Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bitcoins

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
ffs, does this mean eth going to go to shit now too?

It goes up and down all the time.
BTC will be $4500 this time next week/month, it doens't really matter.

ETH has been a lot lower in the past month than it is now and recovered to almost twice the price. It's all part of the crypto currency life. Banks/Bankers/Establishment will all try their bit to come down on it, but in the past they have all just served to make it stronger. They end up highlighting their own problems with it rather than actual problems within it. China are going through what Russia went through and will just accept it before too long.

Governments want to control everything, with BTC they can only control what companies can do with it and try to control what their citizens do with it. With the latter, they know they cant really control it, as they have no control over the market place. All they can do is make it illegal, but then it's anonymous, so good luck with that.

They will realise they have to accept it is happening and either get on board or do a blockbuster video with the streaming scene and hope it all goes away. It wont.

JP Morgan declare it a dud and investors jump ship. I imagine JP Morgan was smart enough to buy a stack at the low point.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 15 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
vice wrote:
ffs, does this mean eth going to go to shit now too?

https://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy/2017/09/bitcoin-ethereum-crash-explained/

since that was written it's recovered lolz

I mean long term, I guess no one actually knows.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:17 - 16 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping this crash would last a bit longer but it is bouncing back so quick.

Why can't these happen at the end of the month?

I still don't think this is the bottom. I need XMR under $60 again plz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:54 - 18 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would a total newbie go about dipping a toe in the waters of cryptocurrency?
Is it as simple as signing up for a coinbase account, and buying them? At the level I'm willing to invest, I realise I won't be retiring from the proceedings, but I'd still like to give it a go.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:43 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadbury wrote:
How would a total newbie go about dipping a toe in the waters of cryptocurrency?
Is it as simple as signing up for a coinbase account, and buying them? At the level I'm willing to invest, I realise I won't be retiring from the proceedings, but I'd still like to give it a go.

Pretty much yes.

Just pic a light wallet to store your coins. Do not leave them on your coinbase account.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
Cadbury wrote:
How would a total newbie go about dipping a toe in the waters of crypto....

Pretty much yes.

Just pic a light wallet to store your coins. Do not leave them on your coinbase account.

Just out of curiosity,
whats the risks involved in leaving coins in a coinbase account? Less secure?

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:

Just out of curiosity,

look up mt gox

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
Just out of curiosity,

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1662379-how-is-coinbase-insured-

I have left plenty of money in my Coinbase account, just make sure you have a decent password and 2 step authentication and it's just about as secure as anywhere.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:54 - 19 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
skatefreak wrote:
Just out of curiosity,

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1662379-how-is-coinbase-insured-

I have left plenty of money in my Coinbase account, just make sure you have a decent password and 2 step authentication and it's just about as secure as anywhere.

Said everyone who had their coins stolen in the past few years.

If you don't hold your private keys, you don't hold your coins.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bitsonline.com/monero-exploit-threatens-privacy/

Shocked

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:01 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
https://www.bitsonline.com/monero-exploit-threatens-privacy/

Shocked

https://themerkle.com/moneros-ip-address-leak-isnt-an-exploit-and-doesnt-affect-anonymity/

Not really a significant problem and has been known about for ages. Kovri is in progress to make this problem completely obsolete.

Just read the comments on the article you posted. Also the guy making the claims is Anthony Russell who is a well known shitcoin pumper. Constantly shilling XVG.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 15:54 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone buy bitcoins back in 2013 when this post was made and hang on to them?

Anyone sat on $1000's who held out? Would be cool!

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus Fin christ, please tell me one of you is now a millionaire?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but I bought a small number of Monero when they were around the £30-£35 mark. Mr. Green

Won't be retiring just yet though Crying or Very sad

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:27 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
Jesus Fin christ, please tell me one of you is now a millionaire?

Me and my other crypto knowing friend did get into crypto around 2013 but although we believe, we were broke and it was a much scarier time. Much more likely it would go to zero so dropping a few £k was a much bigger gamble than it is now.

If you wanna make money, BTC, ETH, XMR, IOTA, Wink

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:59 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems as good a place to ask as any...

The office has gone bananas over Electroneum, with lots of people throwing in hundreds of pounds - certain that it's going to increase in value substantially in a couple of years.

How safe is their investment? Why electroneum rather than any other cryptocurrency? (I understand it's UK based and will offer a (simulation of) mobile mining?)

I haven't invested - as I didn't trust the ICO and can see no reason why the team couldn't/wouldn't just pull the plug at any time and walk away?
Also, Harry Redknapp has spoken about how good an investment opportunity it is, and he's as shady as fcuk.

Most of the chaps have purchased at rock bottom prices (2 or 3 cents as I understand it)

Should I jump in - or is it all too big an unknown?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

zark wrote:
This seems as good a place to ask as any...

