 99% of problems are down at the switch due to sticky switch or road/oil crud. If you feel you need to take the switch out double check as you tend to have to drain the oil first. I was lucky as a good clean sorted mine out.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:12 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a sticker over the light Thumbs Up Laughing

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
More than likely down near the neutral switch.

mine stayed on and flickered on the GSXR. Was quite fun having a speedo that registered 0 and a neutral light on. Laughing

Speedo cable on the africa twin snapped on Saturday, and the neutral light comes on every time you pull the clutch in Laughing

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Like what i do with the airbag light in the car. Thing is the problem is a wire under the seat. Cant be arsed taking it out to fix it.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:33 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

1888 wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Like what i do with the airbag light in the car. Thing is the problem is a wire under the seat. Cant be arsed taking it out to fix it.

Well the neutral light is one thing, but the airbag? Confused Smile

I mean I know when there's neutral on my bike I even feel it clicking into the neutral, but I don't know If I could feel the airbag blasting into my face before it actually happens and you can't really save the situation with the clutch Laughing

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Well the neutral light is one thing, but the airbag? Confused Smile

I mean I know when there's neutral on my bike I even feel it clicking into the neutral, but I don't know If I could feel the airbag blasting into my face before it actually happens and you can't really save the situation with the clutch Laughing

Its a sensor mate to tell the car that someone is sitting in the seat. If i could be more arse i would take the airbag out. Never trusted the things.

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine doesn't come on at all, any takers?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:10 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Mine doesn't come on at all, any takers?

Blown bulb or sticky switch would be first two guesses.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 81 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1