Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GoPro Mounting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Snorty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:24 - 15 Feb 2013    Post subject: GoPro Mounting Reply with quote

Going to put a GoPro on helmet/bike - was wondering what the best way to mount was with the supplied mounts? Don't want it to blow off at triple digit speeds (km/h).

Past: CB125TDC | TZR125 | GPZ500 | CBR600F3 | ZX9-R | GSXR1000 K4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:45 - 15 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suction pad on the tank and tie some string around it and some other point on the bike in case it does come off. Sticky mount on your helmet if you don't mind sticking it on your lid and maybe chest mount if you have one (I haven't tried the chest mount on a motorbike yet). They're the pretty standard ones, get creative and see what you can come up with.

BigDan1190
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 02:57 - 15 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my drift cam, I use the sticky mount on top of my lid. Link to my vlogs in my sig if you want to see the view point
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 15 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

an example of what i use.

https://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab232/copycat73/allsorts/Photo1086.jpg

https://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab232/copycat73/Photo0501.jpg

in both cases they are fixed with super glue.

i`ve used the m3 sticker pad on a helmet and it doesn`t blow off..
but its very tiring as the wind constantly forcing your head back and i`ve stopped using that method of mounting the camera.

https://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab232/copycat73/GOPR1177.jpg

Last edited by Copycat73 on 10:47 - 15 Feb 2013; edited 1 time in total

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 15 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the bike, i have to admit i don't wear my on the helmet any more and try now to make it so noticeable on the bike. Ws out a run got a bit carried away as you do and went flying past police and had a moment where i was contemplating launching the camera in case they pulled me. Below are adapters that go onto mounting attachments which you can swap to the gopro for your mobile phone etc. The sports bike use the fork stem attachment to mount to the centre of the bars.

https://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/library/universal/mounts/motorcycle-mounts/yamaha-r1/stem-extender/flat/web/1.jpg

https://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/library/universal/mounts/motorcycle-mounts/3-bolts/25mm-flat/web/3.jpg

https://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/library/universal/mounts/motorcycle-mounts/u-bolt/u-bolt-25mm-flat/web/4.jpg

https://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/library/universal/mounts/motorcycle-mounts/yamaha-r1/stem-25mm-flat/web/4.jpg

Last edited by Stevie GooGs on 09:42 - 15 Feb 2013; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 15 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

KLR600 wrote:
Suction pad on the tank and tie some string around it and some other point on the bike in case it does come off. Sticky mount on your helmet if you don't mind sticking it on your lid and maybe chest mount if you have one (I haven't tried the chest mount on a motorbike yet). They're the pretty standard ones, get creative and see what you can come up with.

Never Never use the suction pad, i had it come off but lucky enough it hit me in the nuts and stayed there till i could stop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 15 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sticky mounts are very good, my camera is fixed to my helmet with one and as long as you ensure a secure fitting, they'll stay put. The suction cup I had for my gopro was also very good, used it on my car and bike, although I didn't fix it to my bike properly once and it fell off and I lost the camera. It may be advisable to use a fail safe tether if you choose to use the suction cup!

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 15 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sticky pads are very strong and if they are left on for any length of time then when it comes to removing them they can damage your helmet. I have a £500 Rossi Replica lid and its marked the paint, not amused.

The suction mount I've found has been rock solid, I had it attached to the lower fairing on my bike but i did have it tethered just in case. Suction mount does suffer from vibration.

Quite possibly the most boring video you'll ever watch but you'll see the different positions i had it mounted on the bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUnPj7iYJZo

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:59 - 15 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suction mount was fine for me at ~70 with it fairly protected from the wind, but was dubious the whole journey..

I've not done 170 and had it attached to my helmet...honest.

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:11 - 15 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suction mount is good if you get a good grip and it's on something solid

Don't put it on the mudguard else you may lose it down the duel carriageway like I nearly did Laughing

Peirre oBollox
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:39 - 15 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wherever the OP puts the mount, just make sure the site is clean, with no dirt, oil, or other residues on the site. Especially if they`re going to use the 3M sticky mounts supplied with the camera. Its also recomended that once applied, the sticky mounts should be left 24hrs before you attach the camera and ride

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 15 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3m sticky pads wont come off, ive had one on my Shoei Xpirit for over 4 years and one on my Hornet DS for over a year. I wont try to take them off as am sure as said above the paint will come with it. Fitting to the bike using the 3m pads again i dont think will come off but its trying to get a decent angle.

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 15 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do want to remove a sticky pad, a hairdryer can help loosen the glue and either an old credit card and maybe some dental floss can take the pad off. Did that on my car bumper and it didn't leave a mark.

Knightsy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 15 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Industrial strength Velcro for me. I've had my Drift on it for a good 6 months now and it's still good Thumbs Up

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 15 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanRacer wrote:
The sticky pads are very strong and if they are left on for any length of time then when it comes to removing them they can damage your helmet. I have a £500 Rossi Replica lid and its marked the paint, not amused.

The suction mount I've found has been rock solid, I had it attached to the lower fairing on my bike but i did have it tethered just in case. Suction mount does suffer from vibration.

Quite possibly the most boring video you'll ever watch but you'll see the different positions i had it mounted on the bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUnPj7iYJZo

That's fuck all....
I have a much more boring clip than that. Rolling Eyes

Very Happy

OP
The GoPro suction cup is perfect but tether (belt & braces factor).
The surface must be non porous and relatively flat/uniform It will fly off and 'hit you in the nuts' if you are a total mong and mount it incorrectly. Razz
The 3M pads stick like shit to a blanket but will defo mark woteva they are 'properly' stuck to.
Use alcohol wipes to remove any shit on the surface before mounting and they won't come off.

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 15 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie GooGs wrote:
Never Never use the suction pad, i had it come off but lucky enough it hit me in the nuts and stayed there till i could stop.

It's been fine for me for speeds up to and including "quite fast" Shifty

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 15 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might have been me hitting it with my chest or the tank not being 100% clean but it came off on me mid corner and i got a bit of fright so was enough for me never to bother using it again.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 53 days between these two posts...
derek.thorvg This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 4 years, 359 days between these two posts...

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:22 - 01 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refreshing this post with a question.

My bro has given me use of his gopro, and a few mounts to try, but my helmet has a slight curve right at the top so the mount would be off-centre, and kind of on an angle, I wonder if this is ok and straighten in iMovie or final cut pro.?

I don't have a side mount which would help. The chin of the helmet has a vent so can't put it there.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 01 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

fitting to the upper part of a lid creates a lot of air friction.. using it becomes hard work .. better on the side .. low down the better..

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:09 - 01 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
fitting to the upper part of a lid creates a lot of air friction.. using it becomes hard work .. better on the side .. low down the better.

was thinking that, may need to buy the side mount. Also seems too high up there.
Just tested it and using final cut I can adjust it and it's not that off anyway. But when we do finally get out I do think at high speeds it won't be great.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 02 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeyalater wrote:

was thinking that, may need to buy the side mount. Also seems too high up there.
Just tested it and using final cut I can adjust it and it's not that off anyway. But when we do finally get out I do think at high speeds it won't be great.

Side of the lid and low as you can go. I have a still taken from mine at 170mph mounted like that with a 3m pad your bike can't do 170 you'll be fine.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 02 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPro and similar shaped ones are clumsy on a helmet, the best place is on the chin consider sticking the pad to one side and adding a bracket or two so it's more or less in front of that vent.
The whole GoPro mounting system with screws that are fiddly to start and don't want to stay tight is poor IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

seeyalater
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:22 - 02 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
seeyalater wrote:

Side of the lid and low as you can go. I have a still taken from mine at 170mph mounted like that with a 3m pad your bike can't do 170 you'll be fine.

It might down hill with the wind behind me Smile ok it won't. tops out at 130 ish

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 03 Apr 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use 3m pads to helmet then apoxy resin to mold onto the chin of my helmet (3m was so it could be removed) but started using a dango gripper instead as you can change where you mount it on the bike, you can use a lanyard just incase it gets comes loose which its meant to if you crash https://dango-design.co.uk/
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2