Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bitcoins

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
No.

Two kitkats.

You need to come up from there. Throw me something, man.

A touch of your front bottom?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:13 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two kitkats.

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
I get that you think it's all dumb money but I would like to know at what point you will think BTC and other crypto's are legitimate currencies? BTC is currently $260b market cap. $500b? $1t?

The day I can pay my bills and everyday real life purchases with it. When you can go into a Ducati dealership with your gorillion BTC wallet and buy their latest top of the range model. It's phantom money. If I have UK pounds then the UK gov has some interest in the value of it's currency, unless it wants to go full Zimbabwe. If I have US $, as Mr Borg has stated the US has a massive interest to see that it remains as a world reserve currency of some standing. Zimbabwe even uses US $ internally since it's own currency is toilet paper. The European Central bank has interest in it's own monopoly money. Besides speculators can you tell me who or what is the surety to the value of Bitcoins or any other cryptocurrency? It is like the Emperors new clothes, all it is waiting for is someone of some influence to point out the absence of their value, and enough people to follow that lead and it will all come tumbling down.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:39 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK government does have some interest in the value of the £ but not enough of an interest to be bothered about devaluing it with quantitative easing.

There is no surety to the value of a currency that has a decentralized authority. Wink

Plenty of people have tried to point out the absence of their value but no one has managed to come up with any useful arguments. Razz

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThoughtControl wrote:

The day I can pay my bills and everyday real life purchases with it. When you can go into a Ducati dealership with your gorillion BTC wallet and buy their latest top of the range model. It's phantom money. If I have UK pounds then the UK gov has some interest in the value of it's currency, unless it wants to go full Zimbabwe. If I have US $, as Mr Borg has stated the US has a massive interest to see that it remains as a world reserve currency of some standing. Zimbabwe even uses US $ internally since it's own currency is toilet paper. The European Central bank has interest in it's own monopoly money. Besides speculators can you tell me who or what is the surety to the value of Bitcoins or any other cryptocurrency? It is like the Emperors new clothes, all it is waiting for is someone of some influence to point out the absence of their value, and enough people to follow that lead and it will all come tumbling down.

quite a few places in london accept bc, even some of the food market stalls do

https://www.wheretospendbitcoins.co.uk/location/london

think tesla is even taking orders with bc

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42275523

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2Je8EmOl24NJDYU8/giphy.gif

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42275523

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2Je8EmOl24NJDYU8/giphy.gif

Ste wrote:

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:59 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, that's yesterdays news. Razz

4,700 coins is a big heist but not the biggest.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 19:03 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my two pence as a futurist rather than someone who knows anything about bitcoin and other crypto currencies.

Look at what we've done in 30 years as opposed to the last 300. We are doing some crazy things, we are truly in the technological age right now and we continue to advance in many fields... robotics, ai, medicine, nano, space, etc.

Anyone and I mean anyone who disregards crypto currency as something of a fad or something that will burn out or crash is deluded. We're moving towards automation now and using robots and ai to replace human jobs and tasks. Virtual reality is in its infancy but the uses of that will become an integral part of our society. So to think that crypto currencies will go away is pretty silly when you step back and think what we'll be doing in 10 - 15 years from now. It might not be Bitcoin, it might not be IOTA or whatever but there will be some form of it and it will be the only currency worth using.

Fiat currency Laughing I wouldn't mind but it's... and forgive the cliche... literally not worth the paper it's written on. What's it backed with these days? They are just printing it and lending it and taxing / manipulating us with it, as they have for 1,000's of years.

I have ignored it for too long, which considering my trading history, I should not have left it for, "another day when I'm not busy".

When in our lifetimes will we get to witness a whole new currency become widely accepted and used more than most fiat currencies in the next 10 years?

I saw an article the other day that Venezuelans are playing old games like Runescape / Tiba so that they can mine gold in the game and sell it on auction sites to other players for $. Their own "fiat currency" is worth shit and they can make better money mining virtual currency sat in an internet cafe all day, 7 days a week. That's fucking crackers but I think a sign of things to come...

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
Here's my two pence as a futurist rather than someone who knows anything about bitcoin and other crypto currencies.

Look at what we've done in 30 years as opposed to the last 300. We are doing some crazy things, we are truly in the technological age right now and we continue to advance in many fields... robotics, ai, medicine, nano, space, etc.

Anyone and I mean anyone who disregards crypto currency as something of a fad or something that will burn out or crash is deluded. We're moving towards automation now and using robots and ai to replace human jobs and tasks. Virtual reality is in its infancy but the uses of that will become an integral part of our society. So to think that crypto currencies will go away is pretty silly when you step back and think what we'll be doing in 10 - 15 years from now. It might not be Bitcoin, it might not be IOTA or whatever but there will be some form of it and it will be the only currency worth using.

Fiat currency Laughing I wouldn't mind but it's... and forgive the cliche... literally not worth the paper it's written on. What's it backed with these days? They are just printing it and lending it and taxing / manipulating us with it, as they have for 1,000's of years.

I have ignored it for too long, which considering my trading history, I should not have left it for, "another day when I'm not busy".

When in our lifetimes will we get to witness a whole new currency become widely accepted and used more than most fiat currencies in the next 10 years?

I saw an article the other day that Venezuelans are playing old games like Runescape / Tiba so that they can mine gold in the game and sell it on auction sites to other players for $. Their own "fiat currency" is worth shit and they can make better money mining virtual currency sat in an internet cafe all day, 7 days a week. That's fucking crackers but I think a sign of things to come...

