BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Peat
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:59 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: What bike? Reply with quote

What would be a good, cheap insurance, cheap to buy (less than £1250), reliable bike restricted to 33bhp?

Is there an engine size limit if you have the A2 test pass or does it not matter so long as it restricted to 33bhp?

Does it cost much to restrict an unrestricted bike?

All these questions from the keen newbie Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sacarius
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:11 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No size limit but the insurance will depend on it. Think it's about £200 for a restrictor.
The way your heart sounds makes all the difference. It's what decides if you'll endure the pain that we all feel. The way your heart beats makes all the difference in learning to live. Spread before you is your soul. So forever hold the dreams within our hearts. Through nature's inflexible grace I'm learning to live.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 17:07 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

try a GPZ 500 you can pick up a reasonable one for pennys, and there restrictor kit is £105, just remember when choosing, that telling your insurer it restricted wont make it cheaper to insure...you pay full premium be it 100bhp or 33 bhp.

regards
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 19:13 - 08 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine restricted for £110 places round here average at £130.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:53 - 09 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

No cc limit for a restricted bike, just the power limit. I would go with Craig and say look at a GPZ500. They have been on sale for about 18 years so you can pick them up from next to nothing.

All the best

Keith

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 09 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a GS500E?

Cheaper to run, and insure than a GPZ (as its 2 groups lower) and has a better engine, I've heard of GPZ engines dieing early on due to neglect but a GS500 will keep running and running with the lowest amount of maintainence Very Happy

Some how I think I may be a bit biased Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Peat
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:31 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: DAS Reply with quote

I've decided to do my DAS now Very Happy ... so as beginner (big) bikes would all of the previous make suitable, cheap but reliable first bikes - just unrestricted now?

Basically I don't want a sport bike, something upright, comfortable, with a little bit of poke...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Re: DAS Reply with quote

Peat wrote:
I've decided to do my DAS now Very Happy ... so as beginner (big) bikes would all of the previous make suitable, cheap but reliable first bikes - just unrestricted now?

Basically I don't want a sport bike, something upright, comfortable, with a little bit of poke...

GS500E sounds perfect for you!

Or maybe a GPZ500S both great bikes, great for new riders both will go well above the legal limit, I know from experience that my GS has an indicated Max speed of 120MPH, which is more like 110MPH.

Both bikes are cheap and easy to service, Insure and Repair.

And Both start off from about £400 for an older bike (1987 onwards) up to £3500 for next to new ones so you'd be able to find one easily.

Zx6man
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a gpz500s and it was pretty good. Built much better than the gs500, but cost more. decent engine and fairing, and comfy 2 up as well.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A safe bet is one of the bikes the training schools use such as:

CB500
ER5
GS500

these are good all purpose bikes, which are easy to ride and dont cost the earth to insure. they are also very common bikes so i'm sure you will be able to find a place capable of restricting one, or perhaps do it yourself.

the GPZ500 is a nice bike, my dad had an 83 one, the only thing that gave him any grief was the gear box which had more neutrals than gears Razz

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zx6man wrote:
I had a gpz500s and it was pretty good. Built much better than the gs500, but cost more. decent engine and fairing, and comfy 2 up as well.

Thats why the GS is cheaper Smile

I find my GS completely fine up to about 85mph when handling gets a bit fininky, but hey I shouldn't be doing 85 :p

The GPZ has to be serviced well as I've heard about ones dieing early from lack of oil changes like Most Kawa's.

The GS is also alot cheaper to insure being Grp 7 rather than the GPZ's Grp 9 and the GS being Aircooled costs less to service Wink

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFrostyOne wrote:

the GPZ500 is a nice bike, my dad had an 83 one, the only thing that gave him any grief was the gear box which had more neutrals than gears Razz

If Im not mistaken the GPZ500 began life in 1987 Razz

I found the Gearbox on my ER-5 (which uses the same engine as the GPZ) to very postive and probably one of the nicest gearboxes Ive ever used.
Saying that the GS's isn't bad either.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig and His GS500E wrote:
DaFrostyOne wrote:

If Im not mistaken the GPZ500 began life in 1987 Razz

i asked him, he said it was a GPZ550, cant remember what year it was, but it looked just like a GPZ500
Was quite a nice thing really, i certainly would say no to one Very Happy

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPZ550 Lasted until 1985 when it was replaced by the GPZ600R Very Happy

The GPZ550 wasn't the greatest bike in the world and they have to be looked after otherwise they will go ka-booooom quite easily Razz

Josh
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:46 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

GS500E.
Stunningly attractive with a full fairing.
I would easily let it in my bed, no questions asked.
But yeah, I would say GS500E for the cheapness.
My insurance is gonna end up cheaper than my 125, the bike will too, its all cheap. :>

Peat
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:16 - 11 Jun 2004    Post subject: Excellent - thanks! Reply with quote

I'm off to biketrader.co.uk... see you guys later Wink

Thanks for the heads up - useful stuff! Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 321 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1