Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Do you buy used motorcycle clothing?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:56 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Do you buy used motorcycle clothing? Reply with quote

The prices of some jackets and trousers I was looking at on ebay seem like a bargain to me. So yesterday I bought used HG jacket for 20 quid. Judging by the photos in a very good condition so was saying the description of the item and I remember it cost over 100 new. I will see when I get it, if it's ok I may look for some more.

Still I wouldn't buy any used helmets though. Probably I wouldn't fancy somebody's boots or gloves... or undies.

Do you buy any used gear?

iMark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:10 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.

I got my textile trousers off eBay for £10.. Deal or what Razz

Currently being offered a 2 piece Yamaha leathers for £60 and a Shoei "Artifact" XR1000 (no price mentioned yet) as it was bought but doesn't fit her, so I will be buying if it fits Razz

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:29 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchased a lot of my equipment from ebay and friends, personally don't see anything wrong with getting jackets and trousers from ebay or second hand. You are normally paying less than 50% of the retail asking price (unless its the high branded items).

I've also purchased helmets second hand and used friends helmets, it doesn't really matter if they have been used unless you crash in them.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:21 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Billing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:31 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my RST 1 piece for £130 from another forum, absolutely nothing wrong with it, and didn't need any breaking in, bonus!

Would prefer to buy boots new, and always new helmets.

-LG-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:19 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Purchased a lot of my equipment from ebay and friends, personally don't see anything wrong with getting jackets and trousers from ebay or second hand. You are normally paying less than 50% of the retail asking price (unless its the high branded items).

I've also purchased helmets second hand and used friends helmets, it doesn't really matter if they have been used unless you crash in them.

Surely thats the one time that you want it to be perfect?

I've not got anything second hand, but I will (apart from helmets and gloves, don't fancy having peoples sweat in a glove!)

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:58 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFK wrote:
Surely thats the one time that you want it to be perfect?

I've not got anything second hand, but I will (apart from helmets and gloves, don't fancy having peoples sweat in a glove!)

True although I did come off with a second hand helmet and suffered nothing from it, most probably as there is nothing to damage though Twisted Evil

Being serious as teffers says gear will only save you for crashing the aim is not to crash in the first place. At the end of the day it is just an added risk, remove/limit the risk by buying new but don't fully trust a brand new helmet I personally don't considering how some are handled.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of other men's scrotum, hand, anus, feet and armpit sweat.

I'd buy used textiles, although I'd prefer not to. But leathers, especially the trousers are almost always worn just with pants, on the hottest sunny days. I'd also prefer not to catch warts from used gloves or fungal infections from used boots.

tracks
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:45 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:

I'd buy used textiles, although I'd prefer not to. But leathers, especially the trousers are almost always worn just with pants, on the hottest sunny days. I'd also prefer not to catch warts from used gloves or fungal infections from used boots.

Live a little...what wrong with you! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy new if I could afford it. For anything decent I'm looking at over £400. Spent £20 on my Akito 1 piece, lucked out with the fit as its perfect. Has lasted a year so far with daily use, rain and shine. Even fixed the zip with superglue yesterday and it still works. Laughing

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 10:18 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

I got a pair of HG textiles on ebay, second hand, for £30 and wore them for ten years. Still got them.

I've had 2 or 3 second hand helmets from ebay and haven't been killed to death. I can tell the difference between 'here's a helmet I've worn for 2 years, dribbled in a lot and then dropped' and 'here's a helmet I bought for my missus to go pillion, which she did once and decided she didn't like it'.

I just sold some leathers and textiles and the buyer got an epic bargain, practically new stuff I'd barely worn for about 1/10 of what I paid for it.

Nick_Giles
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:24 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else's kit that they have sweated in. - Nope not for me.! Sick Even textiles that had been washed I would not feel happy in. Confused

Having said that I used to play rugby and after the game there would be 30+ guy's that all jumped in the same giant bath. Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink

Nick Neutral

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider it because of the massive savings. When you can get £300 of gear for £50 - 100 you have to take a punt.

Other things isn't really worth the discount but motorcycle gear is different for some reason

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Purchased a lot of my equipment from ebay and friends, personally don't see anything wrong with getting jackets and trousers from ebay or second hand (...) I've also purchased helmets second hand and used friends helmets, it doesn't really matter if they have been used unless you crash in them.

That's exactly what triggered my purchase.. Retail price £120 quid and I bought it for £15 + P&P. I've got a few jackets now and after years there is nothing wrong with them, and those from ebay look much newer than mine.

