Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Would police spike-strip a bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 11 Jun 2004    Post subject: Would police spike-strip a bike? Reply with quote

As per title: Would police use a spike strip on a runaway bike?

Not that I plan to find out. Just curious. If they wont, owning a bike capable of outrunning a helicopter is basically a liscense to escape any crime? Assuming you can find the A1/M1/whatever.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 11 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

not as a general rule, but they could if all else failed.

didnt you see on the news, in spain a guy robbed a bank, held hostages, demanded a gixer for his escape. the poilce saw where he was going and a police car pulled out in front of him at about 70mph.

If police will do that, then they will definatly spike you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 11 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm well they wouldn't use a spike stip on a bike cos it would be VERY Dangerous for the rider (even though he/she is a dirty twatting criminal) Oh and I very much doubt theres a bike out there capabale of out running a helicopter Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 17:10 - 11 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

No matter what the rider was doing they would never use a 'stinger' (spike strip) on a bike.

As I have said before, I know a few police bikers and dad is heavily involved with the police and I have asked them this question before.

You could out run the helicopter yes, providing you kept up a constant pace of around 140mph and the road was straight. If you try this all they'll do it send a helicopter from the next county to watch you further up the road, or police cars from another county.

Going at 140mph your fuel isn't going to last forever so you will easily be intercepted by some traffic police in another county.

Scratchy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:14 - 11 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they won't.

It's unlikely any bike will outrun a helicopter. You still have to follow the course of the road on the ground, the helicopter can travel in a straight line. Plus they can anticipate your route and have other units waiting a specified locations waiting to pick-up the pursuit.

I wouldn't bother trying, you will lose!

Last edited by Scratchy on 17:15 - 11 Jun 2004; edited 1 time in total

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 11 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh.

I dunno how dangerous it would be, having seen that Kawasaki GP rider slide to a stop from 220, on a straight road Shocked you could always not wear a helmet, to give them an incentive!

Police helicopter would not be able to keep up with a bike doing 186 on a straight road for long? Id guess the chopper tops out at 140 or so...I know from my experience in Bulldog T1's and Piper Warriors (light aeroplanes) top out at way less than 186.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 17:17 - 11 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like you to find a straight road long enough to maintain 186mph on it. At 186mph you are doing over 3 miles per minute, not many roads are straight and traffic free for that sort of distance.

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 11 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh and I very much doubt theres a bike out there capabale of out running a helicopter

Ghost rider could out run a helicopter. but then again he could slightly misjudge one move and become tomato ketchup.

Helicopters aren't that fast anyway, about 120-140 i'd say.

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 11 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of stretches of the A1, especially up here are good for that Id imagine.

Having said that, ive never been above 110 in any vehicle, so what do I know?

Anyone seen the GhostRider Uppssala video? He pulls off a similar feat on a Swedish road. Dont know how truthfull the speedo is though.

I wish you could see something that told you the odds of him dying in real time... I bet it would flicker between 1 in 2; 1 in 4; 1 in 3, etc. That sounds sadistic.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 17:34 - 11 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well on Grand Theft Auto: Vice City I got spiked by the Miami Vice whilst on a PCG600! Razz
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Pete
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 11 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well on Grand Theft Auto: Vice City I got spiked by the Miami Vice whilst on a PCG600!

Yeah, I know the feeling! Next time, try a tank. That sorts 'em!

Also, helicopters are very slow things compared to normal fixed wing aircraft. Depending on which type, top speed between 100 and 150. Police ones used in reading, i'd say about 130 killing the turbines. Couldn't stand that pace for long though, maybe for 5-1- mins.
Pete

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:55 - 12 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I beleive they are not allowed to use a stinger against a bike in the UK.

While you might outrun a police helicopter, you are unlikely to be able to outrun a police radio transmission.