The office has gone bananas over Electroneum, with lots of people throwing in hundreds of pounds - certain that it's going to increase in value substantially in a couple of years.

How safe is their investment? Why electroneum rather than any other cryptocurrency? (I understand it's UK based and will offer a (simulation of) mobile mining?)

I haven't invested - as I didn't trust the ICO and can see no reason why the team couldn't/wouldn't just pull the plug at any time and walk away?
Also, Harry Redknapp has spoken about how good an investment opportunity it is, and he's as shady as fcuk.

Most of the chaps have purchased at rock bottom prices (2 or 3 cents as I understand it)

Should I jump in - or is it all too big an unknown?

I am not gonna say outright scam but I wouldn't put money anywhere near it.

Red flags:

Anything that offers a bonus % during the ICO screams scam.

What the hell do they need $40 million for?

The text on their homepage is written to attract crypto n00bs. Talking about offline wallets like it is something they developed themselves.

Also crypto mining on your phone? Modern phones barely last a day with normal usage. No one is going to use their phone to mine crypto.

Any coin that spends so much on marketing is just something to avoid.

BTC, ETH, XMR etc, never spent a dime on advertising. Shitcoins like DASH have spent fortunes and it is working for the time being. It will work until the community develops further and more people know a shitcoin when they see one.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
Any coin that spends so much on marketing is just something to avoid.

Agreed, I looked at it a while back and decided to steer clear, and I have invested in lots of longshots, losing and gaining and even I gave it a miss thinking it was all a bit too much hot air.

If you want to get into crypto, BTC, ETH and LTC are about the safest, so put your main money there and if you want to gamble, NEO, Chainlink and 1STBlood are good longshots for 2 year gains.
There are loads more that will make you money and 100x that amount of coins that will lose you money, so invest sparingly into those. I put £50 in various longshot shitcoins, most have lost me money, but a few have 10x in the past, so it's all good, but going all in on them would be pretty bad form.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:40 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mining with smartphones? Shocked Laughing

Most new cryptocurrencies never take off in any significant way but lots of crypto facebook n00bs wanting to buy Electroneum coins will push the price up at least for a short period of time. That's also known as pump and dump which isn't sustainable.

Cryptocurrencies are not so hard to come by, there's loads of them. Laughing

I'm not sure what coin they're referring to with "sending personal identification to strange websites" since that's not how it works.

There isn't any reason why you'd want to use their coins over cash or any of the established crypto coins.

1. Install their app on your phone and invest early on in the scheme.
2. ???
3. Profit

What could possibly go wrong?

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:31 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this thread. Lets just say I’m pretty glad I put down 200 in 2012. I’ll be getting a house when I graduate.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:10 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

$ or £?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:11 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

$ or £?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:20 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1lfobc/i_am_a_timetraveler_from_the_future_here_to_beg/