TheSmiler wrote:
(...) I've also purchased helmets second hand and used friends helmets, it doesn't really matter if they have been used unless you crash in them.

I would never buy an used helmet since I butchered one of mine to see whether there was more damage after accident. Outside it looked only scratched.. but inside there was much more damage found. Depends how you trust your friend I suppose.

JFK wrote:

Yeah.. new gloves for me too.. actually anything that touches my skin I prefer fresh and new.

DrDonnyBrago wrote:

I'm not sure about the leathers, probably not as I cannot really properly wash them. Defo I wouldn't buy any used thermal pants that covered somebody's groin or armpit area haha

I wouldn't buy boots for the same reason as you, in long run it may cost you more if you have to treat som Athleete's Foot or toe nail fungal infection.. Tut Tut

If the textile jacket I'm waiting for turns out to be a good stuff, then I'll get some more textile jackets... I like to have a variety Embarassed Thumbs Up Laughing

oldenuff
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:52 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Pick and choose Reply with quote

The secret with eBay is to be patient. Both of my current helmets came from there and were as new. One still had the sticky plastic over the visor. If you are patient then people do buy things and find they do not fit or they don't like them and use eBay to soften the financial blow. My textiles came that way and have been very good but buying boots was not a happy experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ... Sick

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:57 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick_Giles wrote:
Having said that I used to play rugby and after the game there would be 30+ guy's that all jumped in the same giant bath. Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink

Nick Neutral

https://www.wordans.ca/wvc-1353269887/wordansfiles/images/2012/11/18/170059/170059_340.jpg

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my leathers, textile jacket and textile pants from ebay, oh and a pair of boots. A bit of extra exposure to someone elses sweat and germs is good for the immune system and character building. Very Happy MTFU or have you never borrowed a lid, gloves, boots or leathers / textiles from a mate?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a secondhand Hein Gericke winter jacket given to me that was a really great warm comfy jacket. It's a bit tatty in places, but i've washed it a few times and it's still a decent jacket now, must be 8years old by now though.

All my leather's and helmet's i had from new are over 10years old now, and i would and will be using them again, as some of my gear has had less than 18months of use, and is like new. I won't buy new leather's until my old ones are either too small or fall to bits.

What i wouldn't mind secondhand though is some decent off road gear and some MX boots. I don't want to pay out for all brand new off roading gear if i'm going to ride off road an handful of times per year.

covent.gardens
World Clap Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of my gear is second hand. When the stuff comes and it's in very good condition and you only paid 15% to 25% of the new price, it's difficult to justify buying new.

The best deals I had were on gloves and boots. I paid something stupid like £5 delivered for winter gloves, £13 delivered for some decent enough Akito leather boots. It's not for everyone wearing used clothing but the upside of that is the prices are low. £15 for my textile jacket that I like very much and use every day, about £90 for my 2-piece Dainese leathers which fits well.

I could've blown £2,000 of my savings on brand new gear. I 'blew' around £300 in the end. So I've got all the gear necessary to protect myself and stay warm and comfortable and I've still got an extra £1,700 in the bank. That's how I look at it anyway.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:01 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Spent ££££££££££'s on various bits of new Motorcycle gear. I have a made to measure 2 piece suit To this day I think the item I have worn the most was a £35 'Alpine wear' Jacket I got off ebay. I've been all round europe twice in it. It has been my pillow, my duvet, my picnic blanket, I've crashed in it a couple of times. It is brilliant. It fits me perfectly, I would be gutted if I lost it.

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, bought a nice Dainese leather jacket for like £70, think it was from someone on here, that said it took me weeks of riding and over a bottle of febreeze to get the smell of stale fags out of it, it stunk so badly I couldn't wear it straight away.
00:32:08 Blau Zedong: yes, i am a massive CB400 fan and collector
00:33:00 Blau Zedong: the CB400 is my favourite road bike

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my current jackets are second hand, £15 for the textile, £35 for the leather.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel kinda better that I'm not the only one who thinks that new stuff is a bit too expensive.

Still if I find something new that I really really like I'll buy it. But I will keep an eye on some second hand bargains more now.

MadCatLady
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:43 - 15 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Sartso jeans, Alpinestars leather jacket & boots from ebay for just over £100 for the lot.
Frank Thomas leather trousers £15 from charity shop.
Got my helmet and gloves new, but helmet was from J&S sale and had a discount voucher for gloves.

Yamaha YBR 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2