Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where you been on your bike Today

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 145, 146, 147  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 02 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick ride to Abergaveny, didn't fancy going any further today.

Saw this bike there which was pretty cool you can see the exhaust has stacks on the back of it.

https://i.imgur.com/omJFWt0.jpg

Then got a photo of the k up at Raglan castle, way too many bikes though to get an image of the castle included.

https://i.imgur.com/XLVEAOp.jpg

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hartside, as always, the weather was glorious though, if we had set off earlier I'd have done the Lakes too.

https://i.imgur.com/zInsYmW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Z6FQjbW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NrfTTAW.jpg

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the Enfield out today, so went and got some dogfood Smile

https://tony-home.no-ip.org/bikes/ROYAL_ENFIELD_BULLET_350_2006_20170403_Doolittles_1.jpg

All in about 30 miles ride on it today, so not too bad. Wolverhampton, then around Womborne, Halfpenny Green, Bridgnorth etc

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down to Sussex on the sportbike yesterday,together with a few friends

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Bikes/20170402_151041_zpsgqxn7hjb.jpg

First ride on the R1 since October 2016 Dance!

Always have a 'Plan B'

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nipped out at lunch to test ride an S1000R "Sport".

Street Triple £7.3k + £250 on suspension + £300 on exhaust
180kg (I lost the big can, but stuck a topbox on...)
105bhp
51lb torque

S1kR £12.5k
205kg
165bhp
83lb torque

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170403%20-%20S1000R/20170403_130733.resized_zpsfsivrgwj.jpg

I liked:
Seamed well balanced, neutral, instantly felt at home and confident.
Quickshifter was excellent.
Lots of instant shove.
Around town it was a bit too quiet, but once revving I thought it sounded great.
I liked the idea of pressing a button and the suspension just firming up. In "dynamic" mode, its supposed to actively monitor the road.
Screen did a good job.
Brakes were incredible!

Didn't like:
Switchgear, just toooo many feckin buttons.
Indicator button annoyingly small.
LCD screen seemed low quality and some of it tricky to read.
Once pressed, the suspension gave up on my 16st. According to MCN, the S1kr handles better than an MT10 on stock settings. If that's true, I'm not going to bother test riding an MT10. It was pogoing coming out of fast corners, then tying itself in knots on fast straights. I didn't think I was being over ham fisted, wasn't going any quicker than I'd have been on my Striple. Steering damper probably would have helped with the head shake, but not the pogo.
Switched to Dynamic and......it was a tiny bit improved, but not massively.
Extra weight was noticeable in the twisties, it felt more planted and less eventful.
Gearbox was very agricultural. Nothing like the slick Triumph box. A couple of times I went for a gear (using clutch) and found only the gear I was in.

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170403%20-%20S1000R/20170403_130752.resized_zps20zldtuo.jpg

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170403%20-%20S1000R/20170403_131125.resized_zpsdzsdo1qq.jpg

Left Guildford around 18:30 on my Striple and went down the A3 to Petersfield, along the A272 to Winchester, turned around and came back along the A272 to Wisborough Green. Was dark and cold towards the end. But another 115 miles, much of it on a deserted A272 carving the bends with my underpowered 600 singing away. Striple really does feel / handle like a 250 in comparison and is fun because of it.

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170403%20-%20S1000R/20170403_191441.resized_zpshuz207ry.jpg

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170403%20-%20S1000R/20170403_191449.resized_zpswdksc15t.jpg

Watched Top Gear and Chris Harris was given an award for the fastest driver. It was a Pigeon award Mr. Green

.......might have also been because he produces the most crap Laughing

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170403%20-%20S1000R/20170403_221639.resized_zpsbe5nvcxl.jpg

Going to try the S1000RR this week. Could have been today, except that someone just crashed it as I was talking to the salesman Shocked

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RR today in the sunshine.

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170403%20-%20S1000R/20170405_130947.resized_zps8vtylpw2.jpg

Initially I cried in despair at how inflexible I was and how uncomfortable I found the riding position.
6ft2 16st fat bald men spending all day sat at a desk perhaps are not the ideal candidates.

But persevered and interestingly it felt much better in "race" mode.
Pootled about for an hour, did 50 miles.

Clearly more bike than I will ever be capable of using, but I quite enjoyed it and even felt some immediate affinity with it.
By many, the RR is considered too boring, too clinical, Germanic soulless engineering, ugly looks and a wonky eye. I felt a good match Smile

Perhaps most importantly, unlike the R, the suspension felt right. Bike wasn't bucking and weaving.
Didn't think much of the quality of finish. It all looked and felt cheap compared to my Triumph.

Anyway, will test ride a few more if allowed. Yamaha, Honda and Ducati are all within reach Very Happy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

Thread is called "Where you been on YOUR bike today" Wink Laughing
RR looks ugly in black.

Pigeon wrote:
Anyway, will test ride a few more if allowed. Yamaha, Honda and Ducati are all within reach Very Happy

Is this all about looking for your next bike, or just trying them out of curiosity?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Thread is called "Where you been on YOUR bike today" Wink Laughing
RR looks ugly in black.

I can post a pick of my 20bhp dirt bike outside the dealership. Quite surprised they let me into the showroom, let alone leave with one of their bikes Smile

I like it in black. I like the black/grey more. I like the Msport colours even more. I like the black + yellow R1 even more than that.

chickenstrip wrote:

Is this all about looking for your next bike, or just trying them out of curiosity?

This is the next bike. I finished paying the finance on my Striple last September and blew up my SV in Jan. So seems an ok time to get into hock again with the bank / supermarket and sign the next 4 years away.......and probably my license Laughing

Just want to try several bikes first. Made a promising start at least.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

I like it in black.

Maybe it's just that photo, but it looks shapeless and undefined. I still like the earlier blue/white ones, but haven't bothered to look if the shape has changed much since then.

Pigeon wrote:
This is the next bike. I finished paying the finance on my Striple last September and blew up my SV in Jan. So seems an ok time to get into hock again with the bank / supermarket and sign the next 4 years away

Yeah, that's how I used to do it. Can't afford to be in debt nowadays though. I might be slightly jealous.

So you tried the S1000R, which I can understand, given the kind of riding you do. But the RR? Was that really part of looking for the next bike?
Can we expect a "what bike" thread soon? Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applaud the initiative to try different stuff, whether it fits the intended brief or not. There's so much choice, and so much variety even within any given genre. So if you're prepared to spend the money, then damn right, try whatever you can, of whatever you find in any way interesting. Dealers have demo bikes for a reason, and IME they often don't even expect a serious buyer. And that's actually fine by them. For dealers (and the manufacturers who subsidise demo bikes), it's about promoting awareness and accessibility of the brand. Dealers have sometimes encouraged me to take bikes for a test ride despite knowing that I have absolutely no interest in buying that model. You don't know what you'll like unless you try it, and in doing so, you might well find that what you want isn't what you thought you would want.

I'll be interested to see what you settle on. But you might as well enjoy the choosing.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

So you tried the S1000R, which I can understand, given the kind of riding you do. But the RR? Was that really part of looking for the next bike?
Can we expect a "what bike" thread soon? Smile

haha, no "what bike" thread you'll be pleased to hear. Let's just skip to the bit where I would have ignored all the advice and done the opposite.

I was after a bike as light (or lighter) than the Striple but with more power. I'd used a Daytona for a day, and it wasn't that big a jump.
So GSXR750. Been talking about it for last couple of years.
Tried to get a test ride last week and could not. BMW are just up the road and thought, what the heck, why not try.

Initially it was just a simple numbers thing. I prefer the look of the RR. It's "only" 15% more (over 4 years that not massive) and only 30bhp more than the R. Same peak torque figure, in fact it's not as front loaded as the R, so at lower revs its more docile.

Then there was the garage door effect. Lift it and see the R. First thought is not wow. But.....mmmm why did I not get the RR.
Lift the door and see the RR, it's not sexy, but it is a bit naughty and that makes me smile Smile

Then there was the surprise bit, which was the R's handling. It wasn't good when pressing on a little. I'm not buying a bike to tinker with and tweak. The bouncy bits have to be good from day 1 stock. The RR was fine. In rain mode is was soft, push a button and it was pretty near spot on, push again and in race mode it was how I would have it all day everywhere pretty much. Having hated the idea of electronic wizzadry, I thought that was mega. And the quickshifter and auto-blipper, all things I would never thought I'd be interested in, but made me grin.

This year, less tinkering more riding.

Shortly after last years BBQ I had a bit of a mental wobble (unrelated) and the last 7 months haven't been the best. I think at this point, I'm down to the "fuck it, just do it if it feels right" point.

Last edited by Pigeon on 23:14 - 05 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with Honda if you're in a 'f*ck it' mood. They're all boring. And that's coming from someone who's owned 12 Honda motorcycles. The last exciting, challenging (and beautifully engineered/built) performance bike they made was the SP-2. They've now stamped 'fun' out of their range altogether as far as I can tell, including the Fireblade.

Which Ducati model(s) are you going to try?

What about the new KTM 1290 SDR?

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
Don't bother with Honda if you want the 'f*ck it' factor. They're all boring. And that's coming from someone who's owned 11 Honda motorcycles. The last exciting, challenging (and beautifully engineered/built) performance bike they made was the SP-2. They've now stamped 'fun' out of their range altogether as far as I can tell, including the Fireblade.

What Ducati are you going to try?

What about the new KTM 1290 SDR?

The 1993 Fireblade was the one that blew my 13yr old mind when saw it in the street. But having had the opportunity to buy one, I passed on it because I'd rather not know what a 24yr old bike in reality is.

The SP2, haha, thats the one I would have loved to have. Love vtwins, love the SP2. Still have the Bayliss and Edwards 2002 Imola race on DVD I think.

P&H Motorcycles do both Ducati and KTM, so will see what they are willing to do. But yeah, 1299 and 1290 if possible.

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice reviews, it's always good to hear real world opinions.

I've recently gone back to a 675 and I'm really happy with my descision. I was tempted by the BMW's but for reasons similar to you I never pulled the trigger.

I would recommend trying the Tuono 1100 as that V4 is something every biker should have the pleasure of experiencing. Don't bother with the 899/959 as it's no faster than the Daytona despite the hike in power.
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
But yeah, 1299 and 1290 if possible.

If you try the KTM first, you'll think it's a riot, until you try the Ducati. If you try the Ducati first, you'll think the KTM is second rate. I suspect the new KTM is improved, but the problem with the original was that it was a bit heavy and soft, and didn't live up to the 'Beast' marketing tagline. Meanwhile, the Ducati 1199/1299 engine is the real deal, and the bikes weigh less than a Street Triple! But that's the thing. It's a superbike, and (sadly) you won't get a truly comparable super naked.

Last edited by Alex A on 23:44 - 05 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAMSXR wrote:
Tuono 1100 as that V4 is something every biker should have the pleasure of experiencing.

Heard a Tuono with SP Engineering (I think) can. It was incredible.

Added to the list Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:05 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I'd be trying an MT10 pretty early on. A face only a mother could love, but sounds like a hoot. And the Tuono V4 would also be high on the the "to try" list. But you gotta go with what floats your own boat Smile
Bikes should always be bought with the heart (but a little bit of research first, just to make sure it won't be a total blind date disaster). Crack on! Will be interesting to see what you wind up with, and how you get along with whatever it is.

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:52 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not today, but...

Livingston to Callander, Lochearnhead, Crieff, Dunkeld via the Sma Glen and home. Horribly busy until the Sma Glen, glorious there on. Somebody tried to kill me mid-overtake coming back from Dunkeld. I was overtaking a line of three cars on a huge straight. Middle car, a beaten up old Clio, pulled out on me, no indication whatsoever, to initiate its own overtake while I was about six feet from his rear bumper. I'd usually nail past but I had a feeling about him and had the brakes covered. Sixth sense, bruh.

Raised my hand when I was along side him in a, 'WTF was that?', type gesture. From the look on his face he clearly had absolutely no idea what had just happened.

Cool story is cool.

Pictures from Comrie.

https://i67.tinypic.com/2mn2o1w.jpg

https://i66.tinypic.com/2lbgvpc.jpg

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode to Guildford on XR250.........ok it was work, but still got out in the sunsheeeine at lunch.

Yes, that's a herd of cows getting out a Canal boat.

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170406%20-%20Dusky%20hoonary/20170406_133426.resized_zpsv0z9ltem.jpg

Had a disagreeable afternoon at work. Was proper vexed blud.
Came home, hoped on the Striple and went for an evening hoon across the A25 to Boxhill, down the A24, onto the A29, up Berry Hill to Whiteways cafe.

Have to say, I'm seeing some of my local roads in a new light (literally). And you know what, they are pretty fantastic Cool

Still in love with this bike (pics just after 8pm).

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170406%20-%20Dusky%20hoonary/20170406_200433.resized_zps55yauud2.jpg

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170406%20-%20Dusky%20hoonary/20170406_200128.resized_zpssxnq3kbd.jpg

80 miles. 50 of those were mega, which is highly unusual for round here.

When I got home, karma reminded me who's boss with an exploded beer can in my Topbox Laughing

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a look up to Cofeelicious in Bedlington and then pushed onto Kielder reservoir...

https://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab232/copycat73/20170408_122935.jpg

https://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab232/copycat73/20170408_153952.jpg

Mr. Green

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out to fill the bike up with super unleaded after almost running it dry last night having a hoon with my mate
on the back. I prefer super because it pops and bangs a bit more. Then did 30 odd childish and noisy miles in the
general vicinity of Bristol, then came home and whipped my numberboards off ready for new vinyls.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:43 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like sunny weekends - too much traffic. But I went for a spin around the Lake District anyway, as it would have been criminal to waste such beautiful weather. About 120 miles with just the one coffee stop. No pics, as you've seen em all before, and the weather didn't offer any particularly interesting light variations today.
The Fazer really needs its service (booked for later this month) - carbs are getting way out of sync, runs a bit lumpy at low revs at the moment.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Pennines:

https://s18.postimg.org/oq5x2x809/1.jpg

https://s27.postimg.org/vuqhk2bhv/image.jpg

No traffic here. Just lambs.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:

No traffic here. Just lambs.

I did consider heading that way instead, but I didn't feel like going too far, and wasn't particularly in hooning mode anyway. I like to head to the Lakes cos there's always the scenery to gawp at if you don't get clear roads, and I'm addicted to mountain scenery. Plus, it's warmer there than up on the Pennines generally, which I'll head for more as summer advances probably.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
Don't bother with Honda if you're in a 'f*ck it' mood. They're all boring.?

See I just don't get this sentiment.

I buzz my absolute tits off every time I ride either of mine. I ride hard enough to get the adrenaline going and I'm never disappointed.

If it's a case of they have less bhp than the equivalent from another manufacturer then surely that makes the point null and void as any other bike with less power would fall under the same banner.

If it's power delivery, then... Well I wouldn't really understand why because my CBR screams out of the mid-range into the higher revs, just like any other inline 4 with vaguely similar fuelling/ignition mapping (or carb setup). Likewise the VTR wants to flip itself over right from the 3K rpm mark, somewhat just like any other V-Twin (perhaps less aggressively maybe, but then that goes back to point one about bhp (and torque) figures.

If it's riding geometry and suspension then I don't really have an argument about that because I really don't care much for chassis setup. I can ride anything in any setup and still have FUN.

If it's looks or anything superficial then that just makes the whole "boring" point further null and void. I care little for how things look. So long as the go good.

Not taking a pop at you good sir. More that I see/hear it all the time and I REALLY don't get it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 355 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 145, 146, 147  Next
Page 86 of 147