All the best

Keith

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:01 - 12 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they do in spain to stop a runaway biker:

https://www.cbsnews.com/media/2004/04/06/video610430.wmv

Right click, save target as.

dandit
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 02:12 - 12 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

no they cant

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:46 - 12 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aparantly the thing to do is to ride towards a major airport (ie heatrow etc)... the airport staff aint going to be too happy to give some lowly police pilot clearance when they got business worth many thousands of pounds hanging in the air.

Of course, as mentioned you would have to not die and preferably have a slightly more devious route planned than going straight along a motorway for a long stretch.

I would have thought with a busa (or a zx12 to keep mr C happy Razz) that's been sorted with an extra big tank you could probably keep going pretty fast for a long time given the conditions.
Unfortunately the road isn't quite as friendly a place to crash as a race track.

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:25 - 12 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can't use a stinger on a bike or a trike as they can become too unstable and become a danger to the rider and / or the public. I once saw a Police Camer Action where a bloke nicked a Reliant Robin as the police couldn't touch him!

william
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 12 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was young lad I rode my bike past a hidden stationary police car at 4.00am (after finishing work). They decided to follow me and as I didn't have a current MOT I decided not to stop.

They gave chase in their very fast police car and eventually decided to try and knock me off my bike two or three times.

I got away by going down an alleyway and chucked my bike in my garage very quickly.

Despite all this they had of course got my registration and nearly banged the front door off its hinges (pretended noone was in).

They weren't very happy and explained they were within their rights to knock me off as I was endangering other road users.

I would like to add I had only ridden my bike to work cos my car was broken and yes, I am a lot more responsible now.

William

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 12 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Criminals in the UK have before used Robin Reliant's to get away from the police - they are not allowed to spike anything with less than four wheels as it is too dangerous.
Doh - just say Mattastic's post. Me too slow.

Adam

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 12 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youd think theyd be allowed to lay the spike strip in advance, along with a warning sign, thus it would be the criminals choice if they went over it.

As opposed to throwing it out at the last second.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 02:35 - 13 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig and His GS500E wrote:
Ummm well they wouldn't use a spike stip on a bike cos it would be VERY Dangerous for the rider (even though he/she is a dirty twatting criminal) Oh and I very much doubt theres a bike out there capabale of out running a helicopter Razz

John Ryman outran a Police Helicopter on a standard 1994 Fireblade back in 94. His No. plate read PC Turner eat my dust. PC Turner was an M1 traffic cop who had a bit of a hard-on for John. I think he did 9 months in the end and had his Blade confiscated. I think it was on the Hays bypass. I could tell you what he's riding now but he wouldn't like it much.

I don't know about now but then the Police helicopters could only pull 140mph

https://www.nextown.co.uk/print.php?sid=1126

You can outrun the Helicopter but you can't outrun the radio.

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:29 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Aparantly the thing to do is to ride towards a major airport (ie heatrow etc)... the airport staff aint going to be too happy to give some lowly police pilot clearance when they got business worth many thousands of pounds hanging in the air.

With terrorist problems now the police can still follow you.

Dr Nick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

The new 'Gone in Sixty Seconds' comes to mind Razz .

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

I would have thought with a busa (or a zx12 to keep mr C happy Razz) that's been sorted with an extra big tank you could probably keep going pretty fast for a long time given the conditions.

precisely 63 miles on a full tank

and that was half done on the return road

so flat out, probably less than 50 miles from a stock zx12r tank Shocked Shocked

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 15:03 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

also helicopters fly at high speeds in a straightline with cameras that have up to 3 mile range.... most motorways etc tend to bend and twist, so i don't think you would ever get away from one,

And i think its illegal for them to use a stinger on a bike...for obvious reasons, a bike out of control slamming into an innocent bi-standers passing car at 150mph...or even a pedestrian = Mess

1cyl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 14 Jun 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon if you had 5 people two zx12 turbo's, in different colurs, a busa turbo, an @125, and a speedboat. all skilled riders with 6 months of planning behind it you could make a good get away, u'd need a few stopping points, and it would have to be a route through major citys, and it would have to be done on a bank holiday when the roads are clogged, nothing is impossible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2