Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Triumph Project!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:14 - 11 Feb 2013    Post subject: Triumph Project! Reply with quote

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_0663_zpsaed0490b.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_0667_zpse4bed95d.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_0668_zps87ab1d0c.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_0669_zps8a17a9aa.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_0665_zpse7928efb.jpg

Got this for the princely sum of £54, the idea was to build a nice retro bike for the misses.

I was planning on replacing the rod brakes with some modern dual pivot callipers but I can't I think it would ruin the bike, the Rod brakes and the mechanism look superb.

3 plans at the moment all depends on what the misses wants and how well it cleans up.

1 Clean it and leave it, see how well it cleans and leaves it original.
2 Restore it keeping it original, get everything polished and the frame painted, try to fine some reproduction decals.
3 Restore it with a modern Twist, a bright pastel colour maybe a more modern italic logo

The condition is a lot better than I thought, all the brightwork is excellent, the frame looks a bit ratty but mechanically it is superb.

The wheels are clean and true, the bearings seem good, the 3 Speed hub appears to be in good working order. I haven't ridden it yet, so I will have to test ride it and see. Sadly the previous owners cat attacked the saddle, the base is still in good nick so I may be able to repair it but in the mean time I bought a cheap but pretty reasonable sprung gel saddle.

I have new tyres and tubes on the way once they are fitted It should be ridable! Cool

I'm after a new rear mudguard that'll match and anywhere that I could get some reproduction decals from. Any ideas?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:42 - 12 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd leave that as-is if I were you. Looks good. A wipe over everything (except the rims) with ACF50 every so often and it'll stay that way.

Chain is pretty loose and you look like you're nearing the end of the dropouts. The chain should be tight like on a single speed. If there isn't enough adjustment left, get a new chain.

A brookes racing saddle would be authentic but would cost more than the rest of the bike.

A new rear mudguard will be fairly pricey if you want a metal one. Otherwise you're looking at scanning ebay for a second hand one.

I found these stainless ones that could be painted:
https://www.racerrosabicycles.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=48

chris-red

PostPosted: 15:26 - 12 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'd leave that as-is if I were you. Looks good. A wipe over everything (except the rims) with ACF50 every so often and it'll stay that way.

Chain is pretty loose and you look like you're nearing the end of the dropouts. The chain should be tight like on a single speed. If there isn't enough adjustment left, get a new chain.

A brookes racing saddle would be authentic but would cost more than the rest of the bike.

A new rear mudguard will be fairly pricey if you want a metal one. Otherwise you're looking at scanning ebay for a second hand one.

I found these stainless ones that could be painted:
https://www.racerrosabicycles.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=48

I would probably leave it if it were mine, we'll see, the misses likes pretty things. Rolling Eyes

I'd love to get a Brookes saddle for it, but it is just too much,the one on it cost £9 and is pretty comfy looking we will see how she gets on with it. I may see if it is possible to repair the old one.

I have been looking on eBay, These look very similar.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-MUDGUARDS-FENDERS-FROM-VINTAGE-3-SPEED-BSA-BERMUDA-BIKE-SUIT-RALEIGH-/140916549131?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item20cf47e60b

But are too much I'll keep an eye out on ebay.

The ones you linked are for bigger wheels these are 26" There are a few stainless ones about but I have no idea how to make them match then bike without painting everything. Anyway I think Saturday afternoon We are cleaning it up.

Also I'm assuming an off the shelf single speed chain will fit correct?

Also the pedals feel a bit notchy and stiff, can the bearings be replaced in these old ones?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:55 - 12 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedas rough or bottom bracket rough?

The bottom bracket bearings can be replaced, they will be loose ball bearings. The cups might not be available.

You have a cotter-pin crank. I'd order two new cotter pins before dismantling, they are often damaged.

Even if the cups are a tad rough, a clean, new balls and a grease can work wonders. You almost certainly need 22 x 1/4" ball bearings. Replace them all with ones from the same pack if you're going to replace one because the QC on loose bicycle bearings is apalling. Two from the same pack will most likely be a similar diameter though.

Many pedals can be dismantled. Usually a rainstorm of 5/32" ball bearings. They don't look like terribly fancy pedals if you simply wanted to replace them. Search ebay for "traditional pedal".

Chain is almost certainly 1/8" x 1/2" like they use on BMXes. Look for a 1/8" single speed chain.

Also buy that bitch a ding-dong bell. Bitches love ding-dong bells.

Anything you're not sure how to do, google it followed by "Sheldon" and you'll invariably get a detailed article on the subject written by the late, great Sheldon Brown. Enthusiast and walking encyclopaedia on all things bicycle.

chris-red

PostPosted: 16:37 - 12 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The bottom bracket bearings can be replaced, they will be loose ball bearings. The cups might not be available.

You have a cotter-pin crank. I'd order two new cotter pins before dismantling, they are often damaged.

Even if the cups are a tad rough, a clean, new balls and a grease can work wonders. You almost certainly need 22 x 1/4" ball bearings. Replace them all with ones from the same pack if you're going to replace one because the QC on loose bicycle bearings is apalling. Two from the same pack will most likely be a similar diameter though.

Many pedals can be dismantled. Usually a rainstorm of 5/32" ball bearings. They don't look like terribly fancy pedals if you simply wanted to replace them. Search ebay for "traditional pedal"

Chain is almost certainly 1/8" x 1/2" like they use on BMXes. Look for a 1/8" single speed chain.

Also buy that bitch a ding-dong bell. Bitches love ding-dong bells.

Anything you're not sure how to do, google it followed by "Sheldon" and you'll invariably get a detailed article on the subject written by the late, great Sheldon Brown. Enthusiast and walking encyclopaedia on all things bicycle.

The bottom bracket feels great, smooth and solid. Just the pedals need attention. I'll try to keep them If I can they may not look that fancy but but I think they are original, new ones would look wrong I think.

Still trying to decide whether it is worth stripping the BB all the guides I have found are just about removing the crank arms which seem simple enough not about how the bracket comes apart.

As for a bell one did come with it but it is knackered I'm going to see if I can fix it. Thumbs Up

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:01 - 13 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest if the bb feels fine leave it the change of it coming out easily with home tools on such an old bike is slim im 99.9% sure we could remove it at the shop but we have tools you just wont have specifically designed for the removal of those bottom brackets.

also be wary if you do buy replacement cotter pins you will need imperial ones not metric. as for new pedals spoiling it MKS make some lovely old style pedals something like the sylvan would look good.

chris-red

PostPosted: 19:37 - 17 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent all day on it today, it doesn't look like much but believe lots of time was spend cleaning stuff up. At least 2 hours with scotchbite cleaning the wheels Sad

I stripped both hubs and re greased everything, striped the 3 speed hub about 6 times trying to work out why it wouldn't sit right, turned out I had miss placed the plastic spring cap (had bounced out of the magnetic dish I was using) I had been using the LHS wheel spacer instead. Evil or Very Mad Once the right parts where in the right place is was great. Nearly there now, Very Happy Just need to sort the brakes out. Then after that she'll ride it around throughout the summer then maybe a full strip and repaint next winter.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_0993_zps78a3a0c9.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/chris-red/IMG_0734_zps9f811a57.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1