BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bitcoins

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Bitcoins Reply with quote

Damn, I wish I had held onto some back when they were £4.

Midday Monday £32
Now £48

market cap now $0.75 BILLION

https://i.imgur.com/mKv5wPQ.jpg

If you are looking for reasons, most people are saying European demand. Cyprus etc, people want them more than ever, prices go up.

I don't have the balls to put all the money I have into them right now but speculatively, I think they are not coming down anytime soon. Maybe a slight correction which would be the ideal time to buy. Unfortunately, everyone else would think the same which means the price is not going to drop more than 5-8% IMO.

Last edited by The Artist on 18:26 - 21 Mar 2013; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/Hs6zMoi.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, even when I got a few they were £13 each, now £30+, shoulda bought more and flogged them

Expecting the market to crash wildly soon Thumbs Up
Bullish.

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, but I'd rather have a bar of gold than a handful of magic beans that I can't actually touch, see or do anything with.

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungtvann wrote:
Interesting, but I'd rather have a bar of gold than a handful of magic beans that I can't actually touch, see or do anything with.

You can buy drugs and weapons and most illicit goods with it pretty easily, unlike gold

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Tungtvann wrote:

You can buy drugs and weapons and most illicit goods with it pretty easily, unlike gold

True, but I meant from a purely financial aspect.

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungtvann wrote:
Alpha-9 wrote:

True, but I meant from a purely financial aspect.

I think of it as goods to be bartered with rather than a currency

Besides, how often do you physically see your wages?
The majority of money is digital, not physical

and money literally "isn't worth it's weight in gold" any more

But ya, I could have 100 coins worth 3k in my bitcoin wallet, have a harddrive failure and lose it all Thumbs Up

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are bitcoins not stored digitally? On the 'cloud' if you like, so you can access it from anywhere?

I know money is mostly digital, which is why I spread my wealth and put it elsewhere!

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungtvann wrote:
Are bitcoins not stored digitally? On the 'cloud' if you like, so you can access it from anywhere?

I know money is mostly digital, which is why I spread my wealth and put it elsewhere!

You can store and backup your wallets anywhere, usb stick, the cloud, various hard drives.

Anyone with any decent amount of coins would not leave just one copy somewhere.

Currency of the future. The ultimate deflationary currency. Potential for crash at some point? Yes. Potential for future world wide currency with mass adoption? Most definitely.

Technically you are only storing the key to get at your coins. There are no actual coins. When someone sends you coins or you buy them, then it is announced to the network and there is a record of it out there. Everyone knows there is XXXBTC in that particular address meaning no centralisation. It is actual P2P banking. You just need your key to get at it.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 19:40 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's to stop some clever bastards just injecting "hax0red/engineered" currency out of thin air?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX Jay wrote:
What's to stop some clever bastards just injecting "hax0red/engineered" currency out of thin air?

I don't know the technical way this is done but their is a limit to the number of bitcoins that can ever be created.

They are being mined. ~21 million is the final total. Currently ~11million. As processing power for the network increases, more coins are mined and the "difficulty" to mine becomes more. Every so often the amount of coins in a block will halve and miners will have instantly reduced input on the network.

This means the currency is deflationary rather than inflationary like any fiat currency. No printing more money, the limit is 21 million, everyone knows it. The only way to destroy/hack the bitcoin network itself is quantum computing which doesn't exist yet.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 20:07 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know much about them, just some news stories of hackers stealing a fuck tonne of them off companies.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:19 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have absolutely no fucking idea what one is and where you get 1 Laughing

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX Jay wrote:
I don't really know much about them, just some news stories of hackers stealing a fuck tonne of them off companies.

The only places that have been hacked are dodgy unsecured exchanges and you would be an idiot to store your coins there.

If you keep the wallet on a USB stick, no one can get it.

fatpies
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitcoins are just another form of derivative.

Its obvious because any settlement will be in the current government controlled currencies today.

Also.... what stops bitcoin 2 and 3 and 4 etc from being bought online?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:07 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bitcoin economy always make me think of this:
https://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215117578_3Vo6T-XL-2.jpg

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://thumbnails.visually.netdna-cdn.com/bitcoin-infographic_5029189c9cbaf.jpg

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 23 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little change in the market. Laughing

https://i.imgur.com/Q40Rhs5.png

Dropped ~15%.

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 23 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zactly!

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:53 - 23 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitcoins...consensus reality in a virtual wallet.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 23 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungtvann wrote:
Zactly!

It is a correction for the past weeks activity.

https://i.imgur.com/eVYL8qx.png The over valuation at the moment of about £6-£7 might not be over valuation. The £8 on top we saw the past few days was. The sudden growth has been caused by the Eurozone mainly demanding bitcoins to stop their government stealing their money in the future.

Benson_JV
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 23 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might just pour a large amount of savings in next time they come down. As Alpha, I don't really think of it as a currency, more goods to be bartered with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 23 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't intend to actual spend them on bitcoiny type things, it's more like you are dealing in stocks.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 23 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a currency in every sense of the word, not goods.

If you go to the PO and buy USD then it is a similar thing. People make money off foreign exchange trades all the time, it is called forex. It is just that BTC is a lot more volatile with such a small market cap compared to any other fiat currencies.

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 23 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that bitcoin mining is just a way for the inventor to get money from the isp's for traffic generated.

What is to stop people just putting the bitcoin price up on things in line with bit inflation? or does it not work like that when you buy something is the exchange rate automaticaly calculated against the dollar cost (i assume it will be valued against the dollar)

Some people are only alive cos its against the law to kill them.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 1 of 58