I am sending this message from the year 2025. Things are looking bleak here, and some of you will carry blood on your hands.
If you don't believe me, please move on, as I have no way of proving to you I'm really who I claim to be.
I don't want to waste any of your time, so I'm merely going to explain what happened.
On average, every year so far, the value of Bitcoin has increased by about a factor ten. From 0.1 dollar in 2010, to 1 dollar in 2011, to 10 dollar in 2012, to 100 dollar in 2013. From now on, there's a slight slowdown, as the value increased by a factor ten every two years, to 1,000 dollar in 2015, to 10,000 in 2017, 100,000 in 2019, and 1,000,000 in 2021. From here onwards, there's no good way of expressing its value in dollars, as the dollar is no longer used, nor is any central bank issued currency for that matter. There are two main forms of wealth in today's world. Land and cryptocurrency.
There are just over 19 million Bitcoin known to be used in the world today, as well as a few hundred thousand that were permanently lost, and we're still dealing with a population of just over 7 billion people today. On average, this means the average person owns just under 0.003 bitcoin. However, due to the unequal distribution of wealth in my world, the mean person owns just 0.001 bitcoin. That's right, most of you reading this today are rich. I personally live next to an annoying young man who logged into his old Reddit account two years ago and discovered that he received a tip of 0.01 Bitcoin back in 2013 for calling someone a "faggot" when he was a 16 year old boy. Upon making this discovery he bought an airline ticket, left his house without telling anyone anything and went to a Citadel.
"What is a Citadel?" you might wonder. Well, by the time Bitcoin became worth 1,000 dollar, services began to emerge for the "Bitcoin rich" to protect themselves as well as their wealth. It started with expensive safes, then began to include bodyguards, and today, "earlies" (our term for early adapters), as well as those rich whose wealth survived the "transition" live in isolated gated cities called Citadels, where most work is automated. Most such Citadels are born out of the fortification used to protect places where Bitcoin mining machines are located. The company known as ASICminer to you is known to me as a city where Mr. Friedman rules as a king.
In my world, soon to be your world, most governments no longer exist, as Bitcoin transactions are done anonymously and thus most governments can enforce no taxation on their citizens. Most of the success of Bitcoin is due to the fact that Bitcoin turned out to be an effective method to hide your wealth from the government. Whereas people entering "rogue states" like Luxemberg, Monaco and Liechtenstein were followed by unmanned drones to ensure that governments know who is hiding wealth, no such option was available to stop people from hiding their money in Bitcoin.
Governments tried to stay relevant in my society by buying Bitcoin, which just made the problem worse, by increasing the value of Bitcoin. Governments did so in secret of course, but my generation's "Snowdens" are in fact greedy government employees who transferred Bitcoin to their own private account, and escaped to anarchic places where no questions are asked as long as you can cough up some money.
The four institutions with the largest still accessible Bitcoin balance are believed to be as following:
-ASICminer - 50,000 Bitcoin
-The IMF's "currency stabilization fund" - 70,000 Bitcoin
-Government of Saudi Arabia - 110,000 Bitcoin
-The North Korean government - 180,000 Bitcoin
Economic growth today is about -2% per year. Why is this? If you own more than 0.01 Bitcoin, chances are you don't do anything with your money. There is no inflation, and thus no incentive to invest your money. Just like the medieval ages had no significant economic growth, as wealth was measured in gold, our society has no economic growth either, as people know their 0.01 Bitcoin will be enough to last them a lifetime. The fact that there are still new Bitcoin released is what prevents our world from collapse so far it seems, but people fear that the decline in inflation that will occur during the next block halving may further wreck our economy.
What happened to the Winklevoss twins? The Winklevoss twins were among the first to die. After seeing the enormous damage done to the fabric of society, terrorist movements emerged that sought to hunt down and murder anyone known to have a large balance of Bitcoin, or believed to be responsible in any way for the development of cryptocurrency. Ironically, these terrorist movements use Bitcoin to anonymously fund their operations.
Most people who own any significant amount of Bitcoin no longer speak to their families and lost their friends, because they had to change their identities. There have been also been a few suicides of people who could not handle the guilt after seeing what happened to the bag-holders, the type of skeptical people who continued to believe it would eventually collapse, even after hearing the rumors of governments buying Bitcoin. Many people were taken hostage, and thus, it is suspected that 25% percent of "Bitcoin rich" actually physically tortured someone to get him to spill his password.
Why didn't we abandon Bitcoin, and move to another system? Well, we tried of course. We tried to step over to an inflationary cryptocurrency, but nobody with an IQ above 70 was willing to step up first and volunteer. After all, why would you voluntarily invest a lot of your money into a currency where you know your wealth will continually decline? The thing that made Bitcoin so dangerous to society was also what made it so successful. Bitcoin allows us to give into our greed.
In Africa, surveys show that an estimated 70% of people believe that Bitcoin was invented by the devil himself. There's a reason for this. It's a very sensitive issue that today is generally referred to as "the tragedy". The African Union had ambitious plans to help its citizens be ready to step over to Bitcoin. Governments gave their own citizens cell phones for free, tied to their government ID, and thus government sought to integrate Bitcoin into their economy. All went well, until "the tragedy" that is. A criminal organization, believed to be located in Russia, exploited a hardware fault in the government issued cell phones. It's believed that the entire continent of Africa lost an estimated 60% of its wealth in a period of 48 hours. What followed was a period of chaos and civil war, until the Saudi Arabian and North Korean governments, two of the world's major superpowers due to their authoritarian political system's unique ability to adapt to the "Bitcoin challenge", divided most African land between themselves and were praised as heroes by the local African population for it.
You might wonder, what is our plan now? It's clear that the current situation can not be sustained, without ending in a nuclear holocaust. I am part of an underground network, who seek to launch a coordinated attack against the very infrastructure of the Internet itself. We have at our disposal about 20 nuclear submarines, which we will use to cut all underwater cables between different continents. After this has been successfully achieved, we will launch a simultaneous nuclear pulse attack on every densely population area of the world. We believe that the resulting chaos will allow the world's population to rise up in revolt, and destroy as many computers out there as possible, until we reach the point where Bitcoin loses any relevance.
Of course, this outcome will likely lead to billions of deaths. This is a price we are forced to pay, to avoid the eternal enslavement of humanity to a tiny elite.
This is also the reason we contacted you.
It doesn't have to be like this. You do not have to share our fate. I don't know how, but you must find a way to destroy this godforsaken project in its infancy. I know this is a difficult thing to ask of you. You believed you were helping the world by eliminating the central banking cartel that governs your economies.
However, I have seen where it ends.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artist, what is the cooling off period on that 0.99 I sold you? I have changed my mind - ok if I send you the original payment back and you return it yeah?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:26 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
Artist, what is the cooling off period on that 0.99 I sold you? I have changed my mind - ok if I send you the original payment back and you return it yeah?

Laughing How much did you sell it to me for?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 7 of 58