Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Using a GPS on a motorbike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:56)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:55 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fancy in car GPS. No particular reason, I certainly don't need it, but it looks shiny.

Anyone know of one with a reasonable size screen for under 500 quid?

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:00 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby, from searching around the net for info on this emap, on garmins website they have the street pilot

https://www.garmin.com/products/spIII/

That looks pretty sweet, from memory, they are £899 retail but I'm 99% sure they've dropped to the £500/600 mark new (for the basic version of the colour model) thats from memory in Makro or something though so don't quote me on that, but I know for sure they are £500 brand new buy it nows on ebay

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole of the london area is about 25mb onthe metro guide set and about 8 on the roads and rec set.. you can the whole of the uk on my 1.5mb memory on the basic map (motorways and a roads)

It depends on what areas most of the peaks is about 200k or something, town areas of the same size use up considerably more...

The screen is probaly the same or biger than mine, you have to be carefull when you take a glance at it, in traffic is the best time (provided your not moveing obviously) just like glanceing at your speedo, if you need to do allot on it pullup, i do tend to push buttons on it while on the move but i know which ones and how many presses it needs by now Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Quote:
If I was blindfolded, and taken to the middle of the country, somewhere I don't know, haven't a clue where I was, could I use the emap to easily find my way directly back to my house, just with that unit out in the middle of no where?

As long as you have a strong signal (which is not a problem most of the time) then yes it will tell you where you are up to a few meters accuracy, same with any gps really...

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:06 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The MetroGuide provides detail down to house numbers in streets in metropolitan areas and most towns, as well as local sites and facilities of interest. It also shows major roads and some rail lines. Only a sub-section of the UK can be stored in the memory card at a time - the greater London area occupies the whole 8MB, for example - but 16MB cards are also available, enabling you to store two or more regions in your eMap at a time.

In use, there is a Star Trek Tricorder novelty about using the eMap. It can tell you where and how high you are and be used to find and guide you to your destination by entering details like the name of a place, even the street address or conventional latitude and longitude co-ordinates. You can mark your own 'waypoints', create routes and copy this information to your PC for use with dozens of free, shareware and commercial applications. The eMap will work with applications like Microsoft's AutoRoute Express, for example. Many pocket computers will also work with the eMap, given a suitable cable and software.

That seems to say that it will guide you i.e tell you to turn left/right etc etc and go here there etc based on your way points, it also says you can search by address etc, it says "copy to your pc" so i assume by the way it says that, you can do all the searching for addresses etc on the GPS unit itself.

Think if this stays under £100 , I'm going to go for it and see how I get on.

I presume this can definetly be plugged into a cigarette lighter thing that I can bodge onto my bikes electrics somehow Smile

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:
I fancy in car GPS. No particular reason, I certainly don't need it, but it looks shiny.

Anyone know of one with a reasonable size screen for under 500 quid?

For a car i'd think about the gps/pda option, get an sd card and you have yourself an mp3 player too Very Happy

The dedicated ones are far better though, less fiddley, only one thing to carry not several things and several wires... you could stick it on your bike if you felt like it too Thumbs Up

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:12 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked on that website with the mounting systems on, they do a yoke mount which fits the R1 and I'm 99% sure that will fit the R6 perfectly as the R6 also has a hole through the centre yoke.

The only thing I don't like with the eMap is that it is phone shaped and not a rectangle like the III plus... which will mean it won't mount quite so well. But should still fit fine onto the centre yoke and not be in the way or anything I hope.

tgabber
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:14 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

YamsR6 wrote:
Sorry for all the questions!!

I'm seriously tempted by that emap auction now Confused

The price doesn't seem too bad and if you say I can put full detail maps for the south of england on there on a 32 mb card Shocked then two cards and thats the whole of England in detail right?

The catch here is that the Garmin memory cards are proprietry, expensive and quite difficult to get hold of... Easier just to swap the maps around on one card as needed

YamsR6 wrote:

So I take it, that auction comes with software that I can sit here on my PC, program a few routes to specific post codes (on PC?) and then download to the unit itself and be able to pull them up when required.

It's not clear on that auction whether the software is included, but don't worry you'll get sorted...

YamsR6 wrote:

Does it then show you on screen to turn left/right etc etc whilst moving? Or is it literally just an electronic map that you can look at and have it tell you where you are etc?

If you're following a route then the route is highlighted on the map and each time you get to a turning point you've marked on the route an 'Approaching turn' warning will pop up (although this can be quite easy to miss as it disappears fairly quickly). Most usefully I find though is that when route following you get an arrow showing you the direction you should be going in. If this arrow is not pointing approximately straight ahead then you know you've missed a turn!