Assuming you've also seen the announcement that Venezuela are going to make their own cryptocurrency also, to avoid blockades/sanctions etc.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Please, that's yesterdays news. Razz

Soz I didn't reddit Embarassed

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
Runescape / Tiba

You mean Tibia? I thought I was the only one who played that, it was never very popular. It's a lot less popular now, they've started sending out emails begging people to play again. Open Tibia is where it's at.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:47 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Wild speculation, but are the sudden drops in price perhaps down to the heisters cashing their hauls out?

Are there any figures on how much bitcoin is actually being exchanged for goods and services and real imaginary money?

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
I get that you think it's all dumb money but I would like to know at what point you will think BTC and other crypto's are legitimate currencies? BTC is currently $260b market cap. $500b? $1t?

Whether or not it's a legitimate currency, it's not a viable consumer currency whilst it's so volatile.

CME are going to be launching Bitcoin futures this month. I'm interested to see how that's going to play out.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Wild speculation, but are the sudden drops in price perhaps down to the heisters cashing their hauls out?

$16bn worth of bitcoin were traded in the last 24 hours.
The amounts stolen are pretty small fry on the grand scheme of things, plus the wallet the BTC were moved to has been unused since the theft.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's like the Fort Knox of Bitcoin? Just going to keep all this digi-gold sat here until we reaaally need it.

According to the current prices, 4700 bitcoins are worth just under £48 million. Enough to retire on but not enough to blow over the entire house of cards.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:29 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Beeb Wireless 4 today had a piece on bitcoin where Gavin (or some other manky Scotch name) admitted that he'd lost £40,000 "buying" bitcoin options then months later when they were "worth" £300,000 he tried to cash out only to be stonewalled then eventually told that the "company" (Rainpal® stylee) was now "insolvent".

The giggle?

He's still buying bitcoins (he thinks) to try and cover his losses, and reckons there's at least another 5 years of mugs pumping money into what he cheerfully admitted was a bubble.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Al Beeb Wireless 4 today had a piece on bitcoin where Gavin (or some other manky Scotch name) admitted that he'd lost £40,000 "buying" bitcoin options then months later when they were "worth" £300,000 he tried to cash out only to be stonewalled then eventually told that the "company" (Rainpal® stylee) was now "insolvent".

The giggle?

He's still buying bitcoins (he thinks) to try and cover his losses, and reckons there's at least another 5 years of mugs pumping money into what he cheerfully admitted was a bubble.

Isn't 'Options' basically trading on the volatility, ie contracts for difference?

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 20:15 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Jayy wrote:
Runescape / Tiba

You mean Tibia? I thought I was the only one who played that, it was never very popular. It's a lot less popular now, they've started sending out emails begging people to play again. Open Tibia is where it's at.

I did mean Tibia, missed the i off innit blud.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-05/desperate-venezuelans-turn-to-video-games-to-survive

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 20:16 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

The giggle?

Isn't 'Options' basically trading on the volatility, ie contracts for difference?

If it was options, as long as they are regulated, they will segregate customer funds like big bookies do so that even if they go under, the funds are there.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was more that by trading options, he wasn't actually 'buying' the Bitcoins, and instead basically gambling on the movement?

-----------------------------------------

AEON anyone? Read that it's a fork of XMR?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:16 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the magic words they used.

He thought he'd won bigly, turns out he'd just been pumping money down the drain rather than into the bubble.

The lulz is that being stung has just made him believe even more in the fruits of the magic bitcoin money tree.

As long as there are still Gavins out there, there's money to be scalped.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:28 - 10 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThoughtControl wrote:
The Artist wrote:

You can go any buy stuff with it. Sure it takes time for larger corporations to update and I agree it is not actually usable for day to day transactions. There are plenty of other cryptocurrencies looking to fill that market but we are so early in the development of these things, who knows which one will be used.
Bitcoin feels like it could be the AOL of the internet era. It may not be the future, but its a damn good start and I am watching it closely.

Your argument about it not being a currency doesn't really hold up. That is what currencies are. They have no inherent value, they are just numbers and bits of paper that everyone agrees are worth something. In that way, it is the definition of a currency.

I have been reading posts like yours for that past 5 years and they never change. Even if some form of crypto becomes globally accepted, there will still be people wanting their government backed currencies.

AEON anyone? Read that it's a fork of XMR?

Aeon is not fungible. Privacy is optional therefore it cannot be truly private. However, it is interesting and could be what LTC is to BTC. I don't hold any though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 10 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a painfully obvious pyramid scheme.

It's a limited supply of a phantom resource which only gains value because there are still enough people to add money to the base... of the pyramid.

Probably still a lot of room to win with the bitcoin malarkey. Not going to replace fiat money though. We'll be back to bartering or panning for gold before that ever happens.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 10 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Such a painfully obvious pyramid scheme.

It's a limited supply of a phantom resource which only gains value because there are still enough people to add money to the base... of the pyramid.

Probably still a lot of room to win with the bitcoin malarkey. Not going to replace fiat money though. We'll be back to bartering or panning for gold before that ever happens.

Quite. The current value of Bitcoin is in the perceived future increase in value. People want them because they foresee a profit and that's why they are willing to trade real stuff for them. Once one of the big holders decides the risk vs reward ratio has swung too far towards risk they will unload then the value will bomb and Bitcoin will turn into Shitcoin. Until then it's in the interest of the people holding large amounts of it to go to any lengths to promote it as a successful venture.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 10 of 58