Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 270, 271, 272 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Washed the bodywork, and then used T Cut on it. Hasn't been washed in a long time (probably not this century). Slowly getting bit together for it

All the best

Katy

It's like I don't even know who you are anymore

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, this happened at the weekend

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4385/36210984540_362232f416_b.jpgSpear racking by kalwidget, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4336/36210930870_ed841e4c42_k.jpgSpear carrier by kalwidget, on Flickr

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:46 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpearPal eh?
Noice

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodbye Continental TKC80's, hello Avon Roadriders.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the KTM MOT'd, passed no advisories Thumbs Up

Removed the Oxford heated grips and put some MX style ones on instead. I liked the heated grips but they stopped working, plus they both slip quite badly, I could be sitting at 80 with a steady throttle and my speed would slowly drop as the throttle tube slipped back to it's starting point.

After that I changed the front pads which I had been dreading for months but it was very easy with the Brembos, no dramas. £95 for pads though Sick

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
£95 for pads though Sick

Shocked Sod that, I'd use my feet!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

New pads all round for the duke.

EBC FA244HH Fronts
EBC FA244 Rear.

£53.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
hello Avon Ditchfinders.

ftfy ; - )

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:10 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
hello Avon Ditchfinders.

ftfy ; - )

Think it was Dunlop Ditchfinders. Avon had the Roadrunner, known as Roadrashes in my circles. "Roadriders" seem like they could fit the bill nicely though Smile

Something I noticed recently: Pirelli have come out with a new version of the Phantom, same tread pattern as the old ones from the 70s and 80s. Seen them as standard issue on a couple of Triumph retros lately.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rust inhibitor everyfuckingwhere. Matte blacked it. It's marginally less hated. Wheels really need sorting.

https://i.imgur.com/lRdGEv2l.jpg

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:20 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced rear wheel bearings, turned out only the right-hand one had gone. Good to have it done, didn't feel like they had been done in a while (if ever).
Discovered I lost the power lead for my optimiser Evil or Very Mad Can't buy the parts separately either.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 19 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed pads. Found shitty 6 pots have sticky pistons and are trying to shit their dust seals (the smaller ones again). Stripped cleaned and rebuilt with the old (4 month old) seals. Gave up bleeding as they are being a bastard (as usual) will finish doing it tomorrow.

Now perusing eBay for a set of Nissin 4 pots, I've had an absolute tits full of the 6 pots.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the ZX6R out for a proper test ride after refitting the carburettors earlier in the week. It ran and rode beautifully, and the massive flat spot at 8-9k has completely gone.

Went home feeling pleased thinking this was the end of the bike's refurb (in July it passed it's first MOT in 7 years) but then noticed the new fork seals are leaking already.

Also it looks like one of the new front wheel bearings has squeezed out a blob of shiny black grease which, when smeared onto a white rag, is actually green. There is no free play at the wheel though.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: stopped being potato and solved my issue.

Last edited by M.C on 20:10 - 20 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear wheel off, stripped, paint removed from bubbly spots (most of it), drum cleaned out, keyed up the remaining paint, matt blacked, re-greased, re-assembled. No longer crunches and drags, not a fucked bearing it was just dry as fuck.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out into the garage and sat on it for a bit. Wondered forlornly when I'll be able to get back on the road. Was cheered up a bit by being able to use my left hand to lift my right hand onto the grip for the first time since my op The world's smallest violin player, just for you!

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Rear wheel off, stripped, paint removed from bubbly spots (most of it), drum cleaned out, keyed up the remaining paint, matt blacked, re-greased, re-assembled. No longer crunches and drags, not a fucked bearing it was just dry as fuck.

Does it not have sealed wheel bearings? Surprised

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Took the ZX6R out for a proper test ride after refitting the carburettors earlier in the week. It ran and rode beautifully, and the massive flat spot at 8-9k has completely gone.

Went home feeling pleased thinking this was the end of the bike's refurb (in July it passed it's first MOT in 7 years) but then noticed the new fork seals are leaking already.

Also it looks like one of the new front wheel bearings has squeezed out a blob of shiny black grease which, when smeared onto a white rag, is actually green. There is no free play at the wheel though.

Wouldn't worry too much about a bit of excess grease coming out. However when you did the fork seals did you do the bushings as well?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnspeedySam wrote:
Does it not have sealed wheel bearings? Surprised

No - I suspect someone cheaped out replacing them, all references/replacements I can find are sealed. They seem to be fine now they have some grease, "graunchy" sound is gone, but I'll give it some stick tomorrow and find out for sure. If they need replacing, they need replacing.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
Discovered I lost the power lead for my optimiser Evil or Very Mad Can't buy the parts separately either.

Dependant in connector there are loads available on ebay.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnspeedySam wrote:
Wouldn't worry too much about a bit of excess grease coming out. However when you did the fork seals did you do the bushings as well?

The leaking forks were spotted at the MOT so I had the seals replaced then. It's possible the seals popped on the way there because the bike had been off the road for years. There were some rust spots which have been removed and I can't feel any pitting. The receipt doesn't mention bushes so you might be right. Looks like I'll be stripping forks for the first time then.

Regarding the grease, on further inspection there is a ring of it where the axle goes through the fork so I think the bike shop put it there and a blob has found its way inboard towards the wheel, rather than coming out of the bearing. I'll keep an eye on it.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 20 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an interesting failure on the Bandit on Saturday. I pressure washed it and as is my wont, went to run the engine to dry things out. It started briefly then cut out and attempting to restart it killed the electrics completely. My first thought was that I'd been a bit too free with the washer but a quick check with my meter showed the battery voltage plummeting every time a high current load was used - very odd. I thought I must have absent-mindedly left the ignition on overnight so on with the optimate for an hour or so until it showed green.

I tried to start it and got the same problem. Took the battery off the bike, clamped the meter leads to the terminals and put a lamp across the battery - dead battery. It must have failed at the moment I started it.

So new battery fitted and many kittens killed today. All is good with the world once again. Very Happy

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:13 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put new number plate on as I broke the old one Embarassed

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing but on Monday it was remapped at Parkitt Performance with the Woolich Racing software and they also fitted the race tools pack, i didn't get the launch control or pitlane speed limiter activated though. I only really wanted the quick shifter and Auto blipper.

He also did a back-to-back between the standard air filter and a K&N that i supplied, the K&N made more power above 9k and a bit more induction noise so its staying.

It picked up 10 bhp finishing at 153.6 bhp with 75 lbft at the tyre.

https://imageshack.com/a/img924/4417/Te7Vi2.jpg

https://youtu.be/DJNoZ5e4Jug

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:44 - 23 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not today but this week:

Took the CBR to Cadwell Park, twice. Monday was a bit of a let down as my bike failed to start after the first session. Spent ages messing about charging batteries and things, and eventually traced it to reg-rec failure. Went to a little place in Louth called LMT motorcycles, and they just happened to have a CBR1000 reg-rec which was nearly identical to my own. Fitted it and then did a second trackday at Cadwell yesterday. The bike worked flawlessly, and towards the end of the day I gained back a little of the aggression I'd lost since I stopped pitbike racing. I was one of the quicker ones in the Novice group, which isn't that much to shout about but there were people in that group who probably shouldn't have been there as you always seem to get on trackdays these days.

Anyway, TL/DR I fitted a new reg-rec.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 219 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 270, 271, 272 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 271 of 409