Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where you been on your bike Today

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 145, 146, 147  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not today but yesterday in the sun

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Dirt%20bikes/2017-03-11%2012.46.41_zps8ffgtf1f.jpg

Stopped off at the Oakdean cafe for a break from a days green laning

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Dirt%20bikes/2017-03-11%2011.45.57_zps7oj3wy8g.jpg
https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Dirt%20bikes/2017-03-11%2010.45.33_zpsorcdxox9.jpg
https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Dirt%20bikes/2017-03-11%2010.21.46_zpswz33zztt.jpg
https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Dirt%20bikes/2017-03-11%2011.15.58_zps58lsd8jf.jpg

Out on the lanes around the Biggin Hill and Wrotham area Thumbs Up
Great fun as it was the first time out since my operation Very Happy

Always have a 'Plan B'

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 12 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Good lad. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing fancy today, but just out for a ride, for once.

Had a day working from home today and the weather was decent for the first time in ages, so I just couldn't resist.

Tried to go out for a lunchtime ride but after getting kitted up and pushing the bike out of the garage, it failed to start Laughing

But I stuck it on charge and righted that wrong later in the afternoon.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/632/33039768890_4890f807a3.jpg

Absolutely love this thing - more confident on it on a first ride out of the year than I ever was on the Triumph. It's an absolutely wicked bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky if my battery lasts 2 weeks between rides, apparently completely normal on these bikes Laughing Dash still comes on and all that just not enough juice to start the engine. I suspect it's something to do with the immobiliser and the flashing LED on the dash. Still quite happy with mine just really want to get some touring miles on it. It's very happy chasing little supermotos about the twisties, want to see how it handles mile munching.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
Lucky if my battery lasts 2 weeks between rides, apparently completely normal on these bikes Laughing Dash still comes on and all that just not enough juice to start the engine. I suspect it's something to do with the immobiliser and the flashing LED on the dash.

It had done 6-7 weeks without charge before but I guess I got lucky that it just 'caught' early on the starter. This time it didn't Laughing

Still enjoying yours?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I've been here before Thinking

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/DSCN8243_zpsgdmnkz2x.jpg

Yew Tree Tarn, between Coniston and Ambleside:

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/DSCN8255_zps75wswpkw.jpg

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/DSCN8249_zpsui9wcunf.jpg

Altered the return route from Ambleside to take in the Kirkstone Pass though, stopped for a coffee at the inn:

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/DSCN8259_zpsschz2fzm.jpg

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/DSCN8257_zpslavswadq.jpg

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/DSCN8261_zpsuqxyv5zt.jpg

The Striple is definitely better on the gnarlier mountain roads; you can take more liberties, but overall, I still prefer riding the Fazer. This is a really mixed route, with fast, sweeping A roads, the aforementioned mountain stuff, and everything in between. The Fazer is more...versatile? And i just love the way it holds it's line, like it's on rails, but yet, if you need to adjust, give it a nudge and you're where you want it, and immediately settled again. And of course, on the open stuff, the speeds are (deleted in the interests of road safety!).
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:45 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
The Fazer is more...versatile? And i just love the way it holds it's line, like it's on rails, but yet, if you need to adjust, give it a nudge and you're where you want it, and immediately settled again. And of course, on the open stuff, the speeds are (deleted in the interests of road safety!).

Re: the handling, how much of an improvement has the R6 shock and....R1?? front end made?

Can't recall exactly the mods, but your front is definitely not standard.

There is a 2003 black/yellow Fazer thou for sale near me. But its got standard bouncy bits.

EDIT: Have to say, black and yellow looks excellent. But I do prefer the red you have!

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Nick... you total bastard. I am so jealous! Mad

Mr. Green

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

Re: the handling, how much of an improvement has the R6 shock and....R1?? front end made?

Can't recall exactly the mods, but your front is definitely not standard.

There is a 2003 black/yellow Fazer thou for sale near me. But its got standard bouncy bits.

At risk of "tl;dr/ Thumbs Down boring" responses:

Oh, it's a revelation compared to standard, no doubt about it. Firstly, the standard rear shocks have always had it by at least 15k miles, and are known to be poor. The first time I replaced one, I went for a Hagon unit; relatively cheap, but still a vast improvement over the knackered original.
But the R6 shock (couldn't tell you which model R6 exactly - a guy on the Fazer forum gets them in hardly used condition from, er, somewhere in the States I think) is much better, has better control. I did this first, on my last Fazer, and was really pleased with how much harder you could push things without it trying to tie itself in knots. You have to remember that this is no sports bike - it's big, and it's comparatively heavy. But the shock meant that I found I was pushing things that much more that I could now detect some flex in the front forks. The standard forks aren't actually that bad, all fully adjustable, and I hadn't had any problems with them up until this point.
So now I went for the fork conversion. The same chap from the Fazer forum had sourced mine from ebay (R1 2003 - which I think would make it the 5PW model). I was lucky, as they had already apparently had the K-Tech treatment (they were advertised as such, the guy who did the conversion reckons they definitely perform better than standard R1 fare, and my local dealer says the caps on the top of the forks are what K-Tech use, and it's definitely not original). I couldn't tell you exactly what they did, but they just suit this bike perfectly as they came. I thought that the rear shock would be a more noticeable improvement - how wrong I was! I cannot fault the suspension on this bike at all. Control, stability, smoothness, response...it's something I struggle to put into words. That a big old bruiser like the Fazer can be this nimble is not something I would have thought possible. You do have to give it more respect than something as light and, well, almost toy-like in comparison, as the Striple. You're approaching corners much faster with the litre engine (also breathed on) obviously, and you have that extra weight to haul down. But with the suspension mods, there is no longer any dive on the front, it isn't rattled if you hit bumps just as you are about to flick in, it shrugs off same when you are committed, no pogoing or other undesirable behaviour from the back.

But I think that's enough rambling from me! Suffice to say in summary that the bike I'm riding, and an all-original Fazer FZS1000 are two very different things, good though the standard machine is generally.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:59 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

Nick... you total bastard. I am so jealous! Mad

Mr. Green

Hands off, it's not for sale!

Oh, you mean the scenery. Yeah, quite nice, isn't it Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visited a few of the usual spots for the first time this year. From Keswick, went through Borrowdale, Honister Pass, Buttermere:

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/DSCN8270_zpsc9cjo5dj.jpg

Out to Cockermouth, down to Wasdale Head:

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/DSCN8276_zpstayrfprp.jpg

Then up onto Birker Fell; Kirk Fell in the background:

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/DSCN8293_zpsugxapedw.jpg

From there to the Wrynose Pass, Langdale, then Ambleside, Keswick and home. About 160 miles.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

down to Wasdale Head:

Since that place took me two attempts to climb (Well, Ilgill head anyway) because the weather was pony both times - second time was just about bearable, in June Laughing I've got respect for anyone that takes a ride round there in March Shocked

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3761/33315739091_16757975d1.jpg

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info boss Thumbs Up

Those pictures and that bike. Achingly beautiful! Just makes me want to go out on the bike now, now now....... then I remember I live in:

https://www.phrases.org.uk/images/gridlock.jpg

Definitely need to pay a visit to Hereford this year, scout the place out a bit as a potential future home.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

down to Wasdale Head:

Since that place took me two attempts to climb (Well, Ilgill head anyway) because the weather was pony both times - second time was just about bearable, in June Laughing I've got respect for anyone that takes a ride round there in March Shocked

I'm afraid I don't deserve that respect for today's ride, arry. It was actually comparatively mild today, good riding conditions, apart from exposed places where it was quite gusty, tops of the passes and on the A595 between Carlisle and the Lakes region. But around the fells, it was mostly quite sheltered, and had some nice sunshine in places. Had a pair of thermals under the jeans, and a wind shirt under the jacket, and I didn't start to feel chilled until on the last leg home, after 5pm.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

Just makes me want to go out on the bike now, now now....... then I remember I live in:

https://www.phrases.org.uk/images/gridlock.jpg

One reason I got fed up with the south, obviously, but I do miss being able to get out more on the bikes through the winter. Hence taking every decent spot of weather now things are beginning to improve. It's strange here in Carlisle. We actually get a fair bit of decent weather through winter, but any direction you head out in, you hit hills after a few miles, and that means snow, ice and fog for most of the season. Although there hasn't been much snow this winter.

Pigeon wrote:
Definitely need to pay a visit to Hereford this year, scout the place out a bit as a potential future home.

Well, if you can find work ok there, I'd say it's a good area to be based from a biking point of view. Raids over the border into Wales! I'm planning a few days in Wales myself later this year - I do miss it.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'm planning a few days in Wales myself later this year - I do miss it.

If you do, would be good to say hello if you don't mind a visitor for a bit?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
I'm planning a few days in Wales myself later this year - I do miss it.

If you do, would be good to say hello if you don't mind a visitor for a bit?

Only thing is, when I go is likely to be a last minute decision based on weather forecasts Rolling Eyes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three days on the trot riding around the Lake District in March, and no rain, snow or ice to be seen. Well, that's it then. Global warming is FACT.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Well, that's it then. Global warming is FACT.

And brilliant! Bring it on please. Margate will become the new English Riviera.......maybe not.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as far as I wanted to. Did about 10 miles in just under 6 hours.

3:30pm Take the bike for a spin
4:00pm Bike dies, refuses to restart
4:30pm Give up trying to restart it, call the RAC
5:10pm RAC attend. They can't start it either, so call for recovery, ETA 6:20pm
6:10pm RAC report ETA now 7:50pm
7:30pm RAC report ETA now 8:20pm
8:25pm Recovery arrive
9:15pm Home
9:16pm Beer
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was yesterday...

Had a wonderful trip with these bastards around the Beacons.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/17349679_10155221889394374_1994056710122873830_o.jpg?oh=a707edb73436103f22a5a029eacc3b34&oe=592E70F9

https://scontent-lhr3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/17265306_243191329422074_4446894956572835840_n.jpg

https://scontent-lhr3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/17265777_1036611659806121_4253949005408501760_n.jpg

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacked work off yesterday at 10.30am because it was such a nice day.. Sun Sun Sun

Ended up doing the Box hill - A24 - A29 - A272 to Loomies route and all the twisties back home again after. Didn't get back until nearly 5pm..

Dance!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 16 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:

Cool! I'd like a Beta 300RR but worried it will be too much for me?

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:20 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

That is one very smart looking bike Thumbs Up

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 19 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Still enjoying yours?

Aye, it's a class bike Thumbs Up Going to be fitting a bigger Puig screen today. Got new brake pads to fit also (which cost £96 for geniune Brembo's Sick ) and need to pull my finger out and get the big service done.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 145, 146, 147  Next
Page 84 of 147