Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Using a GPS on a motorbike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:56)
View previous topic : View next topic  

tgabber
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:11 - 09 Jun 2004    Post subject: Using a GPS on a motorbike Reply with quote

I use a handheld GPS receiver (a Garmin GPSMap76S) to find my way around when out on my bike. At the moment I simply slip it into the map pocket of my tankbag, holding it in place with a couple of pieces of velcro.

While this works it is not ideal as, depending what else is in the tank bag, combined with the plastic of the pocket it can sometimes make the display difficult to read.

Ideally I'd like a proper mount on my bike (a ZZR600E) and possibly a hook-up to the battery as well so that I could use it illuminated at night.

A net search threw up this:

https://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/viewprod.php?product_id=1866

does anyone have any experience of it? Is it a universal fit?

Alternatively has anyone succeeded with a home built solution?

Ta,

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 09 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone that strapped a Compaq Ipaq with TomTom Nav Software to a Divvy.

He hooked it up to the battery somehow, I think he bodged a cig lighter to it some how and used a Compaq Incar charger kit to hook it up If I remember rightly. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 09 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been useing gps on my cx for a bit now, its incredably usefull...

https://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~noriba74/images/bike/cxbars.jpg

The mounting bracket is a little pricy and from RAM mounting systems - search them on google, theres a few distributors in the us where i got mine, there may be a uk place by now i got mine from aerostitch they are absoloutely fantastic, i wouldn't trust anything less to be honest..

The power connector is a standard garmin cigy plug (ebay £10) pluged into a cigarette lighter plug (£5 from a auto store or 50p from a breakers, if not less)
The cigy plug is wired into the rear lights via a low ampage fuse (3ish i think it was) so it can only come on with the ignition, but you can find another suitable wire if you wan't, my lights stay on most of the time.. then earthed to the frame.

Its as easy as that, the plug is hidden under a space near my clocks for when i need it.

The main reason i would only use a ram mount is that they absorb most of the vibes, which could potentially kill your gps, not only that they are sturdy enough to hang a laptop off, or a video camera (the one i have on there is a small light digicam but it will take the weight of a much larger camera, tested both!)...

Hope thats helpfull Wink

tgabber
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:47 - 09 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zero.

I'm tempted by the Touratech mount I linked to as they do say it's fully damped. However my main concern is that on the ZZR there is no 'free' handlebar space as such so not quite sure if it would fit.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gallery/sport_gpsmount.html

Theres some ideas on there as to alternatives, you could mount them then (possibly with slightly longer bolts on some bits...

https://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~noriba74/images/bike/zzrbars.jpg

on some of these bits perhaps? just use your imagination, provided they are not torque bolts, important ones anyways you should be fine, you'd be amazed what you can get away with :p Very Happy

I was thinking of a tourtech one but they are a bit over the top for me, if i was useing it everyday i would have, but the ram mount was way better than i though, infinately adjustable, solid as anything and quick to fit on or take off (even with bulky gloves on) only problem was haveing to get them from the us, but with the $ so weak i got loads of other stuff for cheep while i was at it Very Happy

Some to look at here too...
https://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.filereader?40c78abc00df2214271ed1f0ec0706ac+EN/catalogs/1161

tgabber
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:42 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cycoactive link is absolutely champion mate, just what I was looking for, thanks.

DukeRed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when it rains though? Don't they just fizzle and die? Or are GPS's waterproof?

Jan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
SDR This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

tgabber
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:25 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

DukeRed wrote:
What happens when it rains though? Don't they just fizzle and die? Or are GPS's waterproof?

Jan

Depends on the make/model. Lots of handhelds are made with hikers/boaters in mind so are indeed weatherproof.

My particular model is not only waterproof but will float if immersed in water... Smile

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

tgabber wrote:
My particular model is not only waterproof but will float if immersed in water... Smile

Does that make wheelie's easier in the rain? Laughing

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

tgabber wrote:
The cycoactive link is absolutely champion mate, just what I was looking for, thanks.

No probs, do let me know if you find a uk distributor from ram tho Thumbs Up

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 15:39 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how much is that GPS unit, how easy is it to use?

Can you literally type in a post code or place on the move and it tell you exactly where to go, where to turn, what road to take etc.

Can you program from PC? i.e pre-program and exact route taking certain ways etc to different places, i.e bike meets etc.

I kind of need a GPS unit as I get lost far too easily Confused

I have to go to Southampton next week (I think) for my business exam Shocked and have never really been there before so really don't have much of a clue where I'm going.

So far I've printed 3 maps, 2 lots of directions and some other bits, and it's not even till the 22nd of this month Laughing bet I still get lost Rolling Eyes

GPS would be handy, would mean I could actually go places and get actually make it there for once Laughing

It'd be nice too if I could program routes on my pc for rideouts and stuff Thumbs Up

Please help if you can Smile

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

YamsR6 wrote:
So, how much is that GPS unit, how easy is it to use?

Can you literally type in a post code or place on the move and it tell you exactly where to go, where to turn, what road to take etc.

If your spending about £500 the street pilots will do, but you can do this with your pc and a copy of auto route and it will do the exact same job, you just need to do it before hand..

Quote:
Can you program from PC? i.e pre-program and exact route taking certain ways etc to different places, i.e bike meets etc.

Yep, just through auto route or the garmin software, the garmin will plot your waypoints out then you just follow it like a dot to dot, you can sort of do it on auto route, you just have to put them in manualy.

Quote:

I kind of need a GPS unit as I get lost far too easily Confused

I have to go to Southampton next week (I think) for my business exam Shocked and have never really been there before so really don't have much of a clue where I'm going.

So far I've printed 3 maps, 2 lots of directions and some other bits, and it's not even till the 22nd of this month Laughing bet I still get lost Rolling Eyes

GPS would be handy, would mean I could actually go places and get actually make it there for once Laughing

IF you can afford to get a garmin, reason is they are pritty much the only ones that will withstand being straped to the front of a motorbike..

The GPS III + is the one i have, you can put in a limited number of routes and uk basemap, so you can have most of the uk main roads (motorway and A roads) and a limited detail maps (streemaps with names and everything).

The gps V is better, slightly more (look on ebay for prices, DONT buy one new it will cost twice as much, these are built to last so its unlikely you will get a duff one)
It have a memory cartrage you can get for it so you can pritty much has as much stuff as you can afford in memory cards... and its got a bloooo screen too Very Happy

How much are you willing to fork out for one?

Another cool thing is knowing where you have been, like...

https://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QwAAAEIUb7nz1BCk9boVYL5NEf68jM5Nc0wuUryU*18jOedvxnGAAg3hddXXPHg5Cxq2uxBZGcp2Boe68X5o6Y6L68OWEEKt4TQUD*G08is/rideout.jpg?dc=4675474133553379892

Oh good luck with the exam Cool sooo glad iv'e got mine finished! and i only had one ^_^

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 16:50 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have one exam too, pretty crap one really but least I get a bit of paper to say I can do business admin and a crap IT one, better than nowt and will be alright until I get off my arse and do the A+ IT exam!!

I don't know how much I'd want to spend, might find a copy of auto route first anyway, as that'll be handy I guess, can't see how it's much different to www.multimap.co.uk though.

Looking at electronics catalogue, would getting a PDA with a GPS attachment and using the auto route software for it, be ideal?

Looks a lot cheaper than the garmin options?

I'm not realling in a rush for it, something more important comes first Wink but it would be very handy.

tgabber
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:57 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Garmin GPSMap76S is fairly top-end so costs around 400 quid(!) new, however the Garmin Etrex Legend which does most of the same stuff is only(!) about 175 new.

Link to PC is via USB/serial cable. All modern Garmin GPSs use the same Mapsource PC software, however you can buy different map sets with different levels of detail. Their Metro guides for instance enable you to search by street name whereas the Roads & Recreation series is more, well, roads and recreation... There are also now some alternatives to the branded software appearing which can work out much cheaper.

As Zero says, the logging info is useful and enlightening. However much I try I can't get my average speed in inner London above about 20mph over any sort of journey. Still a lot better than a car though!

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gps III+ was £160 off ebay, you can get them slightly cheeper... the mounting bracket was £40 ish..

The pda option i looked into, i have a tungsten allready, it simply would not put up with being used outside of a bag, even in a bag condensation might get to it... neither woudl any pda really tbh, you might get away with it untill it rained, then your in the poo... and then you have to power it within its bag, not to mention useing a stylus with bike gloves on Shocked ... thats just me though, might suite some perfectly...

The garmin software can be got if you look hard enough... roads and recs are what i use (the metro guide maps are too big to fit on mine, which is why extra memory capability would be nice) i tend to use a combination of autoroute and the garmin stuff...

Its nice to know where you are if you go totaly the wrong way, you just find where you went wrong and follow your line back, or just plot out another route and follow then new one.. (you might find yourself geting lost on prupose sometimes just out of morbid curiosity, it stops being annoying or scarey)

I ended up takeing a 50mile detour (wasn't paying attention to the gps) so decided to work my way back through stokeish to buxton then back home, it was really easy, as you have the place names on the map too, so you plot the place names and follow the road signs, or just guess you way there going in the direction of your destination... unless you have the detail map and you follow that...

All of this can obviously done with a map, its just allot easyer this way, you can see your map all the time, its backlit, it will give you 100% accurate speed too which is handy (especially if your speedo cable snaps) the main thing though is it eliminates that "hmm is it this turn off or the next one... arse it was that one" then a 10 mile detour

I'd like chance to REALLY use it though when touring.. that would be fun Very Happy

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a GPS V

on the bike I use it mainly for logging top speed (although strangely it doesn't seem to want to go above 194mph so may become redundant very soon)

it also does turn by turn navigation and route calculation to house numbers

although it doesn't have enough memory to do the whole UK in one go and downloading the maps to it is a bit of a pain

on the whole OK as long as it will read more than 194mph - will try again on sunday Shocked

tgabber
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:02 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look on Ebay and found this:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4668&item=5703098661&rd=1

It's a Garmin Emap, which is the model I had prior to my current one and can thoroughly recommend. At the time of writing with just under 5 hours on the auction to go it's 51 quid. If it finishes at anything under a 100 it will be a real bargain.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 18:22 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will that do all what I want it to do then?

i.e. put in a post code and get turn by turn (ish) instructions etc etc etc?

That's basically what I want it for is 1) to tell me exactly where I'm going and 2) if I get lost then I can easily find my location and plot a route back home etc...

£51 looks a good price, if it goes for below £70 I may be tempted if you get a reply in convincing me it's decent Very Happy

I didn't realise the one that zero has was as cheap as £160, I thought they were all £350 ++++

It would do me temporarily until I can go and get one of the bigger better ones anyway

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will certainly do 1 and 2, the postcode bit would depend son the software i think, tgabber has had one so he will be able to tell you...

You can get gps for £60, slightly more will get you one with a basic map, mine was £160 and you can put a limited ammount of data on (most of derbyshire and a bit of notts) and most of englands main roads...

Hopefully will have me a better one at some point, yes they can be pricey but i'd not buy one new, they are so sturdy you could knock the **** out of them and they would still be fine (any abuse you would see from scratches on the screen, pritty much the only damage you will do unless you run it over or drop it off a cliff).

I suppose it depends on how many miles you do as to weather its worth spending allot, i did ok with an etrex for quite a while, but haveing a basic map was better, and detail maps are REALLY good to have...

Dont forget you will need..

mounting kit
data cable
cigy lighter adapter
cigy lighter

tgabber
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:36 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do searches by postcode/address on the unit itself if you have the Metro maps loaded *I think* (it's over a year now since I owned that model myself). However any directions given by that method are 'as the crow flys' The usual way I use mine is to plan the route first on the PC then download it to the GPS to follow directions.

I can point you in the right direction for the maps if you do get the unit.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 18:37 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can get the same one as zero's (gps III+) for £160 I reckon that would do me?

How much more is the version with the memory cards?

It's the detailed maps that I thought would be most usefull.

I guess I could fit Hampshire and Southampton etc detailed maps onto a III +? then change bits if I was going further afield?

I don't really understand these GPS units to be honest.

Mounting wise I was going to try and get a bracket made so that it mounts with a bracket held by the top yoke nut so the unit sits just above the yoke??

tgabber
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:47 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Emap takes memory cards (the one in the auction has a 16Mb one) More recent models just have a larger builtin memory and so don't need them.

I had a 32Mb memory card with my Emap and could load in detail maps for all of England from about Manchester south. You can of course load in different map areas specific to your journey. The Metro maps that allow searching by streetname take up more storage.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gps tgabber posted would probably be a better bet actually! more memory would mean you can use metro guide maps (more detailed, i.e. place names mainly, not a huge difference but still better)

I'm sure somebody here will be able to help you find the software too...

The gps III+ is a good unit but i would prefer one with more memory as is, currently i do what you suggested and upload them as i need them, really unless you get a street pilot you need to put in your route on the pc, not a bit deal and easy enough to do... say if i was going up to the lakes i'd put in any areas i'm unfamiliar with and miss out any allong the motorway (as i wouldn't need them really) if you have the basic map in the background you don't get any big gaps in the map so its not a big deal...

I'd not reccomend makeing your own diy brackett, unless you can dampen it sufficiently you will find your gps turning off or even damaged by the intense vibes/shocks from the road, like i said the ram mounts are a reasonable price for how solid they are and they protect you gear, somebody here used it for work on equipment worth thousands Shocked
In fact a mate of mine used it for his last job on a gps unit worth £4000, so, its pritty good stuff Very Happy

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 18:52 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for all the questions!!

I'm seriously tempted by that emap auction now Confused

The price doesn't seem too bad and if you say I can put full detail maps for the south of england on there on a 32 mb card Shocked then two cards and thats the whole of England in detail right?

So I take it, that auction comes with software that I can sit here on my PC, program a few routes to specific post codes (on PC?) and then download to the unit itself and be able to pull them up when required.

Does it then show you on screen to turn left/right etc etc whilst moving? Or is it literally just an electronic map that you can look at and have it tell you where you are etc?

It would be nice to have something that actually tells you where your going etc, the small emap one would be difficult to mount on my bike but it looks small and portable so can be used off the bike too and would make do until I require something better.

It sounds like it can do everything I need, if it can hold detail maps for the whole south of england, that should do me for what I'll ever need it for!!

The aim is to be able to program a route, from my house/location to another house/location easily and to be able to get there easily by it telling me where to go etc and also be a reference for planning ahead.

A computer software version where I could, for instance, plan rideouts then follow it on the GPS whilst out riding would be cool! (good way to share routes as well!!)

What is the screen like whilst riding though??

It looks small Confused will you see it whilst riding easily? if mounted on the dash.

Cheers and sorry for the questions Embarassed

Also, a way maybe for me to explain this a bit better is..

If I was blindfolded, and taken to the middle of the country, somewhere I don't know, haven't a clue where I was, could I use the emap to easily find my way directly back to my house, just with that unit out in the middle of no where?

Does that make sense? lol Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2