Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 345, 346, 347 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:46 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to remove all of the Ktech suspension from my MT09.

Started with the rear shock 4 weeks ago, flogged that.

Then Tuesday I removed the fork internals/springs and reinstalled the OEM kit. Took 5hours start to finish. Including clearing up the mess I'd made and boxing the Ktech kit back up. Rather pleased with that! Considering it was the second time I've ever touched forks, first being the initial installation.

Stuck them up on gumtree, sold last night. Nice quick turn around. Time to decide if flog my MT09 and deauville now and buy something that can do it all.
Evotion This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some PR4's fitted, and had an interesting ride home with the old ones... in rain.

£250 fitted: not bad I'd say.

https://i.postimg.cc/ydYv8tht/tyres.jpg

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I've finally fixed a complex series of problems on the NC23.

First problem was a slow leak from one of the carbs, I'd already had them off to sort this and had found what looked like a fingernail trimming in one of the float valves. The final fix turned out to be replacement of the valve and seats - the leaking carb was actually the only one that had a new looking valve and seat in it which was rather baffling...

Second problem was that it was only firing on two cylinders - irritatingly enough it was two off of a single coil so naturally I suspected that to be at fault. It tested perfectly though, and everything else seemed alright in the ignition side so I ran it up again. Still only firing on two and two different cylinders each off of a different coil at that (different pair to the first run). Cup of tea and thinking cap on and I realised that I'd never heard the fuel pump actually run. I temporarily bypassed the cut off relay and it ran perfectly - on three cylinders this time. Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall

OK so maybe it's down to a badly fouled plug - after all this time the non-firing cylinder was the one with the original carb issue. New set of plugs and the loan of a long reach Honda plug spanner from the local mechanic (top bloke Thumbs Up ). Fired it up and YES!! Running on all cylinders.

For the moment, the relay remains bypassed and for the life of me, I can't see any reason why it shouldn't remain so. The original relay is ridiculously expensive and eBay only has second hand ones from the States or Europe (it's a Shindengen CF 304). It's obviously a fast semiconductor relay so if I do come up with a reason it should be there then I'll cobble one up out of an SCR, a transistor, a diode and a couple of resistors. Mr. Green

I've not seen any wiring diagrams, but a faulty tip switch would shut off fuel in the event of a spill. Possible?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 16 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

I've not seen any wiring diagrams, but a faulty tip switch would shut off fuel in the event of a spill. Possible?

It's not a tip switch as such, it's a relay that is initiated by the ignition control unit so that it's only closed and the pump activated when the engine is running or turning over on the starter. The pump has the usual back pressure sensor that switches it off when the bowls are full.

I suppose there's a slight risk of a fuel leak if the bike is down but that would still be the case if the engine is running anyway - as far as I can see there are no tilt switches involved. If the engine isn't running then the pump would keep going until the back pressure sensor switches it off. I can't see it being a huge risk.

Because it's a high speed solid state relay that opens and closes at the same rate as the ignition pulses, it's ridiculously expensive (£60 + vat). I suppose I could make one - it's not a difficult circuit to design at all.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Failed MOT on play in the hub a couple of weeks back. Got tester to do a proper going through to give me a list to sort outas soon as he said it would fail. Spent most of the time so far waiting for the correct stake nut to be sent. Ended up getting one from someone else in a VFR group as the fucktards I ordered from kept sending me an M30 instead of M35, which as far as I can tell, is for an Ifor Williams trailer.

Once it arrived, I Stripped it down, cleaned it. Checked bearings for play - none. Cush seems tight enough. Blasted and painted brake torque arm while I was at it.
https://i.imgur.com/n5oZsNsl.jpg

Rebuilt hub, making note of correct direction of conical washer. stripped and cleaned caliper back on.
https://i.imgur.com/rKARsvql.jpg

All done. No play.
https://i.imgur.com/aSBYpbgl.jpg

Also replaced left hand grip, will get brake/rear light bulb (one filament on one bulb out)and clean out contacts in switch tomorrow, which should finish off the advisiories.

Work rat - Replaced chain and tightened up rear sprocket, despite having locking tabs on the bolts, a touch of play had crept into it, making a clunk when getting back on the throttle.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 17 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the job I most dread on the Fazer, changed the rear brake pads. As usual the pistons were seized solid, took three sodding hours to compress the bastards with enormous mole grips. Next time I think I'll just buy a new caliper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:24 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed fork oil.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/68672046_2887739051452318_8435478853547196416_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_oc=AQlHSTmXF0RN-JX1dCZkyhbbm20zzaUiaVFNbp6XxROaekWyB17TBe_7Yk5K2IzpEpg&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=f7cfc782310b282a2796f8ec543752c5&oe=5DDB3765

And also changed the front/rear brake shoes on the Suzuki.. Originals were very worn, and one had a bit of delamination- didn't take much to pry the material off.

https://i.ibb.co/jMXXb6k/Whats-App-Image-2019-08-05-at-09-02-07.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Evotion This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 23 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT'd the viffer. 2 advisories I was aware of.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 23 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing the redundant pillion seat...

https://i.imgur.com/1SNlfzo.jpg?1

with this:

https://i.imgur.com/F823ZH5.jpg?1

I didn't like the idea of Chinesium rubbing against plastic so I thought I'd stick a bit of Gorilla tape on the bottom:

https://i.imgur.com/5dwHHFI.jpg?1

And without the pillion footpegs:

https://i.imgur.com/17Ww1Lt.jpg?1

Interesting... on the nearside I just unbolted the whole arm. On the offside the arm also supports the stock exhaust but the footpeg and its mount unbolt, unlike the other side which is all welded together as one piece. Almost like some one knew I was going to do this Smile

Just need to get some hex bolts to tidy things up a little.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 23 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I peeked at it through the shed window on the way to put the bins out. It's still there.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 23 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki had idling problems over the past couple of weeks (randomly cutting out), so I'd been gradually turning up the idle screw, which seemed to sort it out. Today I had a look and realised that I'd forgotten to tighten the screws connecting the linking plate to the bank of carbs, and, as a result, they'd fallen out long ago! I'd done this because it's easier to mount the carbs if they have a little give between them. I'd forgotten to tighten up after mounting the carbs. This meant I'd been using the bike with the carbs well out of balance even though I'd just bench-balanced them... Put new screws in, and tried to start the bike. Wouldn't start. Figured out that the idle screw was wound in way too far, as a result of my tweaking! Unscrewed it and all is well again. Bike running perfectly.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 23 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Replacing the redundant pillion seat...

Some requirement by a useless law? Sod sitting on that: even I'd think I was going to fall off.

Please move the chain up a couple of cast's (?) so its not lying on the ground (hopefully that's not its actual permanent resting place). Try and get something a bit thicker. Thumbs Up

Blurredman wrote:

That.. pc.. screen.. though.. Shocked

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:28 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Some requirement by a useless law? Sod sitting on that: even I'd think I was going to fall off.

Please move the chain up a couple of cast's (?) so its not lying on the ground (hopefully that's not its actual permanent resting place). Try and get something a bit thicker. Thumbs Up

Easy enough to swap back for the MoT if that's even a thing (didn't we all have this discussion a while back... even so, 3 years off.)

Yeah, that's the old chain for the Superlight - purely ornamental. I'm fitting a tracker tomorrow and will go shopping for a better chain after payday Smile

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:28 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the pegs. Done.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 24 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RSV100R has gone off to the dyno today to see if a fuelling problem is causing it to cut out at low speeds.

Hopefully I'll have some.nice printouts and figures to boast about.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 26 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viffer decided to run on 3 again. Last time I had no spark on Cylinder 2, so we just snagged a known good set with 10K miles on a facebook group. Plusgas all over the brackets as they're off the 3rd gen, and I'm just using the coils.
https://i.imgur.com/xky3pmEl.jpg

Offending coil out.
https://i.imgur.com/eDnu4T3l.jpg

Replaced said coil - No difference. As James May would say - "Oh Cock!"

So, tank off.
https://i.imgur.com/boT26Wdl.jpg

Airbox off.
https://i.imgur.com/oQrTlIvl.jpg

Poked jet/MIG cleaning tips into the jets. Cleaned out all the offending debris inhabiting the airbox.
https://i.imgur.com/ZA8b5Csl.jpg

Also cleaned out secondary air filter that had seen better days.
https://i.imgur.com/VhejL6rl.jpg

Bodged with a cut up sponge until a new one arrives.
https://i.imgur.com/m5XIMq9l.jpg

One "spirited" ride later, and I'm happy that she's happy again.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 26 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given it a wipe over as yesterday I was forced to ride it through a small amount of water where a drain had burst. Shocked

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 26 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received thin wall plug sockets from eBay. Changed plugs on the 851, cured the horrific misfire / inability to run below four thousand revs. Twenty mile test run and feeling happy!
(Didn’t even need to take too much fairing off, just the seat, tank unit. I feared much worse!)

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 26 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Given it a wipe over as yesterday I was forced to ride it through a small amount of water where a drain had burst. Shocked

Holy fuck, you ok?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:37 - 27 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tightened the chain by 1/3 turn. Despite being set to manufacturers spec it's still slack, wobbly and resembles a strimmer wire but it stays on.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 27 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
grr666 wrote:

Holy fuck, you ok?

Barely but thanks for asking. I don't like getting bikes wet unless it's with cleaning products.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 28 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Striple passed its MOT. Thumbs Up

XR sidelight hasn't worked for a while, replaced it and still no joy. Wiggled the bars and nada. Wiggled the switch and bingo.

Took switchgear apart in hot + sweaty garage in 33c. Fingers slipped. Ball bearing, contact plate and two tiny springs pinged into the dusty concrete floor.
(luckily had put down kitchen roll in advance, expecting to drop something).

Scraped + cleaned the contacts etc

Then took 2 hours to get the little buggers all back again. Springs and bearing pinging all over the place. I suck.
But eventually luck intervened and the lights are now working. Very Happy

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 29 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Striple passed its MOT. Thumbs Up

Snap. Dance!

1 advisory though, tyres are getting near the mark. Still feel ok to me.

I might start another, yes another 'what tyre' thread.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 345, 346, 347 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 346 of 409