YamsR6 wrote:

It would be nice to have something that actually tells you where your going etc, the small emap one would be difficult to mount on my bike but it looks small and portable so can be used off the bike too and would make do until I require something better.

It sounds like it can do everything I need, if it can hold detail maps for the whole south of england, that should do me for what I'll ever need it for!!

The aim is to be able to program a route, from my house/location to another house/location easily and to be able to get there easily by it telling me where to go etc and also be a reference for planning ahead.

A computer software version where I could, for instance, plan rideouts then follow it on the GPS whilst out riding would be cool! (good way to share routes as well!!)

What is the screen like whilst riding though??

It looks small Confused will you see it whilst riding easily? if mounted on the dash.

Never mounted the Emap myself, just used it in the map pocket of my tankbag. I think it actually had a slightly clearer display than my current model. Other than using the navigation arrow, if I got a bit lost and wanted to study it in detail I would always pull over.

YamsR6 wrote:

Cheers and sorry for the questions Embarassed

Also, a way maybe for me to explain this a bit better is..

If I was blindfolded, and taken to the middle of the country, somewhere I don't know, haven't a clue where I was, could I use the emap to easily find my way directly back to my house, just with that unit out in the middle of no where?

Does that make sense? lol Laughing

Well, unless the blindfold was taken off, you couldn't see the emap... Laughing But if it was (and you had a working set of batteries) then yes, you should have no problem finding your way home. Providing you know where 'home' is of course...

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:19 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this unit looks ideal.

I'm going to put a bid in if it's under £80ish.

If it doesn't come with the detailed software, is there any chance you could ermm, make me a "back up" copy? Laughing

I think I'm asking too much of the unit itself lol for what I want the street pilot seems to be the answer, but theres no way I'm spending that much money on something that's mainly only to find my way around easier. I'm not thick and can use a map etc and obviously happy to pull over, memorise some of the journey etc just by looking at the map itself rather than plotting routes.

Think it would be most handy when going on longer distance journeys to places I've never been before, and of course, pre-planning rideouts as I keep mentioning.

From a write up I've just read, the emap has the second largest display of the garmin range (below the street pilot) so it should be pretty decent once mounted up on the bike etc Very Happy

just hope the bidding doesnt go crazy which it probably will Crying or Very sad Just have to keep looking for a bargain, I'm in no real rush.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="YamsR6"]
Quote:

Think if this stays under £100 , I'm going to go for it and see how I get on.

I presume this can definetly be plugged into a cigarette lighter thing that I can bodge onto my bikes electrics somehow Smile

Yep its easy, i wired mine into my rear lights as they are usualy on and only come on with the ignition, so it wont eat your battery so much... and is a little bit safer.

Get a scotch lock + a low amp fuse (2amp) and solder it into your cigy plug + (center) now s-lock it into your lights feed or any other wire (you really need a multi meter to check) that is on only with the ignition thats your power..
Then make another cable and ground it onto your frame (bare metal) solder/connect it to your cigy - (outter bit) then give it a good dose of gaffa tape to keep it together and water proofish...
Then simply get your addapter and feed it through up to where your gps lives...

Work on it with the ignition off (unless your useing the multi meter to test out where to use)
*be VERY carfull to get all the connectors the right way round and solidly connected, use the right tools and bits, you can do some serious damage if you make a bodge job includeing frying your cdi or seting your bike on fire*

Its really easy but just be carefull with it Thumbs Up

If you want any help with it just post up and i can show you how it is on mine if that lot didn't make sense Very Happy

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:26 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may well ask for detailed wiring, but I'm 100% going to run the bike into work and get one of our sparkies to do it, as he's very very good with electronics etc in particular so shouldn't be a problem for him to wire it in properly for me Very Happy I hope anyway :S

Now where'd I order those mounts from lol

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my mounting brackets from aerostich in the usa, they turned up quite fast (about 4days!) have a look on the link above.. not sure what you'd need tho...

Wireing them is REALY easy, you just have to bear in mind if you have any loose + leads and they hit the frame then its two wheel fireball time, provided your carefull, dont have any tight wires liable to snap and crimp them into propper connectors useing correct ampage wire then theres not much you can get worng if they are in the right place Thumbs Up

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 22:47 - 10 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad outbid by £16 Neutral Crying or Very sad

Will wait a while and try and find a bargain on there. Thanks for all advice so far Thumbs Up

monkeyman
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 04:45 - 11 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarts Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kevo
Cop Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 15:55 - 11 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a garmin street pilot III myself. Perfect.

Regards,
Kevo